Running Bear's April 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh - it is Holy Week, the forces of The Enemy do run amok. Trouble on the homefront. "When Momma ain't happy . . . " 'nuff said. No sleep last night.

So when I got home after service last night and saw the box from Factory Direct on the front deck, said a prayer of Thinsgiving she did not see it and open it to find that new loco. USPS notice was supposed to arrive today. Normally I am rejoicing over early deliveries.

I will share pics later.

speaking of cricket...

My first cozy mystery included the ghost of the "Most cricket of cricket players"

And the reviews, because the setting was technically on the Welsh side of Offa's Dike was that Welsh prefer Rugby... why didn't the author cover Rugby instead of Cricket?

Being American, Rugby isn't even on my sportsball radar, though it is played some here (got a friend who's a coach for his son's high school team in the Virginia area)

Is there any award or concept in Rugby that compares to the idea of "being the most cricket of cricket players"?
That was the entire core of this character's character. He was sooooooo Cricket.
Ooh ooh was he there when they planted the tree in Kent cricket ground, omg he was not responsible for its demise….shock horror

Good Morning All!! - and what a beautiful morning it is in the 20F temps under a dark, cloudy sky and expecting light snow.
Let it come, I have a layout to work on in a cozy, temperature controlled, artificially lite basement, where I can't see outside from. I can create my own little world where the snow never falls and there's no such thing as a snow-shovel.
Yippee! After a lifetime of working as a tradesman out in the cold, I'm finally free!
View attachment 144483
View attachment 144484
Today, I can work on replacing missing ties, wiring up the new track and committing to a live test, installing Caboose switch throws, and building a 20" bridge. There's no shortage of projects now. - I can't continue laying more track until a package comes in the mail. I need rail-joiners and a couple of different switches.
I noticed that posted photos of projects from different modellers, often include paint pot examples from the Citadel line. Thought I'd give them a try, and purchased some while in the city the other day. I bought these specifically for figure painting.
View attachment 144491

Willie - Hard to say looking at a PC, but, hte yellow looks like Santa Fe yellow to me. - I thought the web looked a great part of the layout.

Dave B - Your layout progress photo's are very welcome - they are inspiring and timely in my case.

Greg - Wow, 8 teeth at once sounds torturously painful. I'm trying to keep all of mine as long as I can; self-defence tool, ya know.

Jaz avalley - Well done on the locomotive paint. The loco looks like a 'Thomas and Friends' engine. Kids don't like that show; adults just think kids like that show.

OBTC - I was going to comment on the 'avoid offending anyone', but, I'd better keep my mouth shut. Those subjects create to much heat.

Well, I want to walk the dog and get to my hobby. The wife is at work, so I have free time for awhile.

Have a great day!
love the classic citadel paints, I have from this era and earlier, superb paints imo

Ugh - it is Holy Week, the forces of The Enemy do run amok. Trouble on the homefront. "When Momma ain't happy . . . " 'nuff said. No sleep last night.

So when I got home after service last night and saw the box from Factory Direct on the front deck, said a prayer of Thinsgiving she did not see it and open it to find that new loco. USPS notice was supposed to arrive today. Normally I am rejoicing over early deliveries.

I will share pics later.
Lol….

Good morning from chilled So. Central Wisconsin. Time for smiles

TomO
View attachment 144488View attachment 144489View attachment 144490
Not boasting..much….but I took the Tesla over a hundred and fifty miles yesterday, and I still had a massive wad of battery power left, and with the nice sun today it will fill up free……
…ummm…what’s that noise Holy Hell…….runs as several rotten eggs thrown in my direction, ducks, swerves, oh bugger where can I hide…l.l

that said, the original investment will make you wince, and it was set to take 12 years to cover the investment, we were going faster,and with rising prices, it will go quicker yet. I think we are on for 8 years and getting better.

That said come winter with low sun it will sit there and sulk, and anyone with a nice woodburner (‘we have one of those) will have a warm cosy area whilst the solar is pretty much a waste of breath, but come early spring to late autumn we are winners, summer I think the electricity company takes our excess and lights up the rest of the street.Typi0cal you get the most energy when you need it the least…..ho hum.

Good Morning All!! - and what a beautiful morning it is in the 20F temps under a dark, cloudy sky and expecting light snow.
Let it come, I have a layout to work on in a cozy, temperature controlled, artificially lite basement, where I can't see outside from. I can create my own little world where the snow never falls and there's no such thing as a snow-shovel.
Yippee! After a lifetime of working as a tradesman out in the cold, I'm finally free!
View attachment 144483
View attachment 144484
Today, I can work on replacing missing ties, wiring up the new track and committing to a live test, installing Caboose switch throws, and building a 20" bridge. There's no shortage of projects now. - I can't continue laying more track until a package comes in the mail. I need rail-joiners and a couple of different switches.
I noticed that posted photos of projects from different modellers, often include paint pot examples from the Citadel line. Thought I'd give them a try, and purchased some while in the city the other day. I bought these specifically for figure painting.
View attachment 144491

Willie - Hard to say looking at a PC, but, hte yellow looks like Santa Fe yellow to me. - I thought the web looked a great part of the layout.

Dave B - Your layout progress photo's are very welcome - they are inspiring and timely in my case.

Greg - Wow, 8 teeth at once sounds torturously painful. I'm trying to keep all of mine as long as I can; self-defence tool, ya know.

Jaz avalley - Well done on the locomotive paint. The loco looks like a 'Thomas and Friends' engine. Kids don't like that show; adults just think kids like that show.

OBTC - I was going to comment on the 'avoid offending anyone', but, I'd better keep my mouth shut. Those subjects create to much heat.

Well, I want to walk the dog and get to my hobby. The wife is at work, so I have free time for awhile.

Have a great day!
no I get you I never liked Thomas as a kid, I did lone Ivor though and the 🐉 dragon

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Pf9wPQmFk...0+TV+choral+group+conductor+tapping+stick.jpg
1650032896072.png

I'll have my Tesla Model Y sometime early June. Got solar panels so fill ups are free now.
It's comin. The administration said they will do away with fossil fuels. I didn't want to wait and get caught in the rising prices of the rush and nowhere to get rid of my internal combustion vehicle. Same with the solar panels.

Good Friday Morning All. It's clear here and 56°, sun just peeked over the horizon. Looking at 87° today, 78° tomorrow and 82° with thunderstorms Sunday. But the NWS has been wrong on their last two predictions of rain, maybe they'll get it right this time. I watered parts of the garden yesterday. Looking at moderate winds later on today, 15-18 mph from the south which brings humidity up from the Gulf.

Boy! Gasoline prices were everywhere yesterday on the grocery trek. I saw $3.45 at several stations, generally $3.59 at most and upwards of $3.73 at a few. When I filled up Monday, regular at Kroger was $3.49. Regarding groceries, prices this week were up by my guesstimate almost 10%, however I did get a prime rib on sale for $4.99/lb...hamburger meat was $7.99/lb!!! Whole hams were 88¢/lb. I guess that pork is plentiful since most producers can't sell it in Kalifornia any more.
Since today is Good Friday, at least the Stock Market won't go down. Last day of planning menus around seafood! I don't mind fish for supper once a week, but I like my bacon in the morning.
After the grocery trek yesterday, I mowed for a while, then replaced more of the near-death tomato plants from last week's freeze. The Yellow Squash that I planted on 4-4 emerged yesterday, looks like 100% germination. I still have about a dozen more tomatoes to plant

Thanks for all of the comments and likes to the latest project updates from yesterday; Smudge, Guy, Karl, James, Patrick, Sherrel, Dave B, Steve J, Chad, Tom O, Curt, Hughie, Tom, IB Ken, OB Ken, Jaz, Mikey, Rick. To everyone who liked that tiny spider's web, alas, it's already gone. That one was actually well placed. Mostly I have to remove them from snow plows on the front of engines and in and around scenery elements. I would prefer them to disappear altogether.

I only spent a little time out in the train shed yesterday. Between errands until early afternoon and then outdoor chores later on, there wasn't really enough time for much. I did touch up some missed spots on the loco handrails and used some tacky glue to hold a couple of mounting points in place.
IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG
IMG_0673.JPG

Now I just have to navigate the web to find mu hoses for this model. I am also going to seriously consider this model for my first ever attempt at weathering a diesel.
I did no work on the building yesterday.

OB Ken - Hate to read about the ongoing eye problems; I'm sure that you hate it more. Good luck with an eye doctor appointment.
Tom O - Thanks for the tip on the Hill Country. Sadly we are going to miss this years display since other aspects of life got in our way.
Troy - Very interesting discussion regarding an online book author's background.
Guy - Yes it does very much match the Santa Fe yellow really well. This is the second loco that I have had to touch up. The early Athearn plastic railings faded quickly under the fluorescent lighting.

As I posted above, today is Good Friday. In our Catholic liturgy, tomorrow is Holy Saturday for no other reason than to give it a name.
Among other things remembered today, today is Jackie Robinson Day; and it is also commemorates the day that the Titantic sank after hitting the iceberg on the 14th.

Everybody have a wonderful day.

Good afternoon,

It is a chilly 21°. We had some spotty snow overnight, however I am reminded that 4 years ago we had 12". At that time I had a senior community of 108 one level units to clear walkways and steps. That was a bummer. Especially since within a few days the snow was gone. However, not much worse than 100 disgruntled seniors. Funny thing, I was older than about 1/2 of them.

Yesterday we had the wood ducks again. Also, a pair of hooded mergansers stuck around most of the afternoon, according to wife.

Flo - another cup of coffee would be fine. Thanks!

Steve -" I feel ya". I sometimes cringe when getting a package, wondering what the reaction of the other half would be. Weird how unpredictable it is, sometimes she is "all in" with my new item. Other times, not so much.

Patrick - I get migraines as well, though not as bad as yours. Mine are triggered by the bright light, or excess of fluorescents, and I have to be stressed as well. Usually gone in 15 - 30 minutes if I can get away from stimulation, be quiet. Luckily, mine only vision related, no pain like you are experiencing. I see these wavy halos around the periphery, sometimes closing in. Shutting one eye does absolutely nothing, so it is in my brain.

Smudge - looking forward to your progress on the engine house.

Willie - still waiting for pics of fresh garden produce. Up here, radishes are first. However, the ground is still frozen!

No new layout photos, here is one from the old one:

contest4.13 004.JPG

I love the trucks from this era, however decided to model an older era for a change. Just noticed the back wheel is airborne, suspension must be stuck ;)

Getting off work early today - yippee

Looking forward to Easter, I love the old time hymns we sing at our country church.

More later, Dave LASM

Good Afternoon Everyone.....sunny but still very windy and unseasonable cold for this time of the year. Spring and Fall are my favorite times of the year. There are signs of life out in the planting areas with the Daffodils leading the way and many are in full bloom. A local construction company owner is coming over to give us a bid on a six foot high wooden fence to hide the neighbors trash cans and other junk that sit along his garage. When I sit at my kitchen table that's the view I want to hide and the wooden fence will make a great background for other plants and flowers.

Bid on a weathered patched Santa Fe locomotive, but I haven't heard if my bid was accepted by the owner as of yet. A bit pricey, but I believe well worth the cost. Excellent fading of the paint and over-all light weathering on most areas.

My Accurail MR&T refrigerator car will get a light wash with a dark brown color and some air brushing of dirt along the bottom of the car and the ends. I'll use a oil paint for the wash and acrylic for the air brushing.

Still have some bleeding of the tooth sockets where the teeth were pulled. No big deal, but a hassle. I had a muffin today, my only real food since Monday other than a cup of soup and some ice cream. Feel sort of weak. Egg foo Young tonight.

Taxes are in the mail. Paid taxes this year for both State and Federal.

Not too much to add today.................

Greg

##################

Steve -" I feel ya". I sometimes cringe when getting a package, wondering what the reaction of the other half would be. Weird how unpredictable it is, sometimes she is "all in" with my new item. Other times, not so much.

I'm in the same boat...Cathy doesn't care about what I spend on model railroading, but what she is upset about is my buying items and not working on the layout. After seeing all the locomotive roll in, I don't blame her one bit. Using the term, "I ordered that locomotive so long ago that I forgot about it" just doesn't work anymore.

Greg

DAVE B - I like the models from that era as well. Wasn't too long after that that I began to have trouble naming makes and models - now it is non-existent!

WILLIE - Why do they call the CF-7's ugly? I actually think they are neat looking. The only ugly locomotive to me is a BL-2 .. now that is UGLY!

KEN - Nice build on the warship! The camouflage is excellent! Just wondering how many "sun" days do you have in that part of the world? AND how many panels will you have?

Supposed to be 75f here today under mostly sunny skies. Condition on the MIL has not changed - the Spousal Unit and sister are due in Hawaii later today.
Her text to me said they were 6 hours behind due to rough seas.

DAVE B - I like the models from that era as well. Wasn't too long after that that I began to have trouble naming makes and models - now it is non-existent!

WILLIE - Why do they call the CF-7's ugly? I actually think they are neat looking. The only ugly locomotive to me is a BL-2 .. now that is UGLY!

KEN - Nice build on the warship! The camouflage is excellent! Just wondering how many "sun" days do you have in that part of the world? AND how many panels will you have?

Supposed to be 75f here today under mostly sunny skies. Condition on the MIL has not changed - the Spousal Unit and sister are due in Hawaii later today.
Her text to me said they were 6 hours behind due to rough seas.
Ugly? I think the one they call the shark is the ugliest.

I will vote for the SW-1 as the coolest.

Dave LASM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back