Trying out a micro layout (or close to one).

Iā€™ve ā€œpavedā€ the city center streets and will be touching them up later today. Most of my attention will be on the portion where the ramp meets the streets as itā€™s very rough. Once this is done, Iā€™ll be moving onto either painting the retaining walls or weathering the track.

8C7A1711-74C7-4410-9224-331267956740.jpeg

Since some changes have occurred on the layout from the original design over the course of the build, Iā€™ve updated the SCARM design plan for anyone interested. I've also decided on another additional change since my last post including utilizing only a single industrial building for the mattress factory. I felt as though it would be better and improve the look of the layout if I had more space to model additional details for the mattress factory scene than if I would with two buildings included in the limited space I had.

revisedlayout1.png

Last edited:
Just a few more touchups and the roads will be complete! Iā€™ve taped the entire track in preparation for painting of the various layout components. I will be holding off on painting/weathering the rails until all plaster work is complete.

I ordered some 1/16ā€ cork sheeting that Iā€™ll be utilizing to raise the height of both the downtown district buildings and the industrial buildings. The Merchantā€™s Row kits come with a base that includes a sidewalk and I need the edge of the curbs to be 1/16ā€ higher than the already paved 1/16ā€ streets. I felt cork would work the best as a sturdy base. The industrial buildings have docks that will need to be raised closer to the height of the Kato track too. Once all cork is glued down with some liquid nails, Iā€™ll plaster around it to blend it into the layout.

68237AED-E20B-4EDC-849C-2AD1DA8419A4.jpeg

FA38BCC5-BA37-49AA-9A63-0A46714DB548.jpeg

As I was constructing the ramp, I felt as though it was missing something. I began to search google for inspiration and decided to install raised borders along each side as I liked the look of some of the retaining walls similar to this style I saw online. Iā€™ll be touching them up later in preparation for the next step.
7E4F52E3-2AEA-4803-9954-21CD8474CDC9.jpeg

19C45C3A-DDAF-4600-9F1D-F4B9BD1130C6.jpeg

A29F4BFF-D72E-4D4C-B3F0-D649C64C3727.jpeg

Iā€™ve applied the first couple coats of ā€œCountry Greyā€ acrylic paint to the retaining walls. Iā€™ll most likely apply one more coat just to be sure Iā€™ve covered it thoroughly.

1CC9D6B4-B658-4DE8-8EC2-61BCA0BA11C8.jpeg

E2318B01-219E-4FA7-9F04-EF935E63D20D.jpeg

Iā€™m trying to decide if I should paint the tunnel portals the same color and then weather them accordingly or if I should paint them differently and make them stand out moreā€¦.Need to think on it.

I received a couple things in the mail yesterday. I ordered Woodland Scenics Asphalt Top coat (more than I needed haha) and I was able to find the Sicken Tire Co. building for a good price on Ebay. I was really set on using this building for the bakery, so Iā€™m glad I found it:)

3E0CFC66-8872-45C1-B7E5-A4AF0E88C74A.jpeg

I also decided that the retaining wall color is a little too dark so Iā€™ll be applying a lighter color in hopes that it gives the look I would like.

Is the retaining wall supposed to be concrete? Might consider a sponge technique with a lighter color, let some of the darker show throughā€¦
It is supposed to be concrete. Iā€™ve already applied a lighter coat so not sure if I could do the sponge technique in a reverse fashionā€¦maybe spot it with darker gray? Weathering is new to me.

92A7824F-F053-490B-B634-F8532FD24128.jpeg

I mixed the light gray with some white for a VERY light gray. Looks blue in the pic but itā€™s not.

lol Yeah, new to me tooā€¦. I was thinking a project like this wouldnā€™t have a real finished look, vertical, large area, and just a retaining wall. There are definitely those here who can give you better tips than I ever will šŸ˜‰

lol Yeah, new to me tooā€¦. I was thinking a project like this wouldnā€™t have a real finished look, vertical, large area, and just a retaining wall. There are definitely those here who can give you better tips than I ever will šŸ˜‰
Oh yes, this project IS my layout haha. Not planning on building any other for some time. I just think micro layouts are really unique and challenging! Iā€™m planning to detail it as much as possible. And no worries:)

Coming along nicely, I like!
If you were to make a small retaining wall along the track coming out of the tunnel you could fill in for a slope to about half way up the road, then it wouldnā€™t be as shear of a drop. Just a thought. šŸ˜ƒ

Coming along nicely, I like!
If you were to make a small retaining wall along the track coming out of the tunnel you could fill in for a slope to about half way up the road, then it wouldnā€™t be as shear of a drop. Just a thought. šŸ˜ƒ
Very intriguing idea! Iā€™ll do some more serious thinking about it tomorrow, but it would definitely make it look good!

Okayā€¦I am not satisfied with the retaining wall color so while I go insane trying to find the right one haha, I figured I would get started on painting the roads.

C7C2CB11-949A-4781-8EE8-040E24E9C4D6.jpeg

6DD70035-753A-45EF-8DD1-778CDDCE7C7F.jpeg
I have put down two coats of Woodland Scenics Asphalt Top Coat and Iā€™ll follow this up with a weathering technique I found online mixing both the asphalt top coat and gray acrylic paint to produce a color which is applied via a sponge to create a textured and worn look. The article states to mix the concrete top coat to produce the color but I just used the gray acrylic paint I had on hand instead. Here is a test I did of the technique:
199A1729-F553-4C4C-9D9C-3442B7FF65E5.jpeg

Iā€™ve progressed a little further on the roads. I applied the paint mixture with a sponge and I think itā€™s turned out okay. It gives the faded look that I was hoping for:)

0D98A0DB-6382-44E5-877A-492CA27928F6.jpeg

I need to do some touchups around the ramp and road crossings but itā€™s getting there! Iā€™ll be adding some details to it including cracks/potholes and patch work later on.

Back