Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christian: Your curious machine looks to be be a burned up hay baler. It would produce the big round bales. I say burned, as it has rusty metal and no tires on the wheels.
You won too !
3097622233.gif

Good Morning all! A beautiful morning here in H-Town, however the humidity and rain are forecasted to return today. Rain for the next 4 days based on the weather guessers predictions.
I had to get up earlier than usual as I have a Dr. appointment, wellness check. I needed to get breakfast in before 8:00, then 6 hour fasting.
I think I'm in third place with everybody else with a guess of "hay baler".

Only in Texas
1632749579634.png

STAY SAFE
LATER

Tom: Do you have other types of rolling stock or are just setting a total limit 70 pulpwood cars? Again you have a great looking layout and so realistic.

Greg
Greg

I “only” have 15 pulpwood cars.

You are a bad guy. I read this and had to dig out my list of rolling stock I want to reach 70. I counted 84 wants and that is 14 too many. Even though I have expanded the layout. Removing the Ethanol plant and adding the Grain Terminal has messed up the numbers. Looks like the box cars for the Paper Mill will need to be reduced, drop 3 pulpwood cars, yes thank you Greg.

Tom:eek:

Good morning from the south deck in So. Central Wisconsin. I note my location as the guys living in eastern Wisconsin or north central Wisconsin get such different weather patterns. Mid 60’s with glorious sunshine and heading into the 80’s.

Yesterday also was a warm Fall day and I will take as many as I can get. No plans for today as Terry hits 70 today and the day is hers to command. No purchases at the Art Festival which totally surprised me. When we went Saturday I thought the pricing was excessive. When Terry and the daughter went back yesterday to do the purchases they basically came to the same conclusion. Also, the sculpture I thought would fit in the yard was gone.

I did get all the rail finished last night. Wiring this week but not today or Wednesday.

I won’t even tell you what I thought Christians farm machinery was. Hey, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs

Enjoy your day

Good Morning Everyone. Here it looks like mostly clear and 62°. Looks like we might finally have a change to fall weather coming up. The three day rain event that the NWS is predicting for Wednesday has been changed to a five day event, and the temperature won't be getting above 80° from then until the end of the ten day forecast. Time to resume more intense outdoor chores.

Thanks for both the comments and likes regarding the update on the Cooter's Liquor build; Tom O, Steve J, Christian, Sherrel, Joe, Jerry, Hughie, Karl, Gary, Patrick, Garry, Jaz, Tom, Chad.

A big pile of scrambled eggs and a handful of bacon this morning Flo, along with the usual glass of OJ.

Progress continued yesterday in the train shed. First up was painting some of the foundation stones, wall tops and concrete patches on the walls. Doors were installed along with the front steps.
IMG_7828.JPG

IMG_7829.JPG

I also applied a bit of weathering powder but it doesn't show up well in the flash of the camera.
I test fitted the roof and it was a bit short, but that is easily fixed by overlapping the tar paper at each end. I started by gluing the supports in, they were not provided so I made them with .080" x .080" Evergreen styrene.
IMG_7824.JPG

IMG_7825.JPG

Time now to add the black construction paper tar paper to the roof.
IMG_7826.JPG

IMG_7827.JPG

I got as far as cutting it into strips, but ran out of time before applying it.
Along with all that, while waiting for paint to dry, I examined the contents of Box Two of the Ramone's Storage & Salvage Hydrocal kit that I also received. There are four bags of Hydrocal detailed castings, totaling over 80 pieces.
IMG_7807.JPG

Here's what is in the first bag that I opened.
IMG_7808.JPG

And the second.
IMG_7809.JPG

Of the 63 parts pictured here, 18 are duplicates which doesn't matter to me. Here's an overall shot taken from the instruction sheet showing how they placed some of them.
IMG_7815.JPG

Lots and lots of them. Whether or not I will use all of them in this scene remains to be seen. Later today I'll get out the sanding sticks, fine files and Exacto kinves and start trimming them up. I feel that Cooter's will be mostly finished early this afternoon dependent on the number of signs that I install.

Sherrel - The ladies appear to be enjoying themselves.
TV - I gave up on watching it over 25 years ago, with the exception of 45 minutes each weekday morning watching Stuart Varney on Fox Business. I haven't gotten away from the bill however as Arlene has Hulu and Direct TV. The damn thing is on from 7:00 am until 11:00 pm, although there are periods where no one is really watching, like when she walks or fixes her lunch. Phone/internet service here is fiber optic and costs $54.99 a month. I haven't a clue what the cell phones or satellite service costs as she handles all of that.
Gary - Nice progress photos.
Mikey - That's a big bathroom in my world!
You all did nice work on that house on the club layout.
Then, we have some like me who glue their fingers to the layout.
Not to worry, yesterday I glued my elbow to the workbench in a glob of super glue while holding parts together!
Curt - Good for you on the booster shot. We are waiting for the Moderna booster when it becomes approved and available. in Texas. The county health department sent a notification last week that indicates our place on the list once it's approved.
Patrick - Yep! AHM kits have always required painting.
Tom O - A big Happy Birthday to Terry.
Christian - I guessed right but many others posted before me.

How come a wife can take the cork out of a wine bottle, but cannot put it back in??? Even upside down.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Last edited:
Willie: Thanks for the step-by-step. That is very helpful to a beginning modeler that I am.

I recently bought the Walthers 933-4202 Small coaling station. I have not started it yet, but did get out the base. My plan is to wrap a track around the backside for a coal hopper to refill the station. That track will come off the turntable and will be my program track isolated by a center-off DPDT switch. I do of course realize that the plan is very anti-prototype. No loco service area would run a coal fill track off a turntable. But I can do the move with my diesels or 0-6-0s for simulated refills. I will have to get a few coal hoppers, though. Is that how the prototypes did it back in the transition era?

The foster boy did not sleep well last night. Wifeykins awoke during the night with tummy issues and is feeling it hard this morning. So VFW 9 holes in jeopardy.

Did some wiring work for the 16 VDC but made an error and that derailed me.

More scene details-please remember that this On30 layout is a work in progress. We are placing things in mostly long-term positions with the idea to add more structures and details at a later date.

Picture 1- the water gate for adjusting the water level in the log pond. figures working on the gate, row boat and box of parts.
Picture 2- Creosote plant has a one-armed man checking the heater and the mechanic watches to see if repairs to the boiler will hold.
picture 3- the lumber yard crew prepares to load a customer's order into his pickup.

Attachments

• 9.23.21 1.jpg
    9.23.21 1.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 9.23.21 2.jpg
    9.23.21 2.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 9.23.21 3.jpg
    9.23.21 3.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 94
Thanks, MIKE.
I work from a techknowledged handicap! In other words - I'm dumb!
We have just internet. We got their special rate($22.99/month) 18 months ago, when I had to start working from home when COVID hit WI. I went back to working at the call center in July, so I’m sure they will bump us up to the regular rate once they notice that our usage has dropped.

Good Morning all! A beautiful morning here in H-Town, however the humidity and rain are forecasted to return today. Rain for the next 4 days based on the weather guessers predictions.
I had to get up earlier than usual as I have a Dr. appointment, wellness check. I needed to get breakfast in before 8:00, then 6 hour fasting.
I think I'm in third place with everybody else with a guess of "hay baler".

Only in Texas
View attachment 133069

STAY SAFE
LATER
Well, if it ain’t green, what color is it? 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back