Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I just suffered a prime example of why some people are refusing to be vaccinated. After an entire series of incompetencies at the pharmacy, I very specifically emphasized I did not want the fact I had been vaccinated shared with my doctor or the CDC. Lo and behold, the pharmacy went ahead and shared the info, in spite of my privacy request.
Let’s not even go there, as far as the pharmacy giving me the wrong vaccine.

Okay, I just suffered a prime example of why some people are refusing to be vaccinated. After an entire series of incompetencies at the pharmacy, I very specifically emphasized I did not want the fact I had been vaccinated shared with my doctor or the CDC. Lo and behold, the pharmacy went ahead and shared the info, in spite of my privacy request.
Let’s not even go there, as far as the pharmacy giving me the wrong vaccine.

Unless they have a law they have to follow and report it anyway, I suspect this is a HIPAA violation and could be reported if you so desired. I am not advocating it, but also not not advocating it. They won't learn if there is no pushback and consequence.

I just spoke the the pharmacy, and they say it is required to be submitted to the state registry. No response on how they managed to take that to mean they should report it to my doctor. So much for privacy. I guess I might as well just wave a giant flag over my house about it, because when I checked the registry, it had my full name, address, DOB, and what vaccine I had, and when the follow up was expected. I’m glad it wasn’t anything important, like, you know, my medical information, or anything.

The ONLY reason I got the covid shot was if my wife didn't get it she would lose her job. I am not gonna let her go thru it alone. It is not a vaccine no matter what they say. I did not get polio cause I was vaccinated against it. Viruses mutate too fast to make it effective. But I avoid going out and meeting people with colds etc cause I don't want colds.

On to train stuff.

I have tortise switch machines that I want to hook up signals to. Signals are from WeHonest and are 2 head green and yellow. Does anyone here know how to hook them up?

Mike

James: I read your post with interest, and will , with qualifications, agree with some of the points you made.
1. I believe that we have been deliberately deceived concerning this virus. What is unusual is that the deception comes from numerous special interests instead of just one interest. What else is interesting that 21 months into this epidemic, we are still receiving conflicting scientific advice, (ignoring the political BS and other tall tales). It is unfortunate, that the news and entertainment media chose to politicize this issue early on, because of who the occupant of the White House was. As soon as you invoke politics, people's strong feelings override their common sense.

2. Employers can and have set mandatory requirements for their employees. Some of these restrictions, extend beyond the actual workplace, and intrude on the employee's private lives. There is an alternative, one can either comply or resign.

3. Our culture and constitution provide for specific freedoms, and permits the government to temporarily intrude on these freedoms... example, the Patriot act enacted after 9/11, intrudes on our personal freedoms in numerous ways. Banking restrictions and air travel come to mind. Our government has a responsibility to protect us from disease, whether we like it or not.

4. My wife has severe RA, and takes a battery of powerful drugs, her Rheumatologist strongly insisted that she get the shots as soon as they were available, because of her diminished immunity. Just this past Tuesday, my doctor advised that both of us to obtain the booster, as soon as Moderna is approved and available.

5. We pretty much agree that on the whole, the infection rate, and the deaths due to infection are a relatively low percentage of the population. OTOH, you seem to put more faith in media reports of so called Breakthrough infections involving vaccinated people when in fact these infections are minimal in relation to the vaccinated population. (Source: NY Times).

6. People who elect not to be vaccinated are within their right as long as they don't infect me. The same people frequently object to wearing masks. Because of these folks, i have to mask up and limit my activities. What about my rights? That's the real dilemma here, someone always has to give in, to accommodate someone who won't give in.

Personally, I had the two shot series from Moderna with no effects other than a sore arm for a day after the shot. I fully intend to get the Moderna Booster once they are available. I also intend to get the Flu shot in October. I really don't care what others do, if they want to roll the dice, fine with me.

Joe

5. We pretty much agree that on the whole, the infection rate, and the deaths due to infection are a relatively low percentage of the population. OTOH, you seem to put more faith in media reports of so called Breakthrough infections involving vaccinated people when in fact these infections are minimal in relation to the vaccinated population. (Source: NY Times).

Informationally, I'd take that NY Times info with a huge grain of salt. They (meaning the government and other interested parties) don't have the actual data to back that up (that most of the infections are unvaccinated). I didn't keep the link but it was basically a statement from a CDC or other well placed scientist that said it was all hearsay and we don't actually have the data. And we have the counter example, for example, in Israel, where 80% of the population is vaccinated, and a good percentage of their hospital cases are fully vaccinated. I personally saw some data that showed the hospitalization rate for a location in California to be approximately equal to their local vaccination rate. Ie, approximately 70% of their locality was vaccinated and approximately 70% of their Covid cases in their hospitals were vaccinated. Take home point: we just don't have good data and anything you read in the papers/online, is basically just hearsay. This goes BOTH WAYS.

Last edited:
Today is also J J Hill’s birthday . He was born in 1838 and died in 1916.

He was a major figure of railroad history.

He was called The Empire Builder. Great Northern Railway named its premiere passenger train after him. Amtrak continued to use the name , Empire Builder , for its Chicago - Seattle train.

Last edited:
Mikey - If you read this, good luck with the rains from Nicholas. I see where they are battering the whole state of Alabama.
Willie-I spent most of yesterday laying laminate flooring in my trailer master bath at the lake. We may have gotten .5" total
from the tropical storm.
Today has been wet from moisture drug up from the Gulf after the storm.
I am leaving shortly to go work on the club layout at the children's museum in Birmingham.
I have a couple scratch built HO birdhouses to add to the main layout. I also have about 30 O scale figures to glue down today.
Keep the pictures coming, allm of us enjoy them.

Well, hello there internet Model RR peeps

It's Troy again

Today, lets talks about sleeping in style, best wishes for those who are dealing with their or a loved one's medical issue... and about responsibility.

First off, for my contributions to the mail call thread, but i'll post it here. This is what a $60 donation to the local Railroad Historical society will get me... a new sleep shirt. Since I don't normally wear non-collared shirts (guy with big fat neck problem)

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 2.54.51 PM.png

Normally, the FWHRR society or whatever they're called, focusses on the Nickel Plate RR. But, they'd just completed a Wabash Caboose restoration, so Wabash RR gets the attention. Told the wife i'd be sleeping with some high class apparel tonight.

Now, when it comes to vaccines, I have the benefits of:
1. having a wife who working in the medical lab industry, in dealing with pharm companies who are working to bring drugs to human testing and FDA approval.
2. I've been all over the political spectrum. Right now, I fall under anarcho-disillusioned. I've been on staff for statewide political campaigns (executive staff as media director) for two statewide campaigns. One with Rs and one with Libertarians. I'm no longer a part of either party. I'm as non-partisan as you can find outside of a hermit. They all have problems.

When it comes to vaccines, my journalism training and experience kicks in. I go ask my wife.

And she asks the docs she knows and trusts.

And we talk to our family docs.

And we seek out opinions not from radio talk show hosts (although my wife is still firmly ensconced in some of those despite my best efforts to get her to stop listening so she can enjoy life....) but from docs who follow the science, not the political agenda.

And, yes, this has been politicized by all sides.

The question I ask anyone who says they don't want the covid vaccine: Why?
Before I can understand, I need to know what their reason is. If it's "I talked with my doc, and he/she says I'm too high risk to get it due to...." No further questions beyond: "Are you taking precautions to prevent infection until the rest of society around the world gets this nipped?"

If, however, I start hearing talk of privacy, shoddy science, rushed processes... there is room for discussion. For example,

I don't want it because the vaccine was rushed...

Well, yes and no. A shortcut was taken, by dual tracking stage 2 and stage 3 of the clinical trial process. Stage 2 is testing on animals (usually rats and other rodents...) This is the Warp Speed that VP Pence and his task force oversaw. The FDA here in the USA would normally require stage 2 (animals) to be finished and a review done before proceeding to stage 3 (double blind, placebo controlled, human testing). The FDA looked at prelim data from a few animal studies (believe it not, there are specialized lines of mice and rats that have to be bred to react to certain types of tests... one of the biggest delays was getting enough of the right genetic type of lab rat to test it on)...

Warp Speed ran those two stages in (mostly) tandem. IF the FDA (and they are sticklers for process) saw problems in the data coming out of the animal testing, they were more than ready to cut all approval for the stage 3 ongoing trials. But both stages progessed well. Some people got the vaccine, some didn't. Even the docs didn't know which patients got which.

The FDA saw enough data come through this winter that they halted the placebo side of the study and authorized telling the placebo patients to go get the real vaccine. Anyone who deals with the FDA in the pham sector knows how beyond "unusual", how rare, how unprecedented that move was. The science showed the MRNA vaccines WORKED. And worked well (until Delta showed up)

But MRNA is new tech?
Well... not really. MRNA was discovered in the 1960s. In the 1980s, research into using the tech in vaccines was beginning. That means we're looking at 30+ year old tech. Recent breakthroughs are what made it feasible for super cold storage and transport. The delivery mechanism is the newest tech, and even that was in process for decades.

I'm not comfortable...
I understand. It's a scary situation.
Were you in the military? Did you get those 17 shots on induction day? Feel like crap the next day but the drill sergeant made you hump a ruck and do pushups? We're in that same phase of the pandemic.

However, if you really don't want it, OK. Your employer may tell you that you have to. You're free to walk, of course. It's their company, and they have responsibilities to their clients and their employees.

Usually, though, you've got the option of getting tested weekly to prove you're in good health. And masking. It's an airborne virus, so making is how we reduce the potential innocullum that might be transmitted.

And remember, you too have a responsibility. It's a pesky notion that comes with freedom.

Back to that old adage: I have the right to swing my fists about as much as I want... but that right ends where your nose begins. It's my responsibility to make sure my swinging fist doesn't impact your nose when we're out in public.

That's why I mask up when I go into a store, or hospital, etc that has a policy for such. They're doing what they feel is best for their clients/patrons/employees. I have the responsibility to follow their rules when I'm in their facilities.

The same with the vaccine. I got my as soon as I was able. But, if you still have reservations, I only hope you'll remember your responsibility to those who are advised by their docs to avoid the vaccine for medical reasons. They are counting on other people to help them not walk into Covid's flailing fists.

Anyways, it's just a thought. Have a good evening.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Spent the day cleaning out the garage. Started at 9:30 and finished around 3:00 with several breaks. Tonight we are going to supper for son's 38th birthday. Tomorrow I'm meeting a family friend and moving a large roll top desk from Dad's to the friends son's house (about a 50 minute drive). Had a third contractor come in today and I think we'll be using him for the shower. He has done very good work for us in the past.

Paul- That's a shame.

Sherrel- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Christian-
That's a heck of a control panel. :D

I hope everyone has a good night.

The only good thing I can say about Covid is I got a lot of train stuff built that was on the back burner for a couple of years. Working split shifts and every other day at work gave me a lot of time (grain train for example) to build a lot of stuff.

Happy Birthday Sherrel.

And so now you see the dilemma many face. I mean, right here in this diner there are some compelling postings Pro and Con. Peacefully, thank you. As pointed out, the media reports are biased, politicians have their own agendas and playing to the economics of the situation. I not sure what the answer is, other than let your conscience be your guide. There are so many sources shouting at us, get the shot, don't get the jab, it really comes down to personal choice. I consulted with my doctor, after all I trust him with all my health issues and questions. He recommended I get the shot, and I did.

GARRY, CURT, TOM and a blanket for others!
Thanks for the B- Day wishes! I was talking to my BIL and he said to me that next year would be the BIG 80!
I told him that I was not looking forward to that one!
He said: "Yeah, pretty soon we will just be a photo on the wall and the little kids will look at the picture and say - --
Who is that old guy?"

COVID question: Is the booster just another vial of the same, or is it another brew?

TERRY - Seems to me that in this day and age that there IS NOT much privacy left?
There is already too much information already out there!

Happy Birthday Sherrel. Hope to still be posting with you when you reach MIL's age.
TERRY - Seems to me that in this day and age that there IS NOT much privacy left?
There is already too much information already out there!
Ain't that the truth. So much that I am not sure anyone has the time to zero in on any one individual person. I'm still mad at my kids for posting names and birth dates on MySpace back in the early 2000's.

Soooo, who do you believe about the vaccines? Some very upstanding sources are telling us the vaccines are a problem to some. Who those "some" are, nobody knows until they check in at the ER.
Guess what. All meds have side effects. Go get your heart pills, BP pills or acid reflux pills out. Read the product insert sheet. Or go to any number of Web based drug sites. They'll list common, uncommon, and rare side effects. The rare ones worry us. But they're the outliers.

When I moved back to Indiana, my new doc thought a different BP med would be a better fit for me. I read over the side effects, and said no. Not because of the rare ones, but because of the (common) dry cough it would give me. Right as the pandemic was moving across the US. Respiratory virus, and a medicinal induced dry cough. Not a good mix.

So we settled on a different med. He cautioned me to watch out for the rare side effects and call (or go to the ER) if any show up. None have. But, they're RARE. I had no idea if I'd be one of those who got them. But, my BP needs to be kept in check, so on a med I go.

You don't know, as you said, who the unlucky FEW are. But, in a medical crisis, where the only way through a pandemic is to get as many people as possible immunity of some form (past infection + booster, or double dose of an MRNA, or another vaccine/potential need for booster) we need the unimmune to become immune. That's how pandemics in the past have been stamped out.

Talk to YOUR doctor. Not the "upstanding" quack du jour some media pundit has trotted out. Not the Nigerian "Demon Sperm" doc selling her covid vitamins (she's real, and ummm... nuff said about her).

Talk your doc. You and they should be the ones to work together to decide what you do. Not the doc on TV with the media talking head trying to push an agenda one way or another.

Good evening gang!

Work has been real h-e-hockeysticks this week, Most nights I don't have the gumption or time to post, I can barely lurk some nights. Boss did promise me a "mental health day" when this is over.

Speaking of health. We all have our Covid shots. We are fully aware that it wont make us immune, or bullet proof, but that the vaccine can reduce the severity of an infection. We see the grandkids quite often and want to be around to help them grow and develop as well as protect them. We wont to get old watching them!

Speaking of old, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHERRIL!! Sorry for "yelling" but he is a little hard of hearing!

happy birthday balls.jpg

IBKen, If you are lurking, October is coming fast, are you ready for a "shakedown" cruise yet??

I'll catch up with the rest of you this weekend when the Alloy forms cars and trees next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back