Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
God evening. Going to make it quick. It didn't get as hot as predicted as the heavy smoke from the western fires cut down on the sunlight. Only got to 94 today, but it is expected to cool into the 80's for the rest of the week.

Terry - That diet doesn't sound good.

DakotaLove39 - One of the guys at the club had a Little Joe but wasn't impressed with it as the pilot trucks had a tendency to derail. With the space limitations at the club they had to sacrifice a wider radius. Looks sort of strange to me without any catenary. That's why I can't run my brass Z-5 Yellowstone. We do run Milwaukee Road equipment at the club also.

thumbnail_20190530_152643.jpg

Spent the afternoon at my friends house playing pool in the COOL basement after out Tuesday Lunch. Just got home to a couple of cranky weiner dogs because it is past their supper time. Here are a few archive photos.

20180211_132140.jpg

20180211_135743.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_143716.jpg

Gotta run

LATER

DakotaLove39 - One of the guys at the club had a Little Joe but wasn't impressed with it as the pilot trucks had a tendency to derail. With the space limitations at the club they had to sacrifice a wider radius. Looks sort of strange to me without any catenary. That's why I can't run my brass Z-5 Yellowstone. We do run Milwaukee Road equipment at the club also.

View attachment 130348

Spent the afternoon at my friends house playing pool in the COOL basement after out Tuesday Lunch. Just got home to a couple of cranky weiner dogs because it is past their supper time. Here are a few archive photos.

View attachment 130349

View attachment 130350

View attachment 130351

Gotta run

LATER

Oh man, I love all that orange and black.

Your fellow clubber, give him a ribbing from me for having both Panto's up. Only the leading pantograph in the direction of travel should be up, but I'm picky like that.

MTH HO Little Joes want to be loved, and want to know they are loved. He's gotta add weight to those floppy pilot trucks. Mine had the same issue, ESPECIALLY on Code 83 rail. Once I weighed my trucks down, the thing behaves better. I'd share a pic of the modification I did but I just discovered I left the thing behind at club like a goofus.
TungstenChips.jpg
I like using tungsten chips from an eBay seller called TXChemist. The weights are intended for pinewood derby cars, but these little square chips are awesome for my model railroad needs. I filled some dead space in Athearn RTR fuel tanks and got more tractive power out of my SD40-2's with these chips.
121527895_10223926837936653_5304187145650995832_n.jpg TungstenEnrichment3.jpg
Also here's a couple videos featuring my Joe prominently. Eventually I'm going to have to repaint it, Freight scheme like your buddy's is what I need.

Good Morning Everyone. Clear, dry, and 75°, high today only supposed to be 97°, after 99° yesterday. No heat advisory for today. Thought for a few minutes that we might get lucky with a pop-up thundershower yesterday; but it dissipated before it got here...heard lots of thunder though. Making it brief this morning because I have a 9:00 am doctor appointment 45 miles away. Just the regular quarterly "make his Mercedes payment" type visit. Today will be extended as it's physical time with the EKG once again. Wife has hers as well so we only have to make one trip. His office used to be a lot closer but he moved it south and I like the guy, so I haven't changed.

No breakfast today Flo, I am supposed to be fasting for the usual blood tests.

Thanks for all of those likes and comments yesterday regarding the layout tour; Chad, Guy, Christian, Steve J, Hughie, Karl, Garry, Patrick, Gary, Jaz, Sherrel.

Yesterday, out in the train shed, I managed to get some stuff done in the town of Graham that I have been working on. I added a hedgerow to either side of Woody's Country Mart.
IMG_7019.JPG

IMG_7020.JPG

On the other end, I looked at the remaining unballasted section of track between the passing siding switch and the roadway.
IMG_7009.JPG

I didn't do it before since I wanted to get that road in the foreground put in first, which I did about three weeks ago. So I did the ballasting and the ground cover from there all of the way over to the other fertilizer dealer.
IMG_7023.JPG

Here's the bicycle shop in place, sort of.
IMG_7024.JPG

It's not exactly in position because I didn't want to upset the still wet ground cover. Note the gaps in two places in the road. Either I didn't cut it exactly right or it shrunk after being installed. Nothing that a Sharpie can't fix. I have done nothing to the near side of the road because I haven't decided which structure I am going to put behind the ale house that's there. It's not in the current project scope as I am not inspired for that vacant lot yet. In the meantime, I will be going over the entire area and adding trees, signs, utility poles, and more vehicles and figures. I do need to complete the backdrop there as well, since I already have all of the materials ready and I haven't put up the paint yet.
No further progress on the layout structure cleaning on the upper level. I got off to a late start on that sector this quarter and I will not finish this month. No hurry though as the trains still run! Hmmmh! Maybe that's why it isn't finished yet! ;)

Chad -
Except back bacon is not real bacon!
Yeah, but it is still good. Not as good as the real thing, but still good.
Garry -
Perhaps you can ahem it "My Next Train Shed".
While I would love a train shed that large, upkeep might be an issue for me!
Terry -
My doctor told me I need to start on a fat-free, fiber-free, sugar-free, salt-free, flavor-free diet.
That's what I expect to hear today, just like the last few times.

Gotta go now and shower up before heading out. See y'all later. Everybody have a great day.

Morning All! We are starting the day at 67 F and watching for 91 later under partly cloudy.
FLO - Stack of pan-cakes this morning with plain maple slb another.urp, a handful of bacon, and a cup of coffee, please!

Hate to say it, but dogs, kids, and daughters are getting to me! My head is so stopped up this morning that mostly I am breathing thru my mouth. They won't leave the overhead fans and the A/C's alone. This place is like an icebox with a gale blowing!
Got the RV working all around yesterday - so -- I may just take off for parts unknown.

Willie - Good luck at the Dr's today!

Coffee cup is empty - better grab another?

Good morning. A thunder storm ran through the area around 2. I dint see the lightning show but Terry told me about it. I did hear however the 2.25” of rain we got starting at 3. This morning instead of the swim I moved 12 trees, small 4-8” newbies off the drive way. I will call the landscapers as the trees are still under guarantee. The wind was pretty strong as the rain was really belting our windows.
The SIL said he and his crew have checked the fence line and are repairing some damage. They will check the horse trails when the fences are fixed. I told him I will check the main trail between their house and ours.

Milwaukee Road, just a beautiful paint scheme and real lousy RR managers.

Sherrel, I feel your pain

Troy, have fun and you know the outcome is good for your side

Here is a real TV wasteland
80F4FDA8-BC1D-4EB2-9F3B-2F88E181AE40.jpeg

Terry has an appointment at her doctors office with a treadmill. No caffeine for her this morning and she is more cranky then normal. I have the grandson at noon for lunch and 1 for his hockey practice. The ice rink will feel great about then. Heading out to the trail.

enjoy your day
TomO

G'morning gang,

Thunder boomers as we type. Much needed rain falling somewhere, just not on my lot, but some are getting precious water. And all is not done yet.

Willie and all, thanks for the tips on the shiny wheels. Put my first coat of Vallejo rust on yesterday evening and will hit with a second coat this morning before I leave for the office. The wheels were so shiny and glossy and smooth, I hope the 2d coat covers better than the first. Couldn't see anyway to rough up the surface easily. Treads - - - I used a micro-brush dipped in alcohol to clean the treads and that worked well.

ANother evening in a row in which I will not get home before 9:00, so I'm in no great hurry to get to the church. Got some writing work I can do here - and there's that paint calling out to me, too!

ANybody else use Plumbers Putty? That stuff is so useful for modeling! Monday, I had to paint the 11 switch stands and targets for the ME turnouts. I may or may not use them, but wanted to paint them in case I do. Anyway, I put down a sheet of wax paper three nights ago for some CA work, and was still on the workbench. So I took a good pinch of plumbers putty, rolled into a string and then pinched off and balled a little bit for each stand. Plopped the stands onto the putty balls and painted away. Just enough lift to get the bases and they stayed put with no other restraint. Works nice. Plumbers putty stays pliable, in fact, the ball I used had been stuck to my peg board for weeks and weeks and still worked great.

Not much else accomplished as I had an evening meeting. Thursday looks hopeful for progress. Not much else going on - praying for rain, but I'm not hearing anything. <sigh> ------------Steve J

Good morning, Everybody !

Garry -
While I would love a train shed that large, upkeep might be an issue for me!

Willie ..... I can understand that. There is such a thing as the law of diminishing returns. even with model railroads. I see I had a typo which was "corrected" by auto-correct. I thought I typed "name", but the word I posted was "ahem". Technology drives me crazy ! .... You are doing good work with scenery, ballast, and ground cover. .. I hope your medical appointment goes well.

Steve Dakota Love ..... Thanks for sharing the MILW videos.

Chet ....Nice photo of the Little Joe at the club. I think more people would model electric locomotives if it wasn't for the need to put up catenary to look right. I enjoy seeing your archive photos, too. Thanks for continuing to post them.

Tom O ...... The weathering on CN 9468 is remarkable. It looks like an engine overdue for the paint shop.

Curt .... Thanks for taking time to check in. Still praying for you, your mother, and the rest of your family. .... Next time you talk with Phil, tell him we miss seeing hime here and wish him the best.

Everyone .... Have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back