Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

I need coffee...Thanks Flo!

Heat advisory for the next 72 Hours as we're expecting feels like temps to the 105°+ range for the next 5 days. Sunday should be cooler. Got a little rain last night. I had about 1/4" in my bucket, but 10 miles west had almost 4".

Looks like I'm going to the KC area on Friday anyway. My youngest sister needs some help in hooking up her washer and dryer after moving yesterday. The wife was supposed to be off, but is working and I still need to burn the day, so big brother to the rescue. I'll also have a time slot to have an outdoor visit with mom at the care home for a brief time. Youngest sister is divorced and her 3 boys are away at school already and not real handy. I always told her if she needed anything to let me know. The wife had to catch on faceplace that she was needing ideas on getting the stuff hooked up. The movers disconnect, but apparently don't reconnect. So the wife said to call her. At least she rents, so I don't have to help with construction...🤣

Hopefully a quiet day today, just hot.

Hello Flo ! I'm new here. Could you serve me a bottle of red Sancerre with one glass ? NO ? My bad. Just a cup of coffee please. Thanks.

One glass??!! Why that ain't right neighborly, pardnor. Flo, add a bottle of St. Emilion to that order and bring two of your best tulip glasses for me and my Tri-Coulour friend, here. Pay no attention to his accent, dear, he is French ... not funny.

Good Morning!
The 6:00am morning was quite lovely, when I went outside to photograph the devastation of last midnights horrific hail storm. I thought it was a tornado coming through; even the dog was terrified.
I think it looks worse than it is, but, the wife's garden took a beating. She's very sad, and I feel sorry for her. All that hard work she does to make it nice seems for naught. Personally, I would give up gardening and take up hunting where I could kill something when it hailed; seems more satisfying.
Here's a few early morning photos that I took; kinda tells the story:
Hail 1_07-27-2021.jpg

Hail 2_07-27-2021.jpg

Hail 3_07-27-2021.jpg

All of that was flowered up and lush when I was out there yesterday.
It was 54F this morning and I was comfortable in my pajama's when I took those photos. I suppose we will see if it all comes back.
Better take the wife out for shrimp today; her favorite. I need to try and happy her up because she's nasty when she's not happy.

Might bbl, but, if not, have a good one!

Good morning from the south deck in So. Central Wisconsin where it is 71f degrees heading to 96, cloud covered skies, the wind is blowing at a consistent 5mph and it feels COLD. Yeah crazy, I know but it has been so stifling hot this feels weird.

Sorry pressed post when I didn’t mean to.

guy, wow that is some weather. I thought at 1st it was that wintertime white stuff. Hail is nasty and is so destructive because of the speeds it hits at. If you guys are going out for shrimp, let me know and I will crash that dinner. I love shrimp. As for the garden, it will be amazing watching it come back to life.

Got my laps in the pool early this morning and my sister joined me. She lasted about 20 minutes and said you do this for an hour. Yep, but I am not very fast! She and Terry are out on the horses.

Flo, ask Mel if he’d make me a wheat battered pancake with cinnamon, apples, raisin and oatmeal. If he says yes, tell him to cook it 2 minutes longer then last time. If not, a waffle, bacon, 2 slices, chemical syrup and a mug of diet A&W root beer will do. TY.

Terry thinks dinner with around 20 others is here tonight. The daughter is not answering the phone so we are unsure. It’s a good bye thing for our niece as she is heading down to Austin to see her cousin, our son for 2 days and she has a interview there. She is crashing at his place. Then she heads home to LA.

Have a great day
TomO

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 77°, didn't cool off much last night. There's no wind right now either but it's a dry heat. The weatherman missed it again yesterday when it didn't reach triple digits, only making 98° here. I'm getting spoiled with the cooler summer this year. The next few days are supposed to be more cloudy than not so it won't get above 97°. The heat index will be above 105° without the wind. Guy would be melting in his lawn chair under these conditions. On the positive side, I haven't gotten to ride the mower in a few days and that's given me the opportunity to work down the pile of tree trimmings with the chipper/shredder.
The garden is still providing yellow squash and an occasional tomato for me but the major harvest period is over for now. The weather and grasshopper population will determine whether or not I plant a fall garden or not. Right now the grasshoppers are in their mating season and are not eating and they're dying on their own. They're doing it a bit early this year. I could run over the yard with the mower and chop many more up before they actually lay their eggs since their movement is much slower at this stage.

I'll take a pair of deluxe breakfast burritos today Flo. The works with sausage, egg, cheese beans and fried potatoes. And a jar full of spicy salsa. I have the bottle of Tums in my pocket!

Thanks for the likes on my solitary hummingbird picture yesterday, and other posts as well. No names today as I am late. I'll make up for it with layout shots today.

Just cleaned structures yesterday in the train shed, but also spent a lot of time running some trains. I just haven't been doing enough of that lately!.
Across the road from the fertilizer distributor is National Fuel Supply from Walther's. It's just half of the overall kit as I am using the other half (coal oriented) as a gravel dealer elsewhere.
IMG_6958.JPG

The site is not finished yet. The rail siding is on the other side of the peninsula from the fertilizer distributor.
Next to the beverage distributor in the main area of the industrial park is a very large distribution warehouse. I have not named it yet, or decided what it is for, but it receives goods in boxcars.
IMG_6956.JPG

IMG_6955.JPG
This structure is made from several Pikestuff modular wall kits.

Steve J - Those are Walther's or Athearn metal wheels on that Accurail boxcar. I clean them up with some alcohol to remove oils and then spray paint them with brown or rust paint. Then I wipe off the wheel treads immediately. If I don't get the paint off quickly enough I use a pink school eraser on them. No abrasives so no scratches for any future dirt to get into. When replacing wheels on Accurail cars of which I have many, I use pre-blackened Kadee or Intermountain wheels. There are others but those are the ones that my LHS carries along with the Walther's and Athearns. The ice bunker hatches might be tough, as Athearn was never generous enough to accidentally include extras in those kits. ALL of my stuff from that era is packed away in boxes right now.
Guy - Those are some excellent hummingbird pictures. Mine was by chance the other morning, when I just happened to have the camera in my pocket. They will feed at the feeder with me less than ten feet away; done it many times this year.
Add comment - Those flowers will come back really soon.

Everybody have a great day. Gotta go now and get the license plates for the car before months end.

Good Morning all! Some far off thunder. Cloudy with a slight breeze.
How about a few kolaches please.

I had ordered a whole house generator and it was due mid August, but they called yesterday and they are delivering today. I now have to put the shed together to house the generator.

On the railroad front, I ordered 3 more Bar Mills structures, Mooney"s Plumbing, Old Dominion and Jerry's Small Engine Repair. They are to be birthday gifts so I may need to wait till next month to open them. LOL

STAY SAFE

LATER

Good Morning All. Clear and 76°, with a heat index of 77°. And so it is supposed to begin today, after a high of just 92° yesterday, the NWS is predicting almost 100° today and triple digits or close to it for the next ten days at least. I know the weather patterns here and it will be that way until Labor Day most years. We've been lucky so far this summer as we have only needed to use one window AC at a time to maintain a comfortable climate. As well, the water temperature in the pool has not risen above 84° except for a couple of brief times in early June. No rain in sight, the closest on the radar is northern Wisconsin and maybe some in the mountains of Arizona.

Hello Flo. How about a Western Omelet with a double handful of bacon this morning. Apple juice if you will. Thanks.

Thanks for the many likes and comments regarding the updates on my progress posts; Christian, Patrick, Sherrel, Hughie, Karl, Garry, Guy, Tom O, Gary, Jaz, Ken.

I had a flurry of activities out in the train shed yesterday. I made some more trees, although not nearly enough, to add to the area in Graham that's undergoing landscaping right now. But I also ran some trains and cleaned and upgraded some additional structures on the upper level as I get into the industrial park between Vernon and Maulsville.
Next to the flour mill featured yesterday is a rail-served fertilizer distributor.View attachment 130199
View attachment 130200
View attachment 130196
View attachment 130197
This is a laser-cut wood structure from Blair Line known as Farmer's Fertilizer. Whoops! I never added a name.
View attachment 130198
Next to Delta Fertilizer are a couple of structures on an unfinished plywood plain. Here's the aisle side view.
View attachment 130201
And the front as viewed from across the peninsula.
View attachment 130202
Stan's Fabricating makes larger metal parts for industries.
View attachment 130204
I wish that I could remember who made this kit.
The unnamed structure besides it is a DPM kit that I don't know what to do with yet.

Tom -

Been through that a few times here. Only a couple of times were the incidents as bad as your pictures. The poorly maintained ditches alongside our rural country road contribute to the issue sometimes. If the road wasn't there it would all run off a lot quicker. House and train shed are both a lot higher than the surrounding ground so I've never been subjected to any high water damage, just a lot of slowly receding standing water.
Troy - Did they ever get the insulation blower to work?
Patrick - I've scalped a few spots in the yard with my 53" deck often enough that they aren't there any more! :cool:
Joe - That is really a "purty good looking" B&O #87 loco from yesterday.
Christian -

Right now it's a hybrid. There are two different levels that are intended to be connected at some time, but presently they are operated as two different layouts. The trackwork has connections already built in for connecting to a helix that hasn't been built. In truth, I may not ever get it built but it doesn't really matter. The only present drawback it that there isn't nearly enough staging on the upper level, just four tracks. There's plenty of action on each level though.

Tomorrow, I travel to Dallas to pick up the granddog for a three week staycation here while her family spends time at the in-laws beach house in Jersey. While there, we are going to have a very small family gathering at my cancer-stricken youngest brother's home to celebrate his 58th birthday, most likely his last one. He has not responded to eight weeks of radiation and chemo for his stage four esophageal cancer and the tumor is now restricting movement in his right arm by compressing the nerves. Fifteen of my family members (brothers, nieces, nephews and spouses) who all live within three blocks are rotating feeding duties through tubes four times a day, while my sister and her husband (further away) are taxiing him to doctors and therapy sessions. We are all praying that things will turn out differently, but everyone including him are ready to face the probable outcome. It will be an emotional day.

Today is National Amelia Earhart Day, a pioneer in her time. It's also National Tequila Day which will make anyone think that they are a pioneer. Enjoy if you indulge, I'll toast with a beer while my wife has a Margarita.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.
I love looking at your layout there is so much of interest and it gives me a great insight to the US, and lovely to see here while catching up with the coffee crowd.

I like Tacos, but they do not agree with me.

On an unrelated note where do you get detail kits for Stewart F3's need head light jewels.

Mike
Ifood balance is usually sweet/sour/salt and different people have alkaline or acid tendencies, and people make the mistake of thinking if they have too much acid in the stomach they should eat less acid when in fact you should eat more cid you stomach juice produce the opposite ie alkaline,
too much tomato - too much acid in the palette which causes ulcers in the mouth but is good for the stomach, this low salt idea has sone good points but people with low blood pressure are best not dropping salt and it helps balance acid which may be more important if you get ulcers, sweet need not be sugar avoid refined white sugar use unrefind sugar molasses etc especially for bbq sauce much healthier honey especially non Chinese honey has much Better impact on your stomach and teeth especially if pollen is in It.
Peope often can tweak their diet wthssmall adjustments for major improvements, even allowing for cost, baby steps rather than complete overhaul is much easier to accommodate and stick to. perhaps you have an allergy, you can either see a doctor or if too expensive try a week with no diary foods then a week without wheat items as they are often prime issues, diabetes as we get older another cliff to fall off, but treats can still easily be accommodated, just sone time with substitutes - the art is in making the substitutes tasty and inviting

Howdy .

WIllie ..... Reading your busy post, I saw your briother is suffering from cancer. Your description sounds very grim. Prayers for him and your family. .... I like the fertilizer building on your layout.

Tom in Wisconsin. ..... I like your photos.

Greg ..... Good to hear you are getting a Rapido SW1200.

Sherrel .... Frisco 66 appears to have had better days in its past.

Everybody ..... have a good night.
This will sound weird, but look up on google about stopping eating sugar, some people have gone in to full health just dropping sugar…..weird but it has a lot of support just not from those supermarkets and their ilk who sell sugar laden food, sugar is believe it or not a drug, white sugar particularly hits our body in a similar way,tell him to look at, consider trying it,because at least it is not sone weird option,although cutting out sugar can be hard, but apparently sugar feeds cancer, stopping eating sugar starved it.
plus think about it who usually gets cancer, older and often ovrweopkewho are say overweight from eating sugar laden food….by the weigh I am not saying diet! Just dropping sugar

Howdy ....

I have not named it yet, or decided what it is for, but it receives goods in boxcars.

Willie ...... Perhaps you can ahem it "My Next Train Shed".

Jaz ..... The doctors already have me avoiding salt. Not sure I could handle avoiding sugar too.

Greg .... I'm not familiar with that weathering site. However, you already are good at weathering your models.

Everybody ...... Have a good night.

Ifood balance is usually sweet/sour/salt and different people have alkaline or acid tendencies, and people make the mistake of thinking if they have too much acid in the stomach they should eat less acid when in fact you should eat more cid you stomach juice produce the opposite ie alkaline,
too much tomato - too much acid in the palette which causes ulcers in the mouth but is good for the stomach, this low salt idea has sone good points but people with low blood pressure are best not dropping salt and it helps balance acid which may be more important if you get ulcers, sweet need not be sugar avoid refined white sugar use unrefind sugar molasses etc especially for bbq sauce much healthier honey especially non Chinese honey has much Better impact on your stomach and teeth especially if pollen is in It.
Peope often can tweak their diet wthssmall adjustments for major improvements, even allowing for cost, baby steps rather than complete overhaul is much easier to accommodate and stick to. perhaps you have an allergy, you can either see a doctor or if too expensive try a week with no diary foods then a week without wheat items as they are often prime issues, diabetes as we get older another cliff to fall off, but treats can still easily be accommodated, just sone time with substitutes - the art is in making the substitutes tasty and inviting
They burn when I poop them out.
Acid is not the problem. I could tell u more but it is not worth it.

Hey....in one of the recent posts, someone mementioned about having a fellow doing weathering at a weathering site. I can't locate the post or the weathering guy's a name for that matter. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Greg

greg,

I have used

weathermytrains.com

I truly believe Rob is the best of the weathering artists that will do custom work. My 4 from him.

TomO
1B2A9B5D-0B88-473F-BD78-8B15BC11A659.jpeg

DFC5707C-4A5A-4FFF-84D0-F6E1FA8EE3E4.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back