Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greeting from the land of fruits and nuts!
FLO - No Sunday off for you I see? (Must remember to leave her a good tip today) I'd like a chicken fried steak with eggs up, home fries, sourdough toast, and a coke to drink. Please .. lots of gravy on the steak?

I managed to survive the first 24 hours with the kids running amock! Actually, they spent the better part of the day at the MI:'s house enjoying the pool out there. The Spousal Unit cooked up a delicious meatloaf with a couple of veggies and baked potato and,
BIL John joined us for an early dinner as his spouse was out of town visiting friends, John lives in a constant nightmare of extreme pain most of the time. He had prostate cancer and was treated with radiation which someone screwed up and the burn will not heal. It's been going on for over two years and he has been everywhere but to no avail. He lives on pain meds daily and says with constant pain - sometimes worse than others. I do not think I could live with what I have seen him endure.

The remainder of the clan was up on the mountain at Big Bear where Irene's friend, Paul, has a cabin. They had a big golf day planned and a nice day to go with it. The TEMP reached 91F yesterday and 92F is expected today! Don't worry - It is expected to continue to climb higher over the next several days. OH, the SIL with the two pups made it as far as Tuscaloosa, AL, last night; he was saying a two-day drive - ha, don't think he realizes that it can take two days just to get across Texas. HA!

Well, that all I got this morning. I have a vacuum cleaner that needs a new belt and a toilet flapper to replace this morning and our walkway to the front door is down to about two feet - guess I will see if I can trim back the jungle
The daughter bought a Peloton Bike yesterday off of 'Marketplace' - so she will be trying that out this morning. She hopes to be able to ship it to Japan with them - we will see. Damn thing weighs a ton!
Busy, Busy!

Good morning all,

Nailed the plumbing! That felt good. The only leak was with the sink filled with about 8 inches of water. Very slight welling up around one of the joints. Easy fix by tightening down. Now no leaks. I needed to conquer something!

Then it was completing various detail tasks while missus went over to our daughter's to do packing and organizing. We decided to hire the Two Men and A Truck outfit to do the heavy lifting next weekend. With no one to help and the heat continuing - - - - - well, I just ain't that young anymore. Besides, sending the super-organizer over yesterday helped to make sure that the move would go well. That woman is amazing and why she decided to hitch her cart to this horse is still beyond me. Last night we went to the VFW State Convention banquet and she looked great. We were laughing all night because during the social time, some random woman was talking with her and complimented her on her 'boobs.' Not sure how to take that! Now, granted, missus was looking great and 'the girls' were nicely displayed, but still ... ... ... really? Having met for only a few minutes and that's where your conversation goes? The dinner was not great, but the occasion was nice. But I was up too late. Slow start to the morning.

I actually took ten minutes Friday and ran a train around my temp oval. No modeling, no switching, just watched it go slowly about for a few minutes. Therapeutic.

More cleaning and putting things back to normal today. Will reset the stove and refrigerator on Tuesday, and then will be 100%. The new counters and floors do look nice, however

20210611_150631.jpg

Chhers and God's blessings to all - - - have to figure out a sermon really quick. -----Steve

Nailed the plumbing! That felt good. The only leak was with the sink filled with about 8 inches of water. Very slight welling up around one of the joints. Easy fix by tightening down. Now no leaks. I needed to conquer something!

Chhers and God's blessings to all - - - have to figure out a sermon really quick. -----Steve

That's a great feeling and accomplishment - I share your conquering!

Watched most of - I believe it was Dr. Charles Stanley this morning - he had a great sermon.
It was about the truth of the Bible, and how it has endured!
Blessings to you, and your family, Steve.

Good morning from the south deck in So. Central Wisconsin. 70f degrees now heading towards 88 which most likely means 90+. Humidity at 58 and a nice little breeze is flowing.

cgw121, I suppose being at the hospital during Covid was nerve ranking for the wife and you? I hope not but based on how this country treats its history I can see people down the road calling Covid just a blip

Tom, boy you get some pretty sunsets. Big yard and the grass looks great.

Patrick, I strongly suggest you take a day for yourself. Boy they have you hopping between the kids homes and work. I hope they appreciate what you are doing. But…it also sounds like you really enjoy it

GeeTee, evictions are nasty processes and vary state to state and even within the different counties of a state. I understood many of the reasons we received and have yet to HAVE to evict. As to savings and stimulus, 100% agree with your reply to mikeinhubcity
The son’s friends who went home to mom and dad, and I have no real issue with that, are called giga workers. Independent contract workers or free lancers in my days

MikeinHubCity, having worked in the bad debt collect business the biggest problem with folks and their money is, they don’t know how to handle it. No one taught them, they might have had parents who had money issues, in my experience it is the rare person who doesn’t want to pay their bills. I have given more then a few talks to educators, PTA’s and a couple state senators about having mandatory financial learning type classes in Wisconsin. The answer I got is that’s a personal family thing…

Willie, I hesitated yesterday before posting that 50’ troll. The picture of you in the garden protecting or surveying the crops just hit me. I really hope you aren’t offended. The 7 were commissioned for $100,000 or so to a European artist and basically are thousands of cedar shakes he assembled. They were to be exhibited for 1 season and I understand they lasted 3.

My son texted his new washing machine was installed yesterday. 21 days after it was ordered. He said he just made it clothes wise. We were there when it took the walk across his house the 2nd time, he got 9 years out of a new machine from HD that was under 400 back then. The guy who installed the new one said expect maybe 5 good no issue years and then start saving for a new one. This is a LG nothing fancy for 800 on sale delivered, installed and pick up the old.

The daughter texted from security at the airport in Milwaukee. They spend the night at the SIL’s dad’s place. They are flying today to Florida and our 9 year granddaughter has Down Syndrome and has never flown commercial and does not like to be touched. She got through security this morning very well and they even wanded her brother to show her it doesn’t hurt. Wearing the mask all flight should not be an issue.

I had train plans for today but we are heading to lunch in Spring Green about 50 miles north and west of home. She who must be obeyed says it’s time for a real drive inn I so off to Rumbleseats we will go. Fantastic hamburgers but the best malted in Wisconsin IMHO. She is driving which means a normally 1 hour drive will take maybe 45 minutes.

Trains later which means I probably just sit at the bench and turn and gaze at what have become a big diorama.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Good morning. It's cloudy and 70.
I've been having some issues with Fleabay lately. When I pull up an item on my phone or tablet, there are different terms and conditions stated than there are if I pull up the exact same item on a computer. I've been in contact with Fleabay, and they say it must be something the device manufacturer is doing, and the device manufacturer says it isn't them, it must be a permissions issue with Fleabay.

On an unrelated note:
Some of you, and you know who you are, are treading dangerously close to the "no politics/no religion" rule. Some are in reality on the wrong side of the line...

Good Morning!

She's gonna be a scorcher today! Supposed to hit 75°F in the searing sun, and be even warmer tomorrow. It never seems to be just nice for very long here. A person is either freezing or being cooked here in the north, and to get it to stay 60° with a bit of haze for any length of time seems to be a wish. The earth is not in the perfect spot in the solar system.

Willie has been posting some really good photos of his wonderful, lush garden. - I'm not sure if these photos of my Canadian patch of dirt will make him laugh or cry. We have a limited time to grow anything around here, and I'm thinking it had better get with it if it wants to survive.
In defense of my environment, though, this will grow very quickly over the next few months, and be lush and green come August. Here's the photo:
Garden_06-12-2021.jpg

We have lots of butterflies, like this Swallowtail I took a photo of yesterday:
Butterfly_06-12-2021.jpg

There was also an American Goldfinch in full breeding plumage snooping around the garden yesterday. Just couldn't get him to sit down long enough to get a photo. Darn modern electronic cameras arn't fast enough.

Tom - Nice sunset photo! - It's too warm for a fire. Fires are relaxing to sit beside, though. I find fires very friendly if one is careful with them.

Tom in Wis. - I see you have the same dilemma that I have when you take a great shot of a rail-bridge; no train! That's a very good photo of the bridge, none-the-less.

Jaz avalley - Thank you for all the modelling photos. Wonderful work done there, and photos add huge interest to posts.

Train photos! I'm going to make today the blurry train photo day!
I was driving when I saw a train crossing the road and heading to the staging yard.
CN 8958 CN 2604_06-10-2021 (2).jpg

The truck was turned around, and I tried to beat the train to the yard. Not much luck with that; the train was moving too fast.
I did manage to get a couple of shots of the lead engine and the 2nd as it was moving through the yard, but, those photos were taken through the only available hole in the tree-line. The train was moving fairly quick through the yard, as well, which caused the blur.
CN 2604_C44-9W_06-10-2021 (2).jpg

Suppose that's all the discussion I can add today. - I need to get outside a turn off the lawn sprinkler before it gets too hot.
Thanks for all the likes on my simple posts; and thanks for posting everyone!; especially the ones who take the time to post photos!

Have a good one!

Attachments

• CN 8958_SD70M-2_06-10-2021 (2).jpg
    CN 8958_SD70M-2_06-10-2021 (2).jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 74
Well, howdy there internet MRR people.
It's Troy again.

Good to see everyone surviving the summer. Wife is heading out to see her mom, and taking the only car we have, so the fuzzy buddy and I are out on the condo's patio, enjoying the still cool air. 80° at the moment, but it will go up another 5 or 6 degree. We're losing some humidity, but not enough to make activity outside comfortable.

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 10.44.05 AM.png

Yesterday was the hot muggies in NE Indiana, so I headed to the gaming store. Had our first Face To Face WWII game day. Lightly attended, but a good time. I'm hoping to start up a weekly game night at the store for whatever other models we want to push around. Right now interest seems to be in WWII Naval battles.

My narrator got Book #3 in the series back to me. So I've got another 3 hours of audio files to listen to and check against the main text. Unfortunately, narrator forgot that I do a clean up pass through the text (one last time) before I send it to her. She had an older version on her tablet and didn't update to the PDF I sent her. So, I'm finding quite a few things in each chapter she'll have to clean up. She's aware of the issue with the versions, so no worries. The main issue is dropping dialog tags like I said, he said, she said. When she's in voice for a character, and drops out into narrator voice, for a he said, then back into character voice, it gets jarring to listen to. So I try to convert many of those tags into action in the final go through.

What she gave me was the next to last version. So, I'm able to hear my writing style before I do that final conversion.

Well, about time to refill the iced-tea sipping vessel, put the big can earmuffs on and read-along with the narrator.

Well, howdy there internet MRR people.
It's Troy again.

Good to see everyone surviving the summer. Wife is heading out to see her mom, and taking the only car we have, so the fuzzy buddy and I are out on the condo's patio, enjoying the still cool air. 80° at the moment, but it will go up another 5 or 6 degree. We're losing some humidity, but not enough to make activity outside comfortable.

View attachment 129009

Yesterday was the hot muggies in NE Indiana, so I headed to the gaming store. Had our first Face To Face WWII game day. Lightly attended, but a good time. I'm hoping to start up a weekly game night at the store for whatever other models we want to push around. Right now interest seems to be in WWII Naval battles.

My narrator got Book #3 in the series back to me. So I've got another 3 hours of audio files to listen to and check against the main text. Unfortunately, narrator forgot that I do a clean up pass through the text (one last time) before I send it to her. She had an older version on her tablet and didn't update to the PDF I sent her. So, I'm finding quite a few things in each chapter she'll have to clean up. She's aware of the issue with the versions, so no worries. The main issue is dropping dialog tags like I said, he said, she said. When she's in voice for a character, and drops out into narrator voice, for a he said, then back into character voice, it gets jarring to listen to. So I try to convert many of those tags into action in the final go through.

What she gave me was the next to last version. So, I'm able to hear my writing style before I do that final conversion.

Well, about time to refill the iced-tea sipping vessel, put the big can earmuffs on and read-along with the narrator.
How far are you from New Buffalo Michigan?

Good afternoon. Finally made it back home with the new addition, Olivia. She is a very sweet little girl and even at the age of one, she still has a lot of puppy in her.

thumbnail_20210611_193502.jpg

The trip was interesting. Everything went well until we passed Cheyenne, WY into Colorado. Nothing but construction and traffic southbound and the northbound side was worse with an 8 mile backup with traffic at a standstill with 4 lanes going into 2. This continued almost to Colorado Springs.
Willie was correct when he mentioned the speeds that Texans drive. I assume that the speed limit is more of a suggestion. Running at 85 mph and having the headlights sucked out of the front of the car. Also noticed a real shortage of rest areas. We did try to stop on a fairly regular basis so Molly could get out, go potty and get a drink.

The people running the place we picked up Olivia were outstanding. They do rescues, breeding, boarding, Grooming and doggie day care. We had all sorts of paperwork as to her health with the vet records, and a supply of food, a collar and leash for the trip home and some wonderful advice.

With Colorado being such a cluster f--k and and that we would be going through on a Friday evening, we chose to take a bit of a detour. Being that we are both retired now, why not. Went I-35 north and worked our way over to I-29 to Sioux Falls, SD, where we finally turned west towards home. Got into town just before noon today.

The little one rode quite well. The dogs were alternating between the front and back seat. Olivia got to nap a lot of the time.

thumbnail_20210612_091024.jpg Going to cut it short today, have a beer (or 2, or more) and relax.

Later

Went for train ride yesterday. I attended the ASL.....Adirondack Live Steamers.....took some family members with me as they have kids. So it was a great time. Well over 100 different locomotives were there. This was a 5 day affair. People came from all over the world literally to participate here. One guy was from Australia and there were 3 couples from UK. A bunch of course from all over the US and Canada. Had diesels old & modern power. Trolleys and electric center cabs. All powered by various power..... battery, gasoline, oil, propane and then the steamers as well oil, propane, coal but no wood burners that I saw. May have had some in the sheds as this place is massive. People that come with their trains camp out in their RVs, tents campers whatever and stay for days. It's an event that happens 4 to 5 times a year. Open year round. It was a great spectacle to see! Here are some pics. I will leave a link to at the bottom that explains the place in detail. It is 35 acres and something like 2.5 miles of main line now as they have been adding track feverishly as of late. Switch yards galore. I don't know why they have not updated their web page but it doesn't do it justice. The map/plan was last updated in 2013. So cool to have this so close by me as it is only 5 miles a way.

20210612_160608.jpg
20210612_160618.jpg
20210612_162156.jpg
20210612_162205.jpg
20210612_162953.jpg
20210612_163028.jpg
20210612_163146.jpg
20210612_164705.jpg
20210612_164744.jpg
20210612_165636.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.