Running Bear’s May 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Crew. Wisconsin in my area is bright and sunny. Terry arrived home yesterday evening. Today we drive east to have lunch and a get together with her sister and 3 brothers in Racine which is on Lake Michigan. Afterwards we will go to her best friends house and most likely ordering dinner in.

Sadly no time to stop at my second best hobby shop, Hiawatha Hobbies outside of Milwaukee. I didn’t check to see if the shop at Walthers has re-opened yet as we won’t have time to stop there either. I will wave to Greg as we drive by his exits on I94. We drive back on Wisconsin Hwy. 20. I know a couple guys who post are also in the area, so I will wave as we drive through Waterford and East Troy.

I didn‘t mean to drag out the Kennedy memories yesterday. I was in 6th grade on the day and definitely remember all of it. Dallas is a nice city, but as I wrote there is no need to visit the plaza and definitely not the book depository.

No trains today and more research then actual modeling yesterday. The 1st tower is too thick looking even though the brass parts are to scale of the drawing dimensions AGCO makers of the GSI grain bins and equipment emailed me. Have a great day.

The pictures are of the storage racks for the EOT devices.

TomO
776C4F65-B969-46B4-940A-16087D93DC43.jpeg

50F3EB3E-1782-433C-A503-FBF402510DDE.jpeg

Last edited:
Good Morning to All. Clear and 58° in this part of the world. Looking for a high of 82° again today. The warm and lengthening days have wiped out the older lettuce plants in the garden. I normally just pick off however many leaves that I need at a time and leave the rest. The younger plants (successive planting) are still flourishing, but not for much longer. Time to devote attention to tomato, squash, bean and pepper plants. Onions are still going strong and that harvest is generally in late May. I cut up and froze three more heads of broccoli yesterday, still a few more growing. Meanwhile there are numerous smaller side shoots adding to the harvest.

Sausage, egg & cheese biscuits for me this morning Francine. So Flo is taking a day off today?

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the hardware & feed store pictures yesterday; Rick, Guy, Garry, Tom O, Chad, Patrick, Karl, Hughie, Gary, Phil, James. Jaz, Chet, Tom, Ken.

Well out in the train shed yesterday, I took a page from Ken's notebook and attempted to de-clutter the place a bit. Moved some stuff around that I won't be able to find the next time that I need it. No hidden treasures yet either, unless one calls a box of 3'-5' pieces of small gauge wire a treasure! I also mounted a 2' florescent fixture under the upper level to provide more light underneath. It was the fixture that I replaced over the workbench a couple of months ago. I'm still contemplating what project I might do next. Today I will read June's edition of MRR that came earlier this week...I don't know when because I don't travel down the road to check the mail every day!
Since I know that some liked them, here are a few more animal in the zoo pictures for your enjoyment.
IMG_6211.JPG
IMG_6230.JPG
IMG_6234.JPG
IMG_6235.JPG
IMG_6218.JPG

Tom - Yes, the price of lumber is outrageous right now. I know that "government experts" are claiming that there is no inflation right now, but I guess that they don't buy gasoline, lumber, food or chlorine for their pools!
Sherrel - Those "tall" mattresses are really nice once you get used to them. Getting up is so much easier.
Garry - I saw the coal train over in the other thread, nice concept following the train.
I suggest you do not run that EMD SD45 past a hot box detector
Like it!

This Bill & Melinda Gates story really is much ado about nothing. I just really don't give a damn.
A beautiful day in store for us here today. I hope that everyone has a good day as well. Stay Safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning All: Currently 56 and looking for 76 later on with variable cloudy and breezy!
FRANCINE - Just a BLT this morning with a Dr Pepper - all to go, please. Have to head out for the closest medical facility and get a blood test done for the vascular Dr in downtown L.A. with a follow up sonogram next Tuesday. I presume that he wants to see that his re-plumb work is still holding together in my heart area. I will not have to go all the way to the Beverly Hills area for the test - although I generally miss riding the train from near here all the way to Union Station and back - mostly an all day trip, but saves 4 hours of driving!
Then I have to shuffle the RV back home - it was finished up yesterday. A promised photo of the work area is shown below; it is hard to determine, but the area is about directly underneath the drivers seat along the frame. Damn rats, mice, or ground squirrels chewed completely thru that cable of wiring!

I am not sure what I can do to keep it from happening again, but attempts will be made ... for sure.
RV Wire Replacement.jpg

Good Morning to All. Clear and 58° in this part of the world. Looking for a high of 82° again today. The warm and lengthening days have wiped out the older lettuce plants in the garden. I normally just pick off however many leaves that I need at a time and leave the rest. The younger plants (successive planting) are still flourishing, but not for much longer. Time to devote attention to tomato, squash, bean and pepper plants. Onions are still going strong and that harvest is generally in late May. I cut up and froze three more heads of broccoli yesterday, still a few more growing. Meanwhile there are numerous smaller side shoots adding to the harvest.

Sausage, egg & cheese biscuits for me this morning Francine. So Flo is taking a day off today?

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the hardware & feed store pictures yesterday; Rick, Guy, Garry, Tom O, Chad, Patrick, Karl, Hughie, Gary, Phil, James. Jaz, Chet, Tom, Ken.

Well out in the train shed yesterday, I took a page from Ken's notebook and attempted to de-clutter the place a bit. Moved some stuff around that I won't be able to find the next time that I need it. No hidden treasures yet either, unless one calls a box of 3'-5' pieces of small gauge wire a treasure! I also mounted a 2' florescent fixture under the upper level to provide more light underneath. It was the fixture that I replaced over the workbench a couple of months ago. I'm still contemplating what project I might do next. Today I will read June's edition of MRR that came earlier this week...I don't know when because I don't travel down the road to check the mail every day!
Since I know that some liked them, here are a few more animal in the zoo pictures for your enjoyment.
View attachment 127877View attachment 127878View attachment 127880View attachment 127882View attachment 127879
Tom - Yes, the price of lumber is outrageous right now. I know that "government experts" are claiming that there is no inflation right now, but I guess that they don't buy gasoline, lumber, food or chlorine for their pools!
Sherrel - Those "tall" mattresses are really nice once you get used to them. Getting up is so much easier.
Garry - I saw the coal train over in the other thread, nice concept following the train.

Like it!

This Bill & Melinda Gates story really is much ado about nothing. I just really don't give a damn.
A beautiful day in store for us here today. I hope that everyone has a good day as well. Stay Safe.
Willie,
Sherril
gets stuck on bold, you get stuck on strikethrough???? Get it together, you're starting to give us old guys a bad name!!

Good Morning!

The wind is fairly brisk outside; a storm is blowing in. Still fairly warm, though, with the thermometer reading 44°F. Hopefully, we get a good soaking with a couple of days worth of rain.

I have far and away too much to do to spend much time in the shop. That backdoor I installed needs some tweaking and I need to get the garden in.
So, I'm just going to have a coffee and get on with it.

A little bit of frustration this fine morning. I was trying to take a progress photo of the little boat. My big clumsy fingers caught the mast sticking out front, and broke it off. That happened right after I took a couple of photos. - The whale poker is broken off now.
Here is the pre-broken photo:
Boat_05-07-2021 (2).jpg

My plan was to paint the roof of the cabin white today. I'll probably do that, and then allow the oil to cure for a couple of more days before I repair the mast part.
I break something every time I try to model. It's just a part of who I am, and I have to accept it for what it is.

Willie - It dosen't look like you are having fun as a giraffe; you didn't smile for the photo.

Well, I can't dilly-dally here. To much to do.
Thanks for the likes on past posting.
Have a good one!

Good Morning all! A sunny day but the humidity is returning.
Flo, maybe some biscuits and gravy with coffee.
Some really great photos coming from you guys.
I did let my FEF-3 pull the track cleaning car around yesterday while I did Windows 10 updates on 3 computers.
I also got started on a new Bar Mills building. Shaw Ridge Tractor Supply. While Shaw Ridge was on my wish list, I really wanted Majestic Feed. It seems like Bar Mills in N Scale are either rare or sell out quick. I did note a price increase. Model Train Stuff.com still beats Amazon by $20 plus dollars on most of the Bar Mills stuff.

Shaw Ridge - 1.jpg

STAY SAFE

LATER

Willie,
Sherril
gets stuck on bold, you get stuck on strikethrough???? Get it together, you're starting to give us old guys a bad name!!
WILLIE - Your "Strikeout" button was alive and well this morning - about 1/2 of all your message.
I think I got rid of it?
It must be the ghosts in this forum. I didn't even use strike-through today!

Checking in quickly. Cooler today being in the 60's and the radar shows showers moving in. Up early. The two little angels thought it would be fun to play on the bed at 0245.

thumbnail_20210131_170800.jpg

Troy - The prices for lumber products are way out of hand. Whiskey is cheaper.

Willie
- Good photos.

Sherrel
- What a birds nest you have there.

Have the roll offs for league championship tonight. Think I'll take a nap.

Later

Tom O- with regards to your comment about weather forecast vs actual weather..... People like to complain about wx personalities only being right half the time “If I was wrong on my job 50% of the time, I’d lose my job”. My response to that is “Baseball players can fail 70%(or more) of the time & still make it to Cooperstown”. Even with all of the technology at their disposal, they’re only making guesses, mostly relying on various computer models. Yes, they’re making educated guesses, but they’re still guessing.
I totally agree, I would hate to be a doctor,you are expected to always get it right and lie through your teeth when you make a mistake especially if it kills,but doctors cannot make 100 percent accurate calls,I double check all they say and ask questions it puts them on their mettle and I believe gets me better care,although a kick me sticky is likely metamorphically sat on my back, because I will go toe to toe in hospitals

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/col...tal-x100-presidential-blue-metallic-87lc61001

currently sold out.

I don't particularly want to go either , I just find it interesting that so many people want too ( I was shocked when they opened it but...) and its not like they want to be at the spot where he was shot. They want to see where Lee Harvey Oswald did the deed ...they want to see what the assassin saw .

Personally I've never found a good reason to go to Dallas , other than a football game or Love Field.

The northern part of the state isn't that touristy.Most of the battlegrounds/monuments/missions are in southern part of the state.

On a more positive note ....Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas....
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/05/constitutional-carry-guns-texas-legislature/
This would not occur to me, but I. Can see how you would have issues,I for instance would never buy anything mocking our Queen,so I can see your point of view.Respect is so lacking nowadays.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! It's 48*F under cloudy skies with a 5mph NW wind at my central MD property. Had the trainroom heat pump running in AC mode a few days ago; last night I had to switch it back to "heat."

Thanks everybody for the "likes" on my Thursday post, and on my other "return-to-the-hobby" short story thread! No time for me to name names, but y'all know who you are.

I had to use 2 hours of vacation time from work this morning so I could get my lawn mowed before the afternoon rain showers blew in. It's supposed to be raining off-and-on again tomorrow until ~3pm, so this was my last chance to get this chore out of the way.

I had a really productive afternoon in the trainroom. As I was rearranging stuff around the "control" area where all my DCC infrastructure, dedicated laptop and programming track are located, I had a "lightbulb" moment. Up until today, I've always had to to a rolling cart out from under the layout so I could open the laptop and use it. I got to thinking how much easier it would be if I could set the laptop on the center shelf and open it up there, and be able to sit down while using DecoderPro and other JMRI tools. That wasn't possible, because there was only 10" of vertical clearance there - not enough to fully open the laptop. But when I saw there were only four wood screws holding the shelf on, I realized that lowering it would just be a matter of removing the screws, drilling a few new holes, and reattaching it 2" lower - giving me the clearance the laptop would need. Here's a "before" photo on the left and an "after" image on the right:

LaptopCabinetBeforeMods.jpg
LaptopCabinetAfterMods.jpg

Notice in the "after" shot how the rolling bench is completely under the benchwork and not wasting aisle space. This will enable me to use this thing unobtrusively during op sessions. 👍 I still have plenty of room to place locos on the programming track directly above it.

As far as JFK goes, Its inescapable ,

Hollywood has made movies and television episodes about it . About every 2- 5 years they come out with a new one..AND.the news media drags out the Zapruder film every other anniversary just to make sure you remember.

And if that's not enough ...PBS will bisect ,trisect , and dissect it for you complete with diagrams ,frame by frame analysis , firing ranges , and exploding gellitan heads .

I bet I 've seen Kennedy get shot at least a 100 times over the last 50 years.

Good morning. Last night we managed to take the league championship by 5 pins. Good for $400.

Woke up this morning to a couple of inches of snow but the temp was 35 and with as warm as it has been, the roads re just wet. Got some major rain yesterday afternoon and evening.

Taking off in a few minutes for Billings. Another mixed tournament. Will have to stay over night. My son and his wife just arrived to house/dog sit while we're gone. Should be back tomorrow afternoon after a set of 3 games at 0900.

Gotta run. The wife is finally ready to go.

Later

Good Morning All. Clear and 62° out there right now. We're under a high wind advisory today, with south winds in excess of 25 mph, gusts up to 40 mph. I've already been out on the road this morning, getting gas for the tractor/mower. Ran out while mowing the foot tall stuff back in the "back 40" on the west side next to my hay field. I need to complete that as the NWS is predicting rain from Monday through Wednesday. I also spent about 45 minutes with the weedeater yesterday. Once I get the west side finished today, I'm good for another week.
I received a jury notice yesterday for May 17, the first one in over 15 years. Probably the last one, as any one over 70 can get an automatic exemption if requested. I'm just not quite there yet! It's OK though, I believe in doing my civic duty.

Make it just a bacon and cheese sandwich for me this morning Flo. Double OJ to go with it.

Thanks as always for the likes and comments regarding the additional zoo pictures; Karl, Sherrel, Guy, Chad, Garry, Hughie, Rick, Chet, Phil, Patrick, Ken, Tom O.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued to straighten things up under the benchwork. Haven't come across any forgotten hidden treasures yet, but I was able to consolidate some stuff and mark the box well. Then I ran a few switching runs to keep my engineers (and me) in form .
Since I'm not doing any projects right now, I will post some pictures from the archives today.
Back in 2018, I made what I called downtown Maultown, a medium sized city. In it I made a small park, which is visible if you look for it, nestled among buildings in town.
07-19-18 009.JPG

Bordering on one side is the Sidetrack Tap Tavern.
07-17-18 017.JPG
07-17-18 023.JPG

Quite the hangout.

Steve - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. Nice to see a new face join us regulars (they're nice too).
"I'll take 20 below over 110 any day!"
That sums up the difference between North Central Texas and Minnesota. A few other forum members are from Minnesota as well.
Tom O - As a side note, the Texas School Book Depository was actually slated for demolition in the early 70's when then Dallas mayor Wes Wise, intervened and I think that the city bought it.
The EOT rack looks very good.
Karl -
you're starting to give us old guys a bad name!!
OLD GUYS! Speak for yourself.
Guy - Boat looks really good. Good luck with the repair, I know how you feel.
The real giraffes weren't smiling either!
IMG_6220.JPG

Hughie - That looks like another interesting Bar Mills kit. Funny that you posted it, but I also don't find Amazon prices to be too competitive.
Chet - Congratulations on the bowling victory. Good luck today.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend. Stay Safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back