Greetings from Minnesota!

MilwRoader_Steve

Greetings all!

I'm Steve and new to the hobby. Dabbled a little back in the 90s as my Father-in-law was building a large HO layout (which he never finished, but how many do?!), but consider my self the newest of newbies. Still learning and I am ***hoping*** this is a good teaching/asking stupid questions/patient with the new guys place. I've been active in another forum, but looking to branch out.

My interest is HO and I have built the benchwork and am getting ready to start track laying. As such, I have lots of questions. Further interest is continuous loop ops, with some interesting switching.

I have been actively reading and studying since December; in particular John Armstrong's Ops book, and a few Kalmbach books: Wiring, DCC, laying track.

I already have a DCC Zephyr system, a BLI steamer with sound (don't think I like sound) a couple of switchers including a Porter 0-6-0T from Bachmann. COllection is up to about 10 freight cars, and I hope to concentrate on the era of the 30s-40s. I have a roundhouse built and a Walthers 90 foot TT in hand. I think that is where I ought to start? And then build the yard system from the anchor of the TT/RH? I do have ANyrail and have designed up a yard using the ME C70 ladder system.

I am not retired and teach part-time at a university along with my full job, so time is tight. I hope to get a lot done this summer. Married, kids all out of the house, no grandkids. Layout is in our finished basement and is built up to the max negotiation demarcation lines. If you know what I mean. But that gives me an expanded 4x8 with one long reach. Yep, that's right, you said it: "uh-oh!"

I look forward to getting to know you all and hope to be a positive contributor. Please reserve your comments on the layout until I post in the correct forum. This shot just to give anyone interested an idea of my basic space.

Steve

Attachments

• 210426_2.jpg
    210426_2.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 120
Welcome aboard Steve. You're right, "uh-oh!". I am assuming that this is nestled in a corner on the left and top. If that red area is also a wall, you have two reach problems, the one on the upper left is an impossible reach and the one on the upper right is quite tough. But we can discuss them when you re-post in a different thread as you requested. I look forward to that as I see other things that as a newbie you might not be aware of. The plan itself looks good.

Welcome aboard Steve. You're right, "uh-oh!". I am assuming that this is nestled in a corner on the left and top. If that red area is also a wall, you have two reach problems, the one on the upper left is an impossible reach and the one on the upper right is quite tough. But we can discuss them when you re-post in a different thread as you requested. I look forward to that as I see other things that as a newbie you might not be aware of. The plan itself looks good.
Ah, I should be more clear. The layout is oriented so 'up' is north. The entire north edge is against a wall. The entire west edge is free with an aisle. That east edge of the yard sticks into an alcove, which is represented by the heavy red lines, but the rest of the edge is free. And yes, I realize the the southern loops go "off" the tabletop. That is by design and I am thinking (and would appreciate suggestions) on how to make that the premier viewing spot for the running trains .

Apologies for the confusion. I am a tad busy with work and meetings today, but hope to solicit suggestions for the layout very soon. I am getting ready to start the yard!

Welcome, what part of MN are you in? I'm in the Twin Cities but hoping to move out and get more layout space.

Twin Cities here as well - New Hope, NW suburb by Plymouth. Not too far from Becker Model Railroad Supply. Though I must say, I teach part-time in St. Paul and found Scale Model Supplies ! ! ! ! ! 🤩

I've never been to Becker Model Supplies. Scale Model Supplies is pretty dangerous though. :)

Ah Minnesota, Canada's long lost other province!
I grew up with Baders Hobby’s and Hobby Hut in Moorhead.
Welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing what you come up with, saving my “uh-oh's” for later. 😉

Back