Monthly Picture Thread - May 2021

BNSF stack train belonging to North Metro's VP passes by my Amtrak Arrowhead in the dark.

IMG_20210501_111727978_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Howdy .....

twforeman, dakotalove39, George, Tom O, Lloyd, and Dennis ..... Each of your osted outstanding work and good photography !

My photos show coal being handled on my Heartland Division of CB&Q (fictional division) . My trains haul coal from the mines to the steel mill and to the power house in the city. Also, some industries receive single carloads of coal.

Hoppers switched at the mine by a GP7:

51161305940_1a717ab82e_k.jpg

Train with two SD9's leaving the mines.

51159536667_36c81a9172_k.jpg

Coal train moving down the line.

51160441923_68cd0c7071_k.jpg

Rolling through the country.

51159538517_915f471e80_k.jpg

Arriving in the City of Heartland.

51159539452_0f8f5eb7db_k.jpg

Baldwin switcher moving hoppers at the power plant.

51161310960_eca0597f52_k.jpg

Another pair of SD's is picking up empty hoppers at the steel mill.

35959288973_35ef8142ce_b.jpg

Oh, Garry! Wow! A man after my own heart! I notice that some of your geeps have dynamic brakes and some don't...very prototypical to the "Q". So do some of mine on the Grashhook, Galesburg & Western Division of the "Q". What scale, and how big is your layout. Appears a lot bigger than mine. Do you run any Zephyrs, especially "shovel noses"? Used to ride the real Pioneer and Mark Twain Zephyrs as a kid, back when they had to slow down to allow dinosaurs to cross the tracks! o_O

Oh, Garry! Wow! A man after my own heart! I notice that some of your geeps have dynamic brakes and some don't...very prototypical to the "Q". So do some of mine on the Grashhook, Galesburg & Western Division of the "Q". What scale, and how big is your layout. Appears a lot bigger than mine. Do you run any Zephyrs, especially "shovel noses"? Used to ride the real Pioneer and Mark Twain Zephyrs as a kid, back when they had to slow down to allow dinosaurs to cross the tracks! o_O

Thanks for commenting. It is interesting you road on the PZ and on the MTZ. I rode on the Twin Cities Zephyr several times. I also rode on Q commuter trains into Chicago hundreds of times. The TCZ is history , and Metra now operates the commuter trains. ... Burlington had lots of SD units and GP units. Most SD7’s and SD9’s had dynamic brakes, but not all of them. The GP7’s and GP9’s did not have dynamic brakes. ... The Zephyrs on my layout have E-units. ... I grew up next to the CB&Q “race track” west of Chicago, and I watched a lot of trains.

Some great stuff posted so far. I like the bridge, paper mill, CB&Q coal trains and the mine, the picture with the eagle soaring above the house is great for "The Month of Freedom".

I have a trio of old Atlas C30-7 locomotives I've been meaning to paint up in BN and ATSF. I want to do two BN locos and one Santa Fe, the ATSF C30-7s showed up quite a bit on coal trains in the era I model. One of the BNs will be BN 5050, mostly so I can say, "take ol' 5050 there, you'll probably make it!"

They need some details fixed though, mainly the cabs and truck sideframes. The cab is correct in that it has 4 sides with windows and a roof but the windows are the wrong sizes and in the wrong places and the roof profile doesn't look like the C30s in photos. The headlight and number board assembly doesn't look right either. The trucks are GSC/Rockwell castings with low mount brakes. Atlas did Adirondack trucks with low mount brakes but their GSC trucks had high mount. Here are some screen grabs of my WIP solutions,
5050cab.jpg

5050trucks.jpg

The cab was drawn with the personal (free) version of Fusion 360 and was the second thing I drew with that program. The finished version has 49 sketches and 60 extrusions. The ATSF version has a few more of each. The trucks were drawn with Inventor and are the most complicated thing I've attempted so far. I still need to add the mounting pins and figure out a few of the constraints (part relationships) but I am excited to see it this far. The assembly shown represents hundreds of drawings and extrusions.

Back