Running Bear’s May 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikey, be safe in that weather.
Thanks for the kind thoughts!
The storms have moved east but they left a lot of flooded areas. We had some loss of trees due to the winds but it could have been much worse.
We got 6.68 inches of rain in the last 24 hours and many local streams are over their banks, cleaning out the trash thrown in the roadway ditches.
Looking forward to a sunshiny day tomorrow.

Good evening ....

Speaking of bad weather, it has been stormy here lately. At 4:30 am this morning, we were awakened by a severe storm and with tornado warnings. We lost power for 4 hours. Some buildings in our area were damaged. We spent time later in the day picking up broken tree branches.

Everybody:..... Have a good night.

Good Morning!
It's dribbling rain outside with the temperature sitting on 34°F.
The landscape is beginning to look like spring; the Tree Swallows have returned from migration and booted the House Sparrows out of the bird boxes as of yesterday. The sparrows are now evicted, so I'm hoping they didn't lay their eggs yet. I don't see egg shells on the ground, so I guess things are good.

I got the first dose yesterday; Moderna. I'm not suffering ill effects, and I didn't scream like a little girl when he stuck that needle into my arm. Plus, my wife's Covid test came back negative. So, things are good!

As I'm looking out the window onto the wet ground, I wonder if we are in for another damaging snow storm, like the one we had in May, 2016. That was a horrible, deadly snowstorm that churned everything over on that years May long-weekend.
Here are a couple of photos that I took from outside my house, the day the snow showed up.
The neighbor across the street lost a beautiful ornamental apple from their front yard. Pure weight of snow took it down:
View attachment 127729
I never lost any trees that day. When I saw what happened to the neighbors tree, I went outside and shook the snow off of my trees.
Here's my backyard on that day 5 years ago:
View attachment 127730
Around here, a storm like that can come any month of the year.
The worst part for me that day, was literally the thousands of songbirds that died. Migrating songbirds will not land in the snow; so many of them landed on the black asphalt highways where they were killed by traffic. I noticed the highway was littered with the corpses of tiny songbirds. It was very sad.

Since it's raining today, I'm hoping I can get some color onto my little boat. That's what I'm going to work at.
It sounds like the weather will be good tomorrow, so I suppose I'll be replacing the back door on our home. Best to do it now when there arn't any mosquito's yet, and it's not overly warm. - The wife is bothering me everyday about that door.

Jaz avalley - I'm surprised that Snowy Owls are found in the UK; that's cool! There are many around here, but, they only winter in my area. They'll nest on the northern tundra during the summer months, where there are lots of lemmings and moles.

Willie - I know you don't like making trees, but, the ones you made look very good to my eye. Well done!

Troy - Seems everything enjoyable that we do, has some kind of sad side-effect. I know how smoke seems to be attracted to the human face and eyes. It must be so much worse for you if you have asthma. - The chop looks good, though. Might make the suffering worth it.

Once again, thanks for all the likes on my past writings. If I don't take any photos today, I probably won't be coming in tomorrow. There's a door installation standing in the way.

Have a good one!
I do not think the snowy eagle is native,illegally obtained and the perpetrator caught and the owls sent to the centre.

Morning all,

I have time for a cup and a bacon and egg burrito.
Nothing on the train front, rabbits are taking out my tomatoes. 1 plant completely gone, 2 others damaged. I only planted 4. Don't have a dog in the yard anymore. On the plus side, not having a dog in the yard, I didn't have the usual plague of flies show up when I was grilling the burgers on Sunday. Usually I get a bunch when I just move the grill. I always get a kick on the home improvement shows when people have movable walls of glass open completely to the outdoors and no flies. I can't open a normal door without getting them in the house.

Good Morning!
So long as the sky is blue when the sun rises, today will be the day I tear out a perfectly good backdoor to replace it with another newer door. All in the name of marital bliss, I suppose.
If I were still a bachelor, I'd be keeping the old door and using the $600.00 cost of the new doors for modeling supplies.

It's 33°F right now at 5:00am, and headed up to somewhere in the 60's with the forecast of sunshine. So it should be a pleasant door day.

Jaz avalley - I hope we get our Snowy Owl back, and that the thief who stole it is jailed for life in a small cell filled with owl coloring books and no crayons.

Karl - I also suffered the pain of not being able to access the MRR site due to some brief security lapse, late last night. I found it disturbing enough that I felt compelled to contact the only friend I know how to get in touch with - Sherrel. I wanted to know if it was my fault, or if a hacker was responsible. - I'd like to put hackers in the same cell as the owl guy, but, they'd get a PC coloring book; just because I'm a nice guy.

Tom in Wisconsin - I also liked the modeled culvert photo. Sometimes the simplest photo subjects are the best.

Sherrel - When that beautiful Apollo 11 photo was taken, I was on holiday with my parents in beautiful British Columbia. Dad bought a b/w TV with a 12" screen just so we could watch that space mission.

Yesterday, I decided to give my little boat a wood look paint job. I chose to use artist oils, because they have such a beautiful, rich look to them. The down side is that they take about a week or better to cure; but, it's worth the wait.
Before I applied the oils, I gave the boat a base color of Tamiya Desert Yellow. Then I applied the oils, using Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, and Burnt Umber in various combinations to give the wood look some variety in hue.
I can't really take a good photo of everything, yet. The boat is presently in a 'Do Not Fondle' state:
Boat_05-04-2021 (1).jpg

Well, I had better have a hardy sausage and eggs-over-easy breakfast along with another coffee, and then get on with the door project. Here's a photo of the perfectly good door set-up, that will soon be a distant memory.
OldDoor_05-01-2021.jpg

I just can't believe she wants to replace that beautiful door. I'll bet Willie's face is contorting at the thought of such a despicable waste.

Have a good one, friends!

Morning everyone! As Arti used to say on Laughin, "Verily Intersting"!
Correct me if I am mistaken, but to my best recall ability - The Forum has never been secure? If I remember, BOB determined that there was nothing to "steal" - and therefore not worth paying the extra fees?
Now, why that message decided to show up is something that someone smarter than I will have to explain.
I thought PATRICK may have been playing games with one of his overnight forrays?

GUY -- Not sure about replacing that door ... I need to go back and read "why" again? good luck with the carpenter work.
You work on your door and I will LUG a monster bedroom set upstairs. After 30 years of marriage and 13 years of being in this house - the Spousal Unit decided that we needed a massive king-size bed frame with a gigantic headboard and footboard.

GARY - Very funny comment from you this day!

PATRICK - You live in cattle or horse country? I thought you were a city slicker? I did not realize the flies would be bad around there. We are pretty much "bug-free", but do have a problem with flies really bad if the temp and humidity are on opposite sides of the room. There are a lot of horse "farms" around here - cattle, not so much.

FLO - Morning to you! Blueberry flapjacks and lots of bacon this morning - PATY!

Time for a warmup mit the java! BBL

Morning all...

Just coffee for now, Flo.

Wife and I are debating on celebrating Quinto Maggio tonight.

What's that? Quinto Maggio is where we avoid the (hopefully vaccinated crowds) at our local Mexican eateries, and go get pasta and breadsticks at the local, family owned, Italian place.

As for hobby world, still working on the American Civil War dudes. That will be a full year on project. I'm only working on the first 10 bases (20 dudes each base). So I've got another 2200 dudes (plus, I'm not counting the artillery nor the Regimental commanders on horseback) yet to paint. Going to be a long drawn out painting spree.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 9.48.18 AM.png
INPUT Desired from those of you who have gone to visit the Civil War Battlefields:

Wife and I are debating a driving Vacation from Indiana to either Gettysburg (with a stop in Canton OH for some RR Museum time), or down to Tennessee to visit Shiloh and surrounding.

Wife found stuff around Gettysburg she'd like to see, but we haven't looked into the Shiloh (Pittsburg Landing) area of Tennesee. Who's been? What did you and the spouse find interesting?

Sherrel: I do live in town, sort of. I only have to go 1 block and the rest of the area goes to pasture land. I have seen deer on my block in a backyard that isn't fenced. Not sure where the flies come from for sure. Seems like they're always around whenever I want to do any cooking or other activities in the back yard. Even with winds through the yard at 25-30mph they find a way there.

Speaking of flies\insects, how does a person or pet left in a hot car for 30 minutes have health related issues (including death), but a fly in the same car will live for days?

Guy: I have to do the front and back doors on the boys house in the next couple of weeks. The doors at in my garage waiting for me. The original front door in his house is hollow core, so no insulation value. The back door is a nice steel insulated door that was put in with only expanding foam and wasn't set properly, so it has a 1/8" gap at the bottom hinge side and the opening side is pushed into the door area that I need 1/8"+ to be able to get the door shut. Previous owner had it replaced a month before the house went on sale and his handyman didn't have a clue on what he was doing. Not the first item I corrected.

Good morning from Wisconsin. Such a difference from the damp and gloom of yesterday. Today the eyes are hurting from the bright sun and I am inside still. We may hit 60f degrees.

thank you all for the great compliments on the creek scene, I appreciate it

Today is my official exercise free day. I do 3 on, off on Wednesday and then 3 again. Each Monday the exercise routine is changed.

I put some pictures on my grain complex build thread as that again is what I am working on the layout. I also have started cleaning track. I have been running Power on Board, or batteries if you prefer. When I tried the DCC system it was very clear the track needed cleaning. Along with the conveyor towers over the grain bins that’s what is happening on the layout.

Troy, I hope you get some responses. Last year on our way back from the usual April/May trip back from Austin we were planning on the battlefields in Mississippi and Tennesse. Covid cancelled that and this year’s April/May trip. We were planning for this year to be DC and Gettysburg but again because of Covid, Terry stayed on Maui. Great looking troops you have assembled.

JazA and Guy, I never I understood poachers of live animals. If a Snow Owl or anything else is illegal somewhere and you have one there you are bound to be caught. Thanks for sharing the owls pictures JazA.

guy, you are stuck man. Install the unneeded door and let her be happy. Your happiness is not needed. I believe there is a unwritten rule about that!

Enjoy your day
TomO

4A001F0A-9A11-42E7-A357-13AB757340BE.jpeg

Good Morning All. ¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo! Está despejado y hace 49 ° aquí en el centro norte de Texas esta mañana. Oh wait! I am not at work any more; no need to habla Espanol. Cool but sunny day yesterday at 71°, a repeat today before getting into the 80's tomorrow. If the forecast is to be believed, it will be dry until next Monday. Eventually it dried out some yesterday, and I mowed about 70% of the front yard, there's still some standing water out there that I avoided.. Today I will get most of the south side of the estate, Friday's target is the west and southwest sides. Might get part of the yard between the house and pool done tomorrow after the grocery trek.
My wife was going stir-crazy yesterday morning, since she hadn't been in the car since last Thursday when we went to town; and she was talking going shopping to spend money. So instead, I took her to the local zoo nearby in the city of Gainesville TX. She is always complaining that I never take her anywhere. Do the weekly grocery/beer treks count??? I don't mind driving places, but after 43 years of a 100 mile round trip commute to work every day, driving just isn't on my "must do" list. But I digress here. The Frank Buck Zoo is an interesting little place, not a large place and they don't have some of the larger animals like the zoos in Dallas and Ft Worth have. But it is less crowded and my county taxes help fund it. Easy for me to get to as well. Despite being 18 miles away, I only have to make two turns to get there. And there are just two stop signs the whole way, both on the road out front of my place. The highlight to me was the black bears and the flamingos.
IMG_6238.JPG

IMG_6237.JPG

This bear was in a "nursery pen", there were five others in the large outdoor pen.
IMG_6241.JPG
IMG_6207.JPG

There were a number of juvenile llamas that looked rather awkward.
IMG_6212.JPG

Unfortunately, their elephant accidentally crushed a handler several years back and was removed to a sanctuary.

BLT today with extra bacon Flo. Double shot of OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks for the many likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Rick, Patrick, Justin, Guy, Sherrel, Tom O, Chad, Gary, Jaz, Phil, Hughie, Ken, Karl, Tom, Garry.

Between the road trip and mowing, I got limited time in the train shed yesterday. I did spend time searching my brush piles for suitable twigs to use in making a woodpile, most are too large. I found enough and spent about an hour making the pile.
IMG_6244.JPG

I'm running trains this evening since it has been a couple of days!

Tom - That lawn looks like a maintenance nightmare. Very nice looking though. I don't even try to come that close.
Troy - As others have commented, nice looking pork chop. Charcoal grilling has always been a favorite with me. Three to four nights a week even in the winter. Only rain and very high winds keep me indoors. In the last week, it has been burgers, beef fajitas, chicken breasts (eventually used in Chicken Parmesan), and salmon fillets. And I do veggies, sliced squash cooks well directly on the grill without foil, and I have a perforated pan for many others. I haven't tried out the smoker on my new grill yet, but have a stockpile of pecan, peach and oak wood dried and ready to go.
Guy - I suffered no ill effects from the Moderna vaccine when I got it in January-February, other than the typical sore spot where I got jabbed.
I cheated a little on the trees that I made the other day. I buy these at Hobby Lobby, spray them with Elmer's spray adhesive and then dip and roll them in ground form. Then I spray them with Dull Coat to keep them from shedding; they still do though.
IMG_6188.JPG

This is easier than scratchbuilding them with armatures or twigs.
Good luck with the unneeded door.
Tom O - Regarding the zoo: If you're already stopping at the last OK exit, it's less than nine more miles to the exit. It's exit #497, FM51/California St. It's right on the corner inside Leonard Park. The park also has a RR train to ride on and both the park and zoo have picnic areas, one at the zoo entrance and one in the middle by the giraffes. Cost is $6.50 for seniors and it took us about 75 minutes to make the complete round, but we moved slowly. The only ones moving slower were these zoo residents.
IMG_6229.JPG

Patrick - I doubt that it is rabbits eating tomato plants, the plants are poisonous to them. It is more likely cutworms that decapitate the plants. To prevent them, make a 2" tall ring from a paper towel tube and put it on the plant at planting time. If rabbits are bothering anything, spread some blood meal around the garden. It is an organic fertilizer that adds nitrogen. But more importantly, rabbits, which are vegetarians are repulsed by the smell of blood and will generally stay away. I use it liberally and I live in rabbit country, especially this year when it seems that many of the coyotes did not survive the deep freeze in February.

Looks like today is another broccoli freezing day since I have five heads in the fridge and I need to make room for tomorrow's grocery trek.
Everybody have a great day and stay safe. Have a Corona on me.

EDIT; I typed this over two hours ago and forgot to "Post Reply" or the forum software just failed. That's it, the software failed;)! Just realized that I had posted too many pictures is why it did not upload the first time.

Good Morning!
So long as the sky is blue when the sun rises, today will be the day I tear out a perfectly good backdoor to replace it with another newer door. All in the name of marital bliss, I suppose.
If I were still a bachelor, I'd be keeping the old door and using the $600.00 cost of the new doors for modeling supplies.

It's 33°F right now at 5:00am, and headed up to somewhere in the 60's with the forecast of sunshine. So it should be a pleasant door day.

Jaz avalley - I hope we get our Snowy Owl back, and that the thief who stole it is jailed for life in a small cell filled with owl coloring books and no crayons.

Karl - I also suffered the pain of not being able to access the MRR site due to some brief security lapse, late last night. I found it disturbing enough that I felt compelled to contact the only friend I know how to get in touch with - Sherrel. I wanted to know if it was my fault, or if a hacker was responsible. - I'd like to put hackers in the same cell as the owl guy, but, they'd get a PC coloring book; just because I'm a nice guy.

Tom in Wisconsin - I also liked the modeled culvert photo. Sometimes the simplest photo subjects are the best.

Sherrel - When that beautiful Apollo 11 photo was taken, I was on holiday with my parents in beautiful British Columbia. Dad bought a b/w TV with a 12" screen just so we could watch that space mission.

Yesterday, I decided to give my little boat a wood look paint job. I chose to use artist oils, because they have such a beautiful, rich look to them. The down side is that they take about a week or better to cure; but, it's worth the wait.
Before I applied the oils, I gave the boat a base color of Tamiya Desert Yellow. Then I applied the oils, using Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, and Burnt Umber in various combinations to give the wood look some variety in hue.
I can't really take a good photo of everything, yet. The boat is presently in a 'Do Not Fondle' state:
View attachment 127749

Well, I had better have a hardy sausage and eggs-over-easy breakfast along with another coffee, and then get on with the door project. Here's a photo of the perfectly good door set-up, that will soon be a distant memory.
View attachment 127750
I just can't believe she wants to replace that beautiful door. I'll bet Willie's face is contorting at the thought of such a despicable waste.

Have a good one, friends!
Love the boat colour, and agreed on the owl thief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back