Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's cloudy and 41.
I need to take a wheelchair to the nursing home my wife's in. I guess nursing homes don't have wheelchairs, or there's a nationwide wheelchair shortage, or something.

Your social worker should be able to procure one through your insurance. Either as a monthly rental, or an outright purchase. Now, if you already have one at home from a previous incident, then she should use that one, but bedure her name is on it, in several places so they can't claim it later on when she is discharged.

Evening, I got the engines programed and had an older one that didn't run with the other two (same sound system and chip) so good thing I have the Lok programer and found some differences in the motor settings. Made a few changes and now they all run together. Next is to look at photos to see how they weathered.

The Lok Programmer is pretty cool. it works very well.

Morning all,

Lawn work today once the grass dries from the dew. Supposed to be about 70 later. Still have some stuff at the boys house as we have to takeout part of the fence so we can get some stumps removed. We also need to get the dog run over to his house and reassembled. Took it down years ago and it's hiding behind the shed. Now to dig it out of the weeds...

Good Morning!
With the temperature sitting on 23°F, it's too cold to talk about the weather, so I'm just going to get on with the day. The word is, a blizzard is-a-coming.
Willie - The backyard patio photo from yesterday, with the people sitting around in shorts, is not what's happening around here. I'm seeing the joggers wearing touque's and what looks like insulated spandex.

Sometimes, I feel my wife has gone off the deep end with her flower hobby. She forced me to buy some weird fertilizer online; another product that don't seem to be sold in Canada. She's convinced it will save her Hydraineas.
So I had to order it, at what I believe was double the actual fair cost along with outrageous shipping fees. Because I'm too old to use the 'loss of sex' threat, she uses comparison arguments on my hobbies. She's asking what I paid for all my train stuff online. - No way, can I win that fight; so I might as well just buy the damn fertilizer.

I was able to get a wee bit of modeling into the day, yesterday. Here's a photo of the start of a boat build:
Boat_04-23-2021 (4).jpg

The Newfoundlander, Capt. Fishbait, is explaining the finer points of shipbuilding to a couple of tourists.

I hope to scratch up a small cabin to put on this craft. I'm thinking it won't look so out-of-scale if I change the appearance of the boat. There are numerous on-line photos available, to help me along:
Boat_04-23-2021 (5).jpeg

I might get a chance to work some more on it today. More importantly, though, I need to do further work on the layout room reno going on in the basement. That is taking far and away too long; but, it's a-lot of work to make things right.

Anyway, have a good one, friends! I'm going to get busy; right after I have another coffee.
Thanks for all the likes!

Good Morning All. Clear and 53° here this morning, going up to the mid-70's today. The thunderstorms finally developed here a bit after 4:00 pm yesterday. they were over by 7:00 pm. I have 2.75" in the rain gauge, over 1.5" fell in the 30 minute period between 6:00 and 6:30! At one point early on, the power went off five times in a two minute span, the longest blackout being about maybe 3 seconds. I haven't been out there yet, but I am real sure that my pond has been overflowing over the spillway for the last 12-13 hours. No yardwork for me today.
Front yard.
IMG_6097.JPG

Driveway.
IMG_6098.JPG

I don't know whether this rain was too early to drown the grasshopper hatchlings, as they are too small for me to see this soon. They may not have hatched yet anyway.

How about a pair of over easy eggs and a big pile of sausage patties this morning Flo.

I do appreciate the likes and comments regarding the layout tour received yesterday; Sherrel, Guy, Garry, Karl, Justin, Ken, Patrick, Tom O, Hughie, Joe, Tom.

Train shed time yesterday was cut short because of all of the power flickerings. Sure enough as soon as I got back to the house, it didn't happen again, but the rain intensified so I stayed in. I did get a few more trees going but not yet planted on the layout. I also added some paint to a few more figures. That was all.
As I was looking through the old photos, I came across a few shots that I had taken on my old layout. The metadata shows that I took these in January 2010, a year before I started building the new train shed, and about two months before I started disassembling and packing up the old layout.
may26 006.jpg

may26 011.jpg

may26 013.jpg

P1010154.JPG

P1010168.JPG

Guy - The boat looks like a neat project.
Garry - Belated Happy Birthday to Shelley.

Today is National Pigs in a Blanket Day. Yummy.
Everyone have a great Saturday and keep safe.

Morning - 51 degrees heading to 70 for a high with a low overcast at this time. The sun came out of hiding in time for lunch yesterday - maybe it will today also?
FLO - Pigs in a blanket today ... with a side of bacon too! A glass of OJ too - and coffee while I wait. PATY!

Have a sink in the Spousal Unit's "office" that I cannot get the drain to stop leaking.
The cast sink drain hole is not formed correctly and I can't seem to find a large and thick enough washer to stop the water. I tried three times yesterday and it still has a drip. Today I will try once more before, as a last resort, be forced to make an ugly mess of calking around the drain.

WILLIE - Old layout looks as if it could fit right in with the new - scenery wise?

GUY, LOL -- - My father used to say all the time, "Husbands are a sorry lot".

TERRY - May GOD BLESS in all your trials! Prayers from here for both of you!

Willie - Do you shut down your computers when a cloud approaches?
Being away from that area of the country for as long as I have been - I often wonder how the atmosphere can contain that much water at one time?
I can remember - Miami to Tampa - not being high enough to avoid the clouds - flying through rain so heavy that I actually wondered how the engines kept from flaming out!

You got 1/2 the amount of water in that one shower that we have received all this rain season!

Welp! Why didn't you order them rather than what you did?
Because I make better ones myself!!!
Willie - Do you shut down your computers when a cloud approaches?
Not normally. I have a surge protector that has always worked. Normally they just go off and I have to reboot. The satellite dish receiver is more troublesome, but that's Arlene's issue since I don't watch TV.

The only reason we had Brandy in the house was for my father in law who always had a brandy old fashion before dinner, even if hot dogs on the grill. I think old fashions are are priority for native Wisconsinites.

Mike: Born and raised in Wisconsin, a Old Fashioned is my drink of choice and when we go out for dinner a real must for me to enjoy. I either order a Brandy or Southern Comfort as the liquor in my Old Fashioneds. My largest complaint is a bartender using too much Bitters in my Old Fashioned and the cocktail is ruined. I never order an Old Fashioned outside of Wisconsin since so many bartenders in other states are not familar with the drink. -Greg

Good afternoon. It's raining and 53.
I dropped off the wheelchair after marking my wife's name on it in two places (thanks for the tip, Joe!).
Then, I went to our credit union to deposit my paycheck. They insisted I provide them my email address to make sure my account info was up to date. For some reason, they didn't like the email addy I provided, which was "noreply@nospam.org'.

Good Morning Everyone.....cloudy and seasonal day here in Wisconsin.

I'm still hurting from my first session with my Physical Trainer last Tuesday. In-spite of my pains I went to the Gym on Thursday and using the Nu-Step machine and it made me feel better. The only bad thing was when I got to the Gym, I sat in a foam chair and my butt almost when to the floor. Impossible for me to get up and out so I needed a trainer to help me stand up. Embarrassing!!!

I need to work on standing up and get rid of my lower back pains.

We planned on a trip to the cabin yesterday but rain was in the forecast. Guess what no rain and a perfect day.

Thursday we had 3-4 inches of snow. The village did some plowing, but the snow melted as fast as it came down on the roads.

Riley at her age loves to run free in the rear property which is semi-wooded. I'm just concerned that at her age she will be distracted and run after some animal or ???. She usually listens to Cathy and never lets Cathy out of her sight.

Watching videos since I can't work on the layout as of yet.

Any suggestions for good layout videos...?

That's all for now.....

Greg

#################

Coal Hoppers at Mine.jpg
New River Mine at almost eye level on the CM&N Railroad.-Greg

Undec Ore Car.JPG
Ore train passing a grade crossing with signals. -Greg

A little "in between" project. Installing sound into a DCC ready Genesis GP-40. I wish Athearn did something different, like maybe giving you the speaker enclosure the way Scale Trains does. I'll lose a pretty big chunk of weight, but as this loco will be doing light local or switching jobs, it won't matter that much.

IMG_3376 (1).jpg

A little "in between" project. Installing sound into a DCC ready Genesis GP-40. I wish Athearn did something different, like maybe giving you the speaker enclosure the way Scale Trains does. I'll lose a pretty big chunk of weight, but as this loco will be doing light local or switching jobs, it won't matter that much.

View attachment 127385
Wow! the second clean SP engine in two days!:D

View attachment 127385
As it's from the "generation" before factory installed sound became "the thing" it had more weight applied. That in itself was because of popular demand. Since sound became the newest demand and was listened to (pardon the pun), Athearn for one, now does provide chassis with speaker mounting positions. For their DC/DCC ready models, they provide the same chassis as the sound fitted ones but have the space filled with a removable weight. Best of both worlds that way. I have SD40's of theirs like that.

This was my project for today.
For people that use their laptops for content creation and photo/video editing, we’ve found the laptop can get very warm when working hard. It will also get really warm when doing graphic-intensive work, such as playing modern video games. While my laptop doesn’t get hot enough to cook eggs, less heat is better. I decided to do something about this, and cut a hole in my desk to accommodate a laptop cooling fan assembly. The fan is powered by a USB port on the laptop, and the laptop now operates at a lot cooler temp.
While I wouldn’t suggest this if you have a thousand dollar desk, it certainly helped cool the laptop, while keeping the laptop sitting on the desk, instead of a couple inches over it.

DF3BDDD5-3679-4429-976B-06E09855E233.jpeg

Good evening Shop Dwellers! It's 50*F and raining lightly in my central MD neighborhood.

Thanks everyone who "liked" or commented on my most recent post (can't even remember when that was, feeling too tied to search for it).

This was my project for today.
For people that use their laptops for content creation and photo/video editing, we’ve found the laptop can get very warm when working hard. It will also get really warm when doing graphic-intensive work, such as playing modern video games. While my laptop doesn’t get hot enough to cook eggs, less heat is better. I decided to do something about this, and cut a hole in my desk to accommodate a laptop cooling fan assembly. The fan is powered by a USB port on the laptop, and the laptop now operates at a lot cooler temp.
While I wouldn’t suggest this if you have a thousand dollar desk, it certainly helped cool the laptop, while keeping the laptop sitting on the desk, instead of a couple inches over it.

View attachment 127386

Terry - I used a fan platform similar to that one for a year or two, after my laptop shutdown unexpectedly due to overheating. One day my wife wanted to wipe down the table that I had it on, and she just lifted the laptop with the fan platform dangling by the USB cord, and...well you can guess the rest of the story! One of the fan blades cracked when the platform hit the floor, and it was rendered useless. Since that time, I've just kept my laptop suspended on a pair of hardcover books:

LoptopSuspendedOnBooks.jpg

...so for the past year or so, the air flow beneath the bottom has done a pretty good job of preventing heat buildup!

Haven't been in much of a mood for mrr stuff because of this esophageal ailment I have. The stress has returned: I learned that a person can have GERD even when they do NOT have any painful symptoms (like heartburn or belching-up acid). I always thought "dry" burping after a meal was a perfectly natural way of letting out the air bubbles you swallow while eating. But apparently that's not the case...very few people burp, and it's a warning sign of reflux! So once again I'm stressing about what the GI doc is gonna find during my endoscopy in 2 weeks...:confused: At least it's very unusual for full-blown cancer to develop in a 3-year period (time since my last endoscopy), but surgery may still be necessary if the molecular structure of the tissue has been altered to something pre-cancerous.

It's bedtime now, I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight so I can be vertical and prevent any stomach acid from leaking into the esophagus and causing major discomfort when I wake up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back