Repairing my crossing gates

NYC_George

So a while back I was working on some wiring under my layout and my screw driver hit my Logic Rail grade crossing pro module shorting it out ruining both boards. I learned my lesson don't have the power on when working on live wiring. With all my other projects finished I decided to call Logic Rail and see if I can salvage anything. They told me it's a lot cheaper to repair the units then buy new ones even though the new upgraded Grade Crossing Pro 2's are out. He said, there's no charge for just looking at the modules. So I'm sending them out and seeing what they say. I have the units setup to use IR detectors to open, close and run the flashers although they can use photocells or an outside detection source. As soon as there sent back I'll do some posts on the subject.
George

Logic_Rail_Grade_Crossing_Pro.jpg
crossing_gate_emitter_detector.jpg

George: Please keep us posted on your module repairs. I have heard that many times a manufacture or supplier will replace a damaged electronic item rather the expense and time to make repairs. The "repair" charges are usually very fair.

I have used Logic products in the past and the company has always been very helpful and very customer orientated.

Greg

I'm kind of going through the same thing except it's just a flasher unit from Circuitron. One of my FL-2 flasher modules is only working half the lights at a time, not all. The L terminal works but the R terminal isn't because I think I shorted it out when I was trying to light up my crossing signals along with my gate arms (yes I put lights on my gate arms too) and they're incandescent.

I told Circuitron about it and asked them if they could repair it and how much it would cost. They said the repair was 5 dollars and the cost to send it back to me was 4.00. There's also having to pay to send it in but that's to the post office. But I am longing to get my flasher unit fixed and maybe purchase a new one.

I've also learned I have to be careful how to wire flasher units. With FL-2 flashers, you should only wire up to eight incandescent light bulbs, four maximum to both the L terminal and the R terminal, I was told wiring 10 bulbs is "iffy," whatever that means! What I do is wire the lights I intend to flash to the L and R terminals but wire the tip lights directly to the power source.

This is what I'm doing by the way
Crossing Gate with three (3) 7219R Bulbs.png

HO Railroad Crossing Display March 18, 2021.png
NJI 1190 Cantilever with Lighted Gate 3-30-21-02.png

Note, the second picture is just for display. The third picture, although the lights are working, I didn't interconnect the gate lights with the signal lights, they're on separate flasher units for now but I am planning to eventually interconnect the signal lights with the gate lights. And I did try to do the same thing here
NJI 1190 Cantilever Signals and Gate Light Display.png

Now I have two signals and two gates, all lit up, but again the signals are not interconnect with the gates, I was just putting this on display. And I have to say this was a drag!

But getting back on topic, I am planning to get my Circuitron flasher unit repaired and it will only cost me nine dollars, well a little more to send it back to them, then 5 dollars to repair it, and then another four to get it sent back. And I have to print and send them a copy of the email they replied to me and to do so I'll need to go to a library because my printer isn't working too well. And I need to be a lot more careful with these flasher units, I don't like not having them work and I don't like having to get them repaired!

On a side note @NYC_George , may I see your crossing gates? I love crossing gates!

George: Please keep us posted on your module repairs. I have heard that many times a manufacture or supplier will replace a damaged electronic item rather the expense and time to make repairs. The "repair" charges are usually very fair.

So today I got an email from Logic Rail. The cost of repairing both units is $19.00 which includes shipping. You can view the email below.

logic_rail_repair_boards.JPG

WHOA! That's like ten more dollars than I have to pay to get my flasher unit repaired and sent back to me!

But congrats on getting an email back from them and the repairs. Hope all goes well for you! Do let us know please how this works out!

WHOA! That's like ten more dollars than I have to pay to get my flasher unit repaired and sent back to me!

But congrats on getting an email back from them and the repairs. Hope all goes well for you! Do let us know please how this works out!

Well that's for 2 boards $8.50 a board They sell for $42.00 each without the IR emitters. So I'm more then happy to pay the $19.00.
George

Back