Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back again. ...

I neglected to thank Dave LASM and Curt for commenting on my 1900 era scene. Also thanks, Everybody, for the 18 Likes.

Willie ...... Cheese lovers day? .... Hmmmmm . I just love cheese ! .... Nice scenes in your photos today.

A troller trh-200. What is this gizmo?
Troller make solid state power packs , the one's I have seen look similar to the old MRC s , thats some sort of walkaround its may be self contained or it may just be control head .

I am only vaguely familiar with Troller , I designed my own DC throttles back 30 years ago because I wasn't satisfied with the stuff that was on the market.

Looks like the Postal Service is behind about 10 days? IRS says they mailed check on the 6 th , and it arrived today 20th. Now it go right back out the door to the local taxing authorities.
Houston, the nations 4th largest city, population including surrounding area 4.5 million people. They sent 30,000 doses. Makes you wonder who's steering the boat.
Hughie: thats 30,000 more than what we got (CenTX) . HEB says they have received nothing for Phase 1B. It doesn't really surprise me at all ,besides its to late really to make any difference this winter, It takes 4- 6 weeks for the vaccine to reach full effect.
I was considering signing up for Phase 1 B , I could probably get in for health reasons , but even if I took the shots , It wouldn't do any good until March. And after all those people in Norway died from taking the shot (Pfizer) , I think I'll wait and see if some of ya'll suhvive.

One of the many things that I like about the good ole USA is that we can have our on opinions on things like who has the best looking equipment whatever the equipment is. Personally I think BNSF is the best, but I grew up in Newton KS, where at one time 32 ATSF passenger trains went through every day. In 1952 I was a fireman for ATSF for short time, went from them to the Army, could of had my old job back when I retired from the Army

Well now that I'm home. I have hands on the new GP9. And ofcourse the first order of business is to check axle gears. And....they are cracked!!! No surprise there. I expected it. However I came prepared this time. I have a fresh set ready to go. Ah yes cutting corners. Also I forgot some units have an off center C&O herald on the short hood. Which is true to prototype. I've seen C&O units in pictures with it. It's an eyesore I'll have to warm up to. Oh and I stumbled onto something today. My GP7 5713 and the prototype on the Paint Creek branch a few miles up the road.
unnamed (2).jpg

20210120_180823.jpg

16111943380502423416372596377117.jpg

Ahhhh!!!! My....ocd!!! Off center herald!

Thanks to all who replied about my inquiry into the UP freight cars. I've been perusing some of the links and looking at stuff related to my question.

The reason for the question is that I may have accidentally hit "buy now" on an eBay sale of a new KATO "The Spirit" SD70ACe with TCS DCC "factory" installed. If anyone asks I'll deny it...

It will be needing something to haul, eventually...

Hi Shop Dwellers, it's 26*F clear and calm at my central MD property.

A big thanks to all the "likers" and commentators - Garry, Phil, Dave B, Hughie, Sherrell, Tom-O, James, Patrick, Jerry, Willie, Tom-C, Justin, Joe, Chad, Jerome, Curt

The big news of the day (well...the other big news, for ME at least) is that the solar company finally sent its people out to temporarily remove the panels from my roof. This is the company that had been the proverbial "brick wall" preventing my new roof from being installed, their communication was pathetic and I was wondering if and when they would ever send someone out; in fact I was very close to having a lawyer draw up a Demand Letter to get them to reply to my messages. Luckily it never reached that point...

Anyway, the roofing contractor is aiming for late next week to put on the new roof, since the temperatures will supposedly be a bit milder by then.

My F9-to-F7 conversion project has come to a momentary halt because, the Detail Associates F-unit detailing kit has become unobtainium! Sold-out everywhere, and DA quit making them several years ago. I started a separate thread in hopes that somebody could tell me if the Cal-Scale detail kit was at least somewhat comparable to the DA kit, but I only got one response from somebody who never actually used the kit. So I started a similar thread on this question over on the MRHmag forum (Joe Fugate's website). We'll see if I get any nibbles over there[?]

Don't know who's the largest, but CSX has nicer looking (color) engines. 😊
Tom - I very much prefer their YN2 gray blue & yellow "hockey stick" scheme. The yellow on the YN3 scheme reminds me too much of un-maintained, soot-covered yellow nosed C&O hood units!

Well the GP9 is a basket case. It bogs down when running. Its was heavily used and it shows. Rear light doesn't work. Installed my axles on hand. I'm willing to bet my axles is what is bogging it down. It only bogs down under load. The shell.....the shell was a nightmare!!! By far the hardest shell install I've ever done. And I have 5 other P2Ks I've put together. So this isnt my first rodeo. Not to take away from this unit because by itself this thing is awesome!! Slow speed on both of my throttles. This one unlike my GP7 plays well with my Varipulse throttle. So all in all I need to figure out why it surges under load. Axle slip maybe? Who knows. I may redo the gears on the original axles.

Tom - I very much prefer their YN2 gray blue & yellow "hockey stick" scheme. The yellow on the YN3 scheme reminds me too much of un-maintained, soot-covered yellow nosed C&O hood units!
I do too Ken, the weathering really sticks out on the gray and lighter blue. In second would be Cheese,C&O.B&O. A lot of manufactures will do Chessie but not the other 2 with all the modern bells and whistles that these sound engines have today.

Well the GP9 is a basket case. It bogs down when running. Its was heavily used and it shows. Rear light doesn't work. Installed my axles on hand. I'm willing to bet my axles is what is bogging it down. It only bogs down under load. The shell.....the shell was a nightmare!!! By far the hardest shell install I've ever done. And I have 5 other P2Ks I've put together. So this isnt my first rodeo. Not to take away from this unit because by itself this thing is awesome!! Slow speed on both of my throttles. This one unlike my GP7 plays well with my Varipulse throttle. So all in all I need to figure out why it surges under load. Axle slip maybe? Who knows. I may redo the gears on the original axles.
If it was heavily used, it could be worn motor brushes or weak brush springs. IIRC, that's a clone of an Athearn drive, so Athearn brushes and springs may fit.

Good morning y'all. Glad to see the world has not ended...yet, 43 with the promise of highs in the mid 50s and a slight chance for rain, I will be performing an anti-rain dance following this post. I don't want to play in mud today as I attempt to wrap up my drainage job.

Flo- Coffee, please. And while I watch the sky and wait, how about a ribeye with scrambled eggs and bacon. Feeling carnivorous today and only red meat will satisfy.

Reworked my track plan last night. I have not tested it yet, and I am a few track sections short (ain't that always the case?), but as long as operation is smooth and no power issues, I am pleased with the outcome. I will edit this post shortly with a photo as it is on my phone and I am not.

Lots of good pics the last few days. Wondering how many more ladies Willie has on his layout 😄

Phil- feel better soon, hope it's nothing serious,

Mikey- lurking here is ok, but remember that in some places it's called stalking and frowned upon.

IBKen- good luck on finding your detail kit, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Justin- good luck with the GP9.

Y'all have a blessed day.

Here's the new track plan:
B657AA68-EBC5-441B-B8F2-73FC38127DCC.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back