Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karl - an item I ordered last month was passed through my city and sent (UPS) to Vancouver, where it sat in a warehouse for 2 weeks. When it finally arrived it was badly damaged and had to be returned. Strangely, it only took FedEx 3 days to get it back to Missouri.

Dave, damage is what worries me the most. The package has 3 locos in it, 2 Atlas, 1 AHM. The only thing that gives me hope is the RS3s are in their original boxes. If the AHM loco sacrifices itself to save the Atlas locos, so be it.

Morning from out here!
FLO - Please bring me scrambled this morning with whole wheat toast and a large pile of bacon. OJ to wash it down with, please.

Another winter's day out here. Not a cloud anywhere to be seen and a temp of 40 degrees going to a 77 high ... it topped out at 79 yesterday!

Today is decor day for the homestead.
Cheers!

Speaking about package shipments, I believe Canada Post is very efficient. I shipped a package to France on November 17, and it's there already. Even with the pandemic restrictions, I believe that package made good time. I just can't bad-mouth Canada Post.

Maybe sending stuff to other lands, but, at least when I was in business, stuff I sent to Canada would take weeks to get delivered. Tracking would show it getting to Canada Post in a couple days, and then languish there for a long time. It has been a few years since I sent lots of stuff north, so maybe they've gotten more efficient. But they did not have a good reputation back then for quickly processing and passing stuff to the recipients...

Afternoon All,

Woke up this morning with a scratchy throat and stuffy nose. My morning was spent trying to fix the stereo disc player, needless to say it's in the garbage now. I wonder what I'm getting for Christmas? This afternoon I hooked up the track feeders to the reverse loop buss and tested the track electrically with a meter. I should start testing with locos tomorrow.

This may sound confusing but the non-reverse powered track and the reverse powered track are not connected yet. I am waiting on a track order to come in. I am using new flex track on the main and reverse loop arounds.

Joe- Nice photos. I'm with you about everything being hyped beyond reason.

Dave- Nice looking building but that is a lot of windows.

Terry- Great layout shot. I love the depth of field.

Tom- Nice home decorations.

Willie- Great pictures. It looks like Mrs. Stone is giving the garbage men what for!

Dave LASM- Still not great at soldering but definitely better than before. I think flux has a lot to do with it.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon y'all. Right now it's sunny with a strong North Wind, and the temperature hovering around 40°. Seasonable weather, eh?

Finished my Christmas Shopping except for one more gift for son #2. he's harder to buy for as he is not into Model railroading. Tomorrow I take the wife's car in for an oil change...maybe my truck can go in Friday morning...

Curt: I have had a sneezy-runny nose for a second day now, no sore throat or any other symptom. I'm blaming it on using solvent based paint on the layout the other day. Seriously, I haven't been in contact with anyone but the wife, since the Friday before Thanksgiving, so It probably isn't a cold or worse.

Guy: Heat wave, eh? My only experience with Canada Post, involved an order from Fast Tracks which took 30 days, and a couple of purchases from the Royal Canadian Mint, which were quite fast. Sometimes, it's the shipper. My take on the USPS is a slow down because volume is heavy while management is playing cost containment.

Willie: The Stone Bakery scene with the Sanitation Dept, really brings out the "Brooklyn" in you. The guys on the roof also tell a story...

I'm falling behind on my outside decor...just not in to it yet. I'm headed down to the train room to see what I can get into.

#5511 Meadows Pit Early Conrail Bill Strassner.jpg

5316 Meadows Pit Erie MU in Background Bill Strassner.jpg

Local power weekending at the Meadows, early Conrail. Bill Strassner photo. Note "Lackawanna" MU train passing in background of second photo.

Bayhead, 1971-1972.jpg

Now, "Downa shore", E7s head out on "Coasters", at Bay Head Yard, in 1971 or 1972. Bill Strassner photo.

Howdy ....

Guy ..... I think you will enjoy the Sylvan Models kits. I had assembled a few of them, and I am very happy with results.

Below is my livestock tractor trailer with Sylvan kits. Tractor is a White Truck with three axles, but the third axle is in the shadow.

50671486538_fcde9a3762_k.jpg

The dark green grain truck is a Sylvan International Truck model.

36802577445_55954d6a99_b.jpg

Next is an orange Mack dump truck from a Sylvan kit. Dump trucks behind if were from other kit makers.

50043374908_a5fc68e1d3_h.jpg

The smaller red Chevrolet lumber delivery truck is a Sylvan model with a gray cargo deck I made and added to it. Next to it is a large red Chevrolet lumber delivery truck I made from another kit manufacturer. I also made a cargo deck and added it.

36663128971_ba5392c369_b.jpg

Willie...... I continue to enjoy seeing all of your pictures. I'm wondering how the workers got on the roof on the one building.

Pre-op session went well.

I want to correct myself here. I said Monday was D-Day...sorry got my brains scrambled. D-Day is June 6th......December 7th is when Japs attacked Pearl Harbor. I edited my previous post. Hopefully I didn't offend on mixing the history dates.

Evening folks ... The Santa Ana winds are'a kicking up a storm outside. Usually we are not bothered with them so much as we are more sorta "downunder", but tonight is an exception. The temp is 65 - down from 77 and the winds are from the East at 12 mph with gusts to 30. As dry as it is, I hope that no fires get started.

GARRY I always enjoy looking at your vehicles as well as the trains. Nice work on the trucks!

JOE - You hit a homerun with those RS units ... and the E-7's.

Hey Shop Dwellers, it's 35*F, clear and calm where I'm at - typical Maryland winter weather.

Thanks everybody who "liked" my Tuesday post, don't have time to name names tonight.

I see many conversations going on about USPS delivery screw-ups. I had an interesting saga of my own last May/June which I posted about extensively here at that time, don't have time to retell the story right now...

This has been a very long evening! I had to make final preps for being without my own PC for who knows how many days: making sure I had all the install scripts and key codes for my third-party software; making sure I could log in here and on two other forums using my "work" computer; verifying that ALL my important data files were backed up on the detachable D: drive; locating the web address to download and reinstall my printer and scanner device drivers; and making sure my password file was safely removed from the C: drive. Also, I got an appointment to bring my 'puter in to the Geek Squad at 1:40pm tomorrow.

Over the next few days, I'll be logging on from my "work" laptop. Have to do that during non-working hours so I can be off the VPN when I visit here and other mrr-related sites. Might not be able to share photos during this period, unless I can email them from my phone to my account on the work-puter - I don't want to have to plug in any portable storage devices on that machine.

...G'nite!

Hey Shop Dwellers, it's 35*F, clear and calm where I'm at - typical Maryland winter weather.

Thanks everybody who "liked" my Tuesday post, don't have time to name names tonight.

I see many conversations going on about USPS delivery screw-ups. I had an interesting saga of my own last May/June which I posted about extensively here at that time, don't have time to retell the story right now...

This has been a very long evening! I had to make final preps for being without my own PC for who knows how many days: making sure I had all the install scripts and key codes for my third-party software; making sure I could log in here and on two other forums using my "work" computer; verifying that ALL my important data files were backed up on the detachable D: drive; locating the web address to download and reinstall my printer and scanner device drivers; and making sure my password file was safely removed from the C: drive. Also, I got an appointment to bring my 'puter in to the Geek Squad at 1:40pm tomorrow.

Over the next few days, I'll be logging on from my "work" laptop. Have to do that during non-working hours so I can be off the VPN when I visit here and other mrr-related sites. Might not be able to share photos during this period, unless I can email them from my phone to my account on the work-puter - I don't want to have to plug in any portable storage devices on that machine.

...G'nite!
Glad you know what you are doin'

Greetings...

Not sure what I'm going to do...

Seems I got drawn for a complimentary set of courses from my favorite coffee roaster - online courses totaling £220 in value. Yep, the company is in the UK, and I'm in the US. Good thing they're online.

I can handle the home brewing course - it's about alternate methods of brewing (french press, aero press, V60)... but that's only £110 value. The only other class I can subscribe to is for espresso with a home brewing - since airfare, quarantine time, etc in the middle of Covid is going to be pricey if I need to head to London to take a course in person.

So, It may be cheaper to get a home espresso machine (note to Americans, there is no X in espresso... we pronounce it silly).

Anyone have a home machine they like or hate? Recommendations?

Unfortunately, the spousal unit doesn't care for coffee. So this is just for me. My train room shall be well-caffeinated if I get a machine.

Good Morning coffee slurpers......a continuation of the dry, cool, sunny weather today.
Flo.....french toast with that real maple syrup, pepper bacon and a tall orange juice please.
Dave, thanks for the comment about the kit, Willie, progress stalled for a bit until styrene gets here.
Thanks all for the likes...Willie-Ken-Tom-Karl-Sherrel-Flip-Chad-Dave-Guy-Patrick
As you can see, I'm waiting on pieces for the gondola build, and not much else happening......weather looks to be very nice for the weekend, will get the xmas lights up.
I'll leave ya with some photos of the McCloud River RR track and some of the rail that was being used.
IMG_20201202_144233887.jpg

IMG_20201202_121145242.jpg

IMG_20201202_112630484.jpg

That's some nice looking track work eh? That date would be 1906. (far right) The 85 would designate this as 85# rail, built specifically for the Great Northern Railroad. Notice the tie? That's a telegraph pole. I guess when you need a tie, you need a tie!
EVERYBODY HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Good morning all,

Looks like I am posting before Willie today, yesterday I had all sorts of problems with my computer, we have a really bad network here.

Clear and frosty again. We have been hitting the 40's lately which is very nice for December in Minnesota.

Jerry - Very nice rail pics.

Garry - you have some deluxe work vehicles on your layout.

Here is my photo for today, Northern Pacific purchased two of these and I guess they did not like them. One was in the twin cities for a while, otherwise generally used in the Pacific NW.

decapod.PNG

Everyone have a great day, Dave

Last edited:
Good Morning to All. It's cloudy and 41° here with a stiff north wind that won't let up for the next five or six days. Temperature won't get out of the 40's today due to the clouds, but no precipitation in sight.
It must be Thursday, as the refrigerator seems empty; time for the weekly grocery/beer trek today. Thankfully we do not need any TP or paper towels. Stores were not out last week, but choice was limited. I am probably good through March since I purchased my normal brands before the current panic hit. In fact, the only thing that I haven't been able to purchase at any time in the last ten months has been 91% isopropyl alcohol. But I have a spare bottle in the train shed in case I need to top off the one used in the house for first aid.
I did get the Christmas tree up yesterday, but sudden household stuff came up that prevented me from sticking my head in the attic and getting the decorations down. Maybe today. I no longer go into the attic itself, all of the Christmas stuff is within reach of the scuttle hole. I have never installed a folding stairway.

How about some sausage patties, over easy eggs and French Toast this morning Flo. Tall cold OJ to go with that. No espresso here!

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's layout scenes; Rick, James, Guy, Walt, Dave, Dave (Penn Valley), Karl, Patrick, Sherrel, Chad, Mikey, Curt, Tom, Joe, Garry, Luke, Ken, Jerry.

Yesterday I did some more light maintenance and scenery work on the layout. I installed four more ground throws, only about 30 left to do. :rolleyes: Located a picture that I didn't have time to upload the other day, a shot of the trio of GP60M's entering the passing siding in Vernon.
12-14-18 010.JPG

After it was safely tucked in, a pair of ScaleTrains SD40-2's came down the main through town.
12-14-18 001.JPG

After passing through town, they passed the flour mill south of town.
12-14-18 002.JPG

Where a pair of SD45's were waiting on the passing siding here.
12-14-18 004.JPG

Busy day on the rails.
And now a shot of my next mini project. This is a downloaded cardstock farm house that I will add some vegetation and figures to later today or tomorrow.
06-11-19 007.JPG

Troy - I'm not sure what the appeal of espresso is, but I don't drink coffee anyway. My parents used to have it with dessert some evenings in those dainty demi-tasse cups. From what I remember from over fifty years ago, she made it slowly in a special pot with no filter and poured it through a strainer. Seemed like they also added Crème de menthe or Crème de cacao to it afterwards.
James - Good Luck with the procedure (Ugggh!) on Monday. The simple thought of the process makes me quiver.
Guy -
Mrs Stone certainly looks grumpy, Willie. I like her! Really like the rooftop scene, as well.
Naw! She's just giving them an earful regarding the dents that they put in her cans! ;)
Walt - Thank you for your kind comment. While not all scenes are that well set up, I do try to make them all appear life like.
Dave (PV) -
Willie, Will we be seeing a large crane coming to your building with the A/C unit ?
Not at this time. Finances are tight and one is not available.
Dave (L&S man) - You left out the most important part of the event. Was the creep caught?
Mikey/Terry - That empty space is going to be an esplanade alongside a yet to be completed rock-walled lined waterway.
Joe - Thanks. I knew you would get the connection.
Garry - I enjoyed seeing all of your trucks. Great job of modeling them. Regarding the workers on the roof, there's a ladder providing access at the other end of the structure, out of view in either of those pictures.

Gotta go now, Momma wants to discuss the grocery list and itinerary with me.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie,

Not sure if they got him, however unless the girlfriend doesn't talk they must have his name and address. He was wearing a hoodie so all we had was a description of his clothing.

It is unbelievable what kind of attitude they have here toward protecting perpetrators of crime. It is almost like they are heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back