Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening.
There are some big changes coming to the ES&BM.
s-l300.jpg
$_62.JPG

Thanks everyone for their thoughts, prayers, and condolences for my mother-in-law's passing yesterday. We appreciate it.

Luckily our Faith and our Hope helps us understand that this mortal life is but transitory. Also, as she had been sick for a long time, we had been able to say proper good byes and prepare for the event, and were able to be there "live" on FaceTime as she took her lasts breaths, sharing our love and hope with her. It is still hard, of course. Especially for my wife as it was her mom. My wife is doing OK with it, as are her sisters in Japan.

One interesting fact: the MIL's body is still at my sister-in-law's house, being kept cold with dry ice. They've dressed her body with her favorite pants, sweater, etc. The funeral will be a home funeral this coming Friday Japan time, and then the body will be taken for cremation. (Everyone is cremated in Japan -- for various reasons including no space for large cemetery plots -- families will have a small plot where all family member's ashes are kept, if they have a plot).

Again, thanks everyone for your prayers, thoughts, condolences, etc. It means a lot to me.

Good evening Shop Dwellers, in too much of a hurry to check the actual temp - but it's windy and cold as he11 around here!

Thank you everybody who "liked" or commented on my final post in the November Coffee Shop.

Chad - condolences to you and your wife on MIL's passing.🌹🌹

Terry - is that your layout in the photo? If so, it looks fantastic!

Only have time for a quick drive-by post this evening, since it's been a long day (with doc appts etc.) and I'm just plain worn out. Also, my laptop may have to be left with the Geek Squad because it can't install the latest version of windows 10 (v2004 I believe?) and it keeps erroring out, then the following day I always get the same "restart NOW" message; this s*** is just plain getting old!😠 I've already done a manual backup of all my data onto the external D: drive - don't want to have to depend on any third-party software to restore my backed-up files onto a fresh OS, if it comes to that. Will probably have to post from my "work" laptop during that time...

Good evening.
There are some big changes coming to the ES&BM.
View attachment 121374View attachment 121375

That's an interesting paint scheme, I can't remember ever seeing vertical stripes used in such an arbitrary way. Its the sort of thing you would find in an Andy Warhol , but some how goes beyond that. It removes all the unnecessary contrast. You don't see the buildings and the trees anymore you just have to feel them in the space.

I 'm an art critic in my spare time.

Well ... guess I can write this month off with the past part of the year.??
Nothing went the right direction today!

CHAD - I am sorry to read of the passing of your MIL. Condolences to all the family members.

Maybe tomorrow will bring hope?

Good Evening from Montana - A nice 26 degrees outside.

Since some of you are sharing USPS success stories I have one for you also.
A Kemtron C-16 loco kit I pretty much gave up on.

• Nov 27, 2020
  • 11:53am
  • DELIVERED
  • FORSYTH, MT 59327
  • Nov 27, 2020
  • 9:50am
  • AVAILABLE FOR PICKUP
  • FORSYTH, MT 59327
  • Nov 27, 2020
  • 7:12am
  • ARRIVAL AT UNIT
  • FORSYTH, MT 59327
  • Nov 25, 2020
  • 10:03pm
  • PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  • BILLINGS, MT 59101
  • Nov 24, 2020
  • 7:55am
  • BILLINGS, MT 59101
  • Nov 18, 2020
  • 11:24am
  • DENVER, CO 80217
  • Nov 13, 2020
  • 12:17pm
  • BELL GARDENS, CA 90201
  • Nov 12, 2020
  • 4:48pm
  • DEPART POST OFFICE
  • FLAGSTAFF, AZ 86001
  • Nov 12, 2020
  • 4:15pm
  • PICKED UP
  • FLAGSTAFF, AZ 86001
  • Nov 7, 2020
  • 8:40pm
  • PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM
  • FLAGSTAFF, AZ 86004
  • Nov 7, 2020
  • 6:18pm
  • SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM
  • FLAGSTAFF, AZ 86004

If you plan on sending loved ones anything for Christmas - you probably should have mailed it in September.

For all the USPS stories. I used to send a ton of the packages weekly through USPS back when I ran eguns.com as a full time business. I occasionally had packages get way laid and take ans extra week or three, but I never actually had one go missing and never turn up. Hopefully you all get your packages.

Morning all,

Well another 24 hours closer to the winter weather and it looks to be mostly rain and a possibility of up to an inch by morning. Far cry from the 6+ they were talking on Monday. We're even out of the winter storm watch, it's all going to be west and south of here.

Time for a western omelet with hash browns, bacon and a cup of coffee this morning.

Is there really a normal when it comes to computers.🤔

Well, no different than people. ;)

Good Morning All. Clear and 41° here on the plains of North Central Texas. Weather geeks have moved their target for rain for the third time in two days to noonish today, but just a 30% chance. It all depends on how much moisture Patrick can squeeze out of the system while it's in his neighborhood. Cooler today and tomorrow before hitting the upper 50's again on Friday. So goes the fall weather around here.
Today has been designated Christmas decorating day in the SFW household. A few days earlier than traditionally happening, but my wife is feeling differently now that she has two good knees and can stand for more than a few minutes at a time. About five years ago, we switched to an artificial tree instead of one that I cut down in the woods, so I am not concerned with it drying out. No lights outside though.

Ham, grits and eggs over easy for me this morning Francine. So Flo is running late this morning; must have had a date last night.

Thanks to everyone who liked or commented on the pictures yesterday; Guy, Troy, James, Dave, Chad, Phil, Karl, Patrick, Garry, Curt, Tom, Joe, Ken.

Yes, I made it out to the train shed yesterday. Did some minor ground cover here and there, and then rebuilt an Athearn covered hopper kit that I originally built in 1988 or so. I had originally weighted it down with modeling clay, which eventually leached some type of oil out. I had also glued it together, so I had to carefully do some surgery to dismantle it. Removed the clay and cleaned it up before gluing pennies inside to bring the weight up to NMRA recommendations. Somewhere along the way I had already installed KD #5's (during initial assembly) and installed metal wheels sometime after 2005. As usual with these cars, I had to remove spider carcasses and webs from the inside. It's an ACF hopper with those big holes in each end. Glue should be dry by today and I can reassemble it and return it to the pike.
And now for a couple more mini-scenes from around the layout. A couple of days ago, I posted the Stone Bakery, here are a couple more shots of the happenings behind the store.
Mrs, Stone making sure that the trash men don't dent her trash cans.
IMG_5207.JPG

IMG_5205.JPG

Here's a few maintenance men puzzled over the A/C unit on top of the beverage distributor.
IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

Troy -
The big question is whether the wedding cake survives after the purse dogs start chasing each other and throw the photographer off balance...
That's going to be a hard scenario to tie together!;)
Jerry - I have never built an Ulrich kit so I am watching your progress. They all predate my era by quite a few years.
Chad - Good luck with the new assignment.
Bob - Someone obviously changed the wrong CV's yesterday morning. Glad that it's finally fixed.
Greg - I hope that you aren't planning to use 26.400v on your layout!
Dave (truckdad) - I like the paint job on Middlesex Manufacturing.

Love reading and seeing all of the snow pictures and stories. Keep it for yourselves, thank you.
It's a bummer reading of all of the tales of USPS woes. I am so thankful that I have a LHS that I can depend on. I rarely shop online for anything anyway.

Everybody have a wonderful day and keep safe. This China virus ain't going away any time soon.

I am headed to pre-op session today and then a COVID test before Monday's procedure on Pearl Harbor day of the Japs attack. At which time the periscope and a gazillion other instruments including a stent will be going up the "snake river" to remove my 7 mm stone that is stuck in my left ureter tube just below my kidney. Yelp. I am not looking forward to the procedure but am looking forward to the relief. I just want to get it over with. I won't be doing much in the train cave. I am waiting on a few arrivals I will share on the RPO thread.

Ya'll have a good day.

Flo......got any.... Flomax? 😜 🤪 🤣🤣🤣😅😂

Last edited:
Morning everyone!
We are going to be enjoying warmth and sunshine here in mid-western Canada today. That's a good thing, as I have to do some outside work today. Right now, it's a pleasant 29°, but, those in the know are forecasting a whopping high of 36° with a bright, blue sky. Very unusual!

I'm going to have a hearty breakfast of fried egg, cheese and sliced beef, dagwood style on toast; with a limit of one coffee refill. Probably, I won't eat again until later in the afternoon, when the outside work is done. - I'll be installing security lighting and a camera out back of a local gift shop. Seems some unsavory people have been trying to break in at night. The idea here, is to make them think twice about trying to pry the security door open.

Speaking about package shipments, I believe Canada Post is very efficient. I shipped a package to France on November 17, and it's there already. Even with the pandemic restrictions, I believe that package made good time. I just can't bad-mouth Canada Post.

Not too much happening hobby-wise since I finished the Ace hardware. I have been working on a sidetrack cafe', not enough done yet to be showing progress photos.
I did pick up this pair of Sylvan kits:
SylvanKits_12-02-2020.jpg

I'm thinking about building the kits into a grocery delivery transport. Possibly Freson Bros., or Canadian Freightways. Anyway, lots of time for that over the winter.

Mrs Stone certainly looks grumpy, Willie. I like her! Really like the rooftop scene, as well.

Chadbag - I am sorry for you're loss. I know all to well how it feels, and how difficult it is to heal. I would rather be inflicted with physical pain, rather than be going through that terrible, un-healable pain caused by a loved ones passing. Prayers are with you and the wife.

James - At least that kind of pain is short-lived. And you made my face contort this morning!

Suppose it's time to get ready for the day. Have a good one!

Good morning fellow RR modelers. Frosty 23 degrees here - I will be scraping the windshield this morning and wishing the four wheeler had a heater.

Willie - I always enjoy your pictures as the figures make a story instead of looking randomly tossed about.

I got a lot of progress done on my MDC Consolidation conversions yesterday afternoon. Mostly putty work and assembling the cut pieces. Almost ready for that first coat of primer and a posted picture to magnify all the defects I have missed :D

Area51- I love the Christmas decorations, Did you make and paint all of those? Your yard looks great - especilly with the fresh snow!
I have a plywood snowman I need to finish up. Speaking of Holiday decor - two days ago I drove by a residence and this older than I couple, 🤔 They were placing a bunch of blow molds out by the fence but not as setting up. I turned around and went back - they were putting them out for sale. I went home with the back of the truck full and a big smile on my face. I love those old decorations.

James - That's one of those things you will be glad about when it's over. The "Flowmax" was really funny!

Last edited:
Good morning all,

Another bright, frosty morning in St. Paul.

Had some big drama last night in the apartment building. The woman across the hall was stabbed in the head and the perp. started a fire under a sprinkler as a diversion. My wife and I were the only witnesses (lucky for the cops, we are nosy neighbors). Probably saved the building from thousands in damage as we immediately reported the location of the disturbance and damage in progress. Police and fire trucks everywhere, however in 3 hours they had cleared the scene and they are just cleaning up water damage.

Chadbag - I hope the new assignment goes well. Stressful is right.

Karl - an item I ordered last month was passed through my city and sent (UPS) to Vancouver, where it sat in a warehouse for 2 weeks. When it finally arrived it was badly damaged and had to be returned. Strangely, it only took FedEx 3 days to get it back to Missouri.

Curt- you must be good with solder. I haven't soldered since high school.

Dave in PennValley - I would be tempted to leave the leaves on the ground or replace the Red Maple with a pine.

James - hope the procedure goes well

Mcleod - the Sylvan kits look nice. I always had problems keeping the rear view mirrors on from year to year. I probably handled mine too much.

Willie - I especially like the discussion on the roof.

Another old scene from my stomping ground:

328 Rush City.PNG

more later, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back