Need help constructing a spray booth

Hello,

I want to get into airbrushing so I thought I would build a spray booth from scratch. Who has experience in this area that could give some tips? I am considering using either a used oven hood or bathroom exhaust fan as the exhaust motor. Does anyone have a preference or experience with one being better than the other? Or is there something better to use? I then thought of building a basic box, add some lighting and try to find a way to port the exhaust tubing to the outside. Thoughts and input?...........

Thanks!!

There’s quite a few guys here who’ve done this, if you go to the search at the upper right and type paint booth you can sift thru all the threads.
I’ll be building one soon myself!

Here's just a few quick results I found...

The key part is the fan. If you want to vent flammable vapors (plastic solvents, lacquers, solvent based paints) then a bathroom or kitchen fan is less desirable, because in those fans the motor is in the exhaust air flow. The heat of the fan motor or a spark on the brushes could ignite the exhaust. For those a "squirrel cage" fan is better, they have the fan motor outside the air flow. An alternative is the brushless fan such as those in electronics.

Anther consideration is how much air is moved and where does the exhaust go. Ideally the exhaust should be vented outside. They sell vent gates that can shut off the vent pipe to keep cold air or critters out.

The shell of the vent isn't as critical, my first spray booth hood was metal, my current one is plywood. When I moved I got rid of my old spray booth and had the builder install a vent where my workbench was going to be so I could vent outside. In previous houses where I didn't have that, I had a flexible vent pipe attached to an 8" wide board cut to fit in a window. I would open the window 8", put the board in it and close the window down on the board and, viola, instant outside vent.

My spray booths were always just a cardboard box stuck in window. I just put a hole in the top or bottom and let Bernoulli suck the fumes out or put a computer fan over the hole if it needed it . When done I just took it out of the window and used it to store the airbrush , compressor and paint supplies.

I didn't have room for anything permanent.

opps - I just saw that RICO already posted this!

I know paint booths can bring out many different ideas. I have always vented mine through a controlled vent outside. The venting fan I use is one from a range hood. I haven’t done solvent based paints in years except for spray bombs or cans. The size of the booth is what is comfortable to your modeling and what the vent fan can take away. I had a cardboard booth with the vent fan on the floor of the booth. I have had a metal paint booth made for me by a HVAC contractor as a favor. It was great but seemed IMO to be noisy. Made good money that selling to a guy just because it was a metal booth by a contractor. Finally I have a booth now that is disassembled plywood parts that has been calling my name for months. Just look to you tube for many videos. There is debate about the fans and fumes but better safe then sorry. For filters I always purchased the cheapest furnace filter from HD in the needed size.

TomO

The key part is the fan. If you want to vent flammable vapors (plastic solvents, lacquers, solvent based paints) then a bathroom or kitchen fan is less desirable, because in those fans the motor is in the exhaust air flow. The heat of the fan motor or a spark on the brushes could ignite the exhaust. For those a "squirrel cage" fan is better, they have the fan motor outside the air flow. An alternative is the brushless fan such as those in electronics.

Anther consideration is how much air is moved and where does the exhaust go. Ideally the exhaust should be vented outside. They sell vent gates that can shut off the vent pipe to keep cold air or critters out.

The shell of the vent isn't as critical, my first spray booth hood was metal, my current one is plywood. When I moved I got rid of my old spray booth and had the builder install a vent where my workbench was going to be so I could vent outside. In previous houses where I didn't have that, I had a flexible vent pipe attached to an 8" wide board cut to fit in a window. I would open the window 8", put the board in it and close the window down on the board and, viola, instant outside vent.

Awesome Dave, thanks!!!!!

I know paint booths can bring out many different ideas. I have always vented mine through a controlled vent outside. The venting fan I use is one from a range hood. I haven’t done solvent based paints in years except for spray bombs or cans. The size of the booth is what is comfortable to your modeling and what the vent fan can take away. I had a cardboard booth with the vent fan on the floor of the booth. I have had a metal paint booth made for me by a HVAC contractor as a favor. It was great but seemed IMO to be noisy. Made good money that selling to a guy just because it was a metal booth by a contractor. Finally I have a booth now that is disassembled plywood parts that has been calling my name for months. Just look to you tube for many videos. There is debate about the fans and fumes but better safe then sorry. For filters I always purchased the cheapest furnace filter from HD in the needed size.

TomO

Great, thank you!!!

My spray booths were always just a cardboard box stuck in window. I just put a hole in the top or bottom and let Bernoulli suck the fumes out or put a computer fan over the hole if it needed it . When done I just took it out of the window and used it to store the airbrush , compressor and paint supplies.

I didn't have room for anything permanent.

perfect, thanks!!

Back