Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went on my first business since early February last week. Up to Springfield MA. Traveling sucks at the best of times, even if you do it enough to have the airline & hotel perks, which I do. With the Covid precautions it was a total pain. Most airport services were closed, except in Atlanta. Refreshments on the airplane, even in first class, are minimal (like they weren't already!) Hotel restaurants closed or operating on shortened hours with room service recommended. And I wore a mask for most of three days straight. I hate those darned things, but even after spending that much time in one, I don't get what all the whining is about. If that's what it takes to keep from getting sick, or possibly making someone else sick, then that's what you do. Simple enough. It was a customer service visit so I wasn't around that many people. Meh. We'll get through this.

On the hobby front, the 2-10-4 is nearly complete. I got the motor mount bracket done, and installed the motor. This took several test fits to make sure everything cleared and fit properly, and the chassis could be bolted to the boiler. I did some touch up and detail painting. Installed the decoder and tested it. She runs! See the pics below. I did some side by sides showing the original configuration, and the can motor installed. Note how much further back the can motor sits. Lucky for me that boiler is HUGE! Santa Fe models are nice for beginning brass painters. You can just paint the entire model black if you want. They mostly did away with Tarpan Gray at the end of steam. Even if you want to add it, the smokebox front is the only item you need to spray. The firebox and a few access hatches and fittings are all the gray you need on the boiler and they can be brush painted as these were. These 5000 class 2-10-4's were tremendous. It makes that 2-10-2 look small. I'm looking forward to seeing what she'll pull. Test at the club Thursday!

2-10-4 Motor Mount.JPG
Decoder installed.JPG
Old vs New.JPG

Garry. Sorry to here about your friend Dan. Your in my prayers

TomO. The tree projects are looking good

Hughie. I just might do that Thanks

Sherrel. Nice pic of you it’s amazing how big those Jets are I miss seeing TWA in St. Louis

Before cutting the grass I snuck in some train time. I’ve switched my layout up to the mid 1970s so I can run some Chessie System action. I took some pic what I have so far there be more to come after I get the layout clean up and add more vehicles. I’m getting tired of switching this layout from the 50-60s to the 1970s I think I’m just going to build a new HO modern Layout. I’ll keep you guys updated. I still have to decal the Piggyback Flatcars I painted them about 4 years ago and also still have to put the railing on the Athearn U Boats. Thanks for the complements and likes today.

87D70223-E008-4379-8D31-393BC38D3576.jpeg
5FA64ACB-E56E-49AD-AA80-41A6F22EDA95.jpeg
07C277E3-69AB-4FC0-86FA-FB0D272529B5.jpeg
985EC1E8-96D1-4F17-A204-792DB6E27DDB.jpeg
CECB62EB-EAE9-4EC8-8D79-BBCDDA6E0068.jpeg
08D19856-3B61-4918-9D86-D7241A0E9202.jpeg

Last edited:
Greetings and salutations all
41° this morning in The Fort (aka Ft Wayne IN) - Coffee and a donut... yes, with chocolate frosting. No, no sprinkles, Flo. Do I look like a heathen? Wait, don't answer that.

Wife is off work this week (kinda - she still has some irons in the fire for projects she needs to watch.) So, between writing the last five or so chapters of the current mystery, and fulfilling whatever pops up on her HoneyDo schedule, I don't know how much more I'll get done.

Got the majority of the 2nd layer of foam glued to the fat end. Even remembered to cut the gap for the downslope to the underpass.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 6.25.21 AM.png

There's one tiny flaw in the above... I need four feet to drop an inch...

yep. forgot to cut that gap in the sheet with the curve.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 6.25.34 AM.png

After an hour+ the glue (LockTite for foam in the caulk tubes) was still wet between the sections. Used my snapblade knife, and a putty knife to pry it out. I've still got another 2 inches to drift back if need be, but I wanted to leave some slop in case I need to move grade risers farther along.

Here's a test fit of the 2% downslope. Note that the green pieces for the 2nd layer in the background are NOT glued yet. They're merely placeholders so I could test fit the declines

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 6.37.42 AM.png

Here she is guys. I finished last night around 10:15 and didn't feel like fiddling with photos. I'll probably post a better one later. Gloss Black is a bit of a stinker unless your lighting is really good and in the early morning it isn't here in my office. The other problem is this model is just really big. It measures 17 1/4 inches from the tip of the pilot to the rear tender beam. That's longer than an AB set of F's. I may take this, the 2-10-2, a 4-8-4 and the little 2-8-0 down to the club for a group photo and some comparison shots later this week. That should be interesting!

2-10-4 5029.JPG

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 61° this morning. Another week, another tropical storm approaching the Texas Gulf Coast. The trajectory this time will most likely send some rain this far north. Not a lot, but maybe an inch over the next two days. The coast is about 350 miles south of me, so it may not get this far at all depending on how far inland the storm comes before heading east to Louisiana. Meanwhile the coastal areas are already flooding.
Busy day yesterday with laundry, dishwasher and that damn trip to retrieve more dry ice. I'll be very glad when the new freezer arrives tomorrow. By the time I returned, the dew had dried and I mowed for an hour. After a shower and nap, we got a call from an old buddy from high school who I have known for 55 years, he was also the best man at my wedding. He and his wife are going stir-crazy from the Covid isolation in Dallas and wanted to take a road trip up to see us and get away from it all. We spent several hours with them which culminated in us going out to dinner at my favorite Italian BYOB restaurant. Needless to say, they're still in the guest bedroom right now, rather than driving home last night.

I'm ready for a tall stack of blueberry pancakes and a big pile of sausage this morning Flo. Send some complimentary doughnuts over to Troy, Jerry and Lee. Too bad that Tom left so soon, or he could have had some also.

Thanks guys for all of the likes and comments regarding my progress photos yesterday; Lee, Karl, Sherrel, Garry, Jerry, Ken, Chad, Guy, Tom O, Chet, Phil, Jerome, Tom, Justin.

Due to our visitors to the SFW estate yesterday, the only time I spent in the train shed was showing stuff off. OK though, as I only ran trains once in the last week. While I didn't get any switching done, I ran about a half dozen trains including a couple of continuous runs on the upper level. Ray hadn't seen the layout since the upper level was completed.
Since I have no current pictures, maybe I will post some random shots.
Here's a picture one of my GP60B units
ATSF 347.JPG

And a shot of the real thing. Not taken by me.
pictures_54290_ATSF-347_BendOR_26Dec98.jpg

Some day I will attempt locomotive weathering after I get more scenery done.
Here's a Blue Box model of a GP60M. Needs detailing.
ATSF 123.JPG

And the real thing, temporarily out of service.
pictures_58787_atsf 123 2010-08-13.JPG

Garry - Condolences on the death of your friend Dan.
Troy - You're making excellent progress on the layout, looking good. Congratulations (belated) on the awards for the news photo.
Sherrel - I'm looking for Daisy myself.
I only got to ride on a 747 twice in my life. Lufthansa flights to and from Europe in '84. Sure was a neat plane.
Jerry - Thanks for the suggestion on the red tape; I already have some 1/16" and 1/8" red chart tape. But I have already determined that while the stripes look neat, they aren't necessary for the overall look. Right now I am going with solid white, but since I haven't assembled it yet, I am also toying with the idea of a red and white one at each end.
Hughie - Unitrack or not, good trackwork to begin with means the most enjoyment.
Tom O - A couple of pieces of fried chicken once a month or so, ain't all that bad unless there are underlying medical issues. I wish that I could make trees as rapidly as you do, or as good looking as yours, but tree making is my second least favorite part of this hobby after soldering.
Guy - Even though you hate it, you did a nice job on that Atlas market.
Chad - I could never play music on any instrument. But I can listen. As an amateur rock & roll historian, I have over 2500 contributions to Wikipedia,
along with over 60,000 mp3's in my collection. The reason for my hearing aids is primarily due to loud music during the 60's -80's.
Alan - I have always hated airline travel. It doesn't scare me or anything, I just hate it.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning all. Cool 42 degrees in the Ozark Foothills Flo Coffee and Raisin Toast

Troy. I think I will see track on you layout be fore I see snow great progress

Sherrel. Thanks for the complement. You think he will there kinda no thrills I’ve have those for years. TWA was great for St. Louis it’s ashamed they did what they did to them selves.

Alan. Nice job on the Steamer

Yesterday I had a little train time took some pics and got things organized. Here’s a video I make of Chessie U Boats. Enjoy joy your day and I’ll check in later

Good morning gang!

It's Monday, 2nd cup of coffee is down, starting on the Mountain Dew next. Willie, the pancakes and sausage sound sooooo good!

Alan, that steamer is gorgeous! If you get bored, I've got a few brass steamers that could use a good mechanic!

Yesterday was the boys 17th birthday. Of all the kids he's the most serious of the kids, but with a biting sarcastic wit. Due to the covid thing, everyone in the family sent his mom happy birthday videos, these were compiled into a video with pictures of him growing up between the videos. After a few minutes we saw his eyes starting to leak with a big smile too. Big hugs for me and his mom proved Mr. Serious has a soft gooey center!

I did put a bunch of stuff on Fleabay yesterday too. forum link
L8ter gang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back