Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all. Just dropped in before going out to mow. Breakfast tacos please.
My first full time job after high school was with Lafayette Shipping, a customs brokerage. June 1964 I left Lafayette for the Coast Guard, while Lafayette was in talks for a lease in Tower One in the World Trade Center. They were still located there 9/11/01.
A couple of emotional links.

STAY SAFE

Yes. but, do they share?
I've been watching and photographing the local rail traffic for nearly a year now, and that's the first identifiable CP car I've seen in the hoard. Seen lots of lease cars and lots of CN, but, no CP until this one showed up. CP is through Calgary, and CN runs through Edmonton.
I'm not sure that CP knows they have a car missing; then again, I don't know a whole lot about it.

McLeod: I honestly never paid much attention to the make-up of either lines freights. Yesterday, I saw a CP friegth in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin and it was a very long container unit train like most trains are today.

Greg

Good morning. On 9/11 I was installing a computer at a clients office when one of the ladies in the bullpen started screaming another plane! Oh, what a terrible day. Like JFK’s death and the 1st shuttle destruction, days I will never forget where I was and what I was doing.
45AD9313-BA16-49A0-96FE-468CEF36F885.jpeg

Trees, yes I am on a roll. Over 300 wire armatures made and formed into trees trunks with branches. I have 1 roll each of 26 and 22 gauge wire left but I will hang on to them. 2 coats of rubber mold compound is applied and this morning I started slopping on a gray mix for the branch structure. I use cheap acrylics from Michael’s a heavy gray to a touch of black mix. I used to use artist acrylics but haven’t noticed a huge difference so now it’s the cheapest I can find.
DEE3932D-BFA2-4465-BAB0-CCA4AE034ABF.jpeg

I leave the trunks unpainted when I slop on the Branch paint. I then come back when the branches are dry and paint the trunks with a mix of ballast fines (the dust) into a grey/tan/black mix and stipple it when applying. Not quick but I'm in no hurry. The foreground trees will get a second branch mix spray painted on. Depending on how I feel after dinner I will apply the Hobby Tack glue to the branch structures. Then tomorrow, I will cut up the poly fiber sheets after really thinning them out. I am still on schedule for finishing a couple hundred trees for Sunday night. The balance of the trees will be stored without the HobbyTack applied. TomO

Good morning. It's cloudy and 70.
Where were you and what were you doing 19 years ago today? I was driving a rental truck loaded with our possessions to a new location, to help a new company I had helped found restore vintage warplanes.
I was driving to work, listening to a Talk Radio discussion, when suddenly the broadcast was interrupted by some newscaster saying a plane had crashed into the WTC. I knew accidents of this type happen all the time, so I waited for the show to resume - but the two on-scene reporters just kept talking about it, so I turned the radio off. When I walked into the office, the receptionist was freaking out because she had a sister who lived in NYC who called and told her that a second plane had crashed into the other tower...oh crap, this was more serious than I thought! When I got to my office, I tried to visit foxnews.com but the connection timed-out. Then I went down the hall and saw a bunch of people in the conference room watching the horror unfold on a big-screen TV. The first tower had already collapsed. A minute later somebody came running in and said the Pentagon had been hit.

I try not to dwell on this memory for too long, because it causes me to feel bitterness toward the perpetrators...

Last edited:
Good afternoon Shop Dwellers! 74*F and overcast here in central MD.

Sherrell - the grille on the side of the long hood of the B&O locos in the photo that Joe shared, tells me it is a GP-7 - with the air reservoirs mounted on the roof instead of under the frame - similar to the FRISCO GP35's ;). Can't remember if the extra space was taken up by an extended fuel tank, or a water tank for the steam generator[?].

We are leaving in 5 minutes for a weekend trip to the ocean - Fenwick Island, DE - away from the noise and crowds of Ocean City to the south of us. So I'll have to post-and-run now. Have a great weekend y'all!

My aunt & uncle’s down the hall neighbor “picked” the right day to be late to work. He was just coming up the steps from the subway when Flight 11 struck the North Tower. They live in the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Christopher Reeves lived in their neighborhood. They used to see him & his wife Dana while walking the dogs. My uncle is a retired actor. Mostly stage but also a SAG member.

Afternoon All,

Today I did a little pool maintenance then headed up to the train room. I put down 12' of mainline and soldered everything together, adding the track feeders but did not connect them under the layout (tomorrow). Finally, I tested with a F3 without issue. The reason I put in track before the background work is that since the track is on a WS incline I run the feeder wires behind the riser so it has to be completed first.

On 9-11 I was working in Orlando and had just dropped off a patient in the ER and was walking through the waiting room and the first plane had just hit the tower. My partner and I listened to to radio and after the other 3 incidents I remember turning to my partner and saying "We're at war now".

TomO- Nice trees.

Joe- Nice B&O picture. I feel this will be much more coherent than the last layout with all the patching. I hope the diagnosis is nothing serious.

Willie- That's going to be a nice building.

Garry- Great photos.

Guy- Also great photos. Is that a fire extinguisher on the front of the CN loco or a remote control device?

Alan- Very nice looking 2-10-2.

Justin- Nice looking hoppers and posters.

George- Nice job on the bookcase.

Troy- Always good to have reference material for our modeling.

20200911_142242.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 70.
Where were you and what were you doing 19 years ago today? I was driving a rental truck loaded with our possessions to a new location, to help a new company I had helped found restore vintage warplanes.
I was working my air brake job in a in a railroad back shop when my wife texted me from her work that the USA was under attack. After finding someone who had a radio I learned what happened. I still remember my upper management person telling groups of employees to get back to work.

Good afternoon Shop Dwellers! 74*F and overcast here in central MD.

Sherrell - the grille on the side of the long hood of the B&O locos in the photo that Joe shared, tells me it is a GP-7 - with the air reservoirs mounted on the roof instead of under the frame - similar to the FRISCO GP35's ;). Can't remember if the extra space was taken up by an extended fuel tank, or a water tank for the steam generator[?].

We are leaving in 5 minutes for a weekend trip to the ocean - Fenwick Island, DE - away from the noise and crowds of Ocean City to the south of us. So I'll have to post-and-run now. Have a great weekend y'all!
MBH & I spent the first night of our honeymoon in OCMD. It was late September, so we were able to get a great rate for a Thursday. We had an ocean view & a porch. It was a stormy night, so we walked the beach in the am & saw a gorgeous sunrise. Low cloud cover on the horizon, so we got to see the sun come up from behind the cloud bank.
2A102468-7D75-413F-914C-F9ED1460D046.jpeg
5AEF1EB0-1061-4505-B85A-1BBB54B9FA79.jpeg
509FAA26-EC76-41E0-BD36-7F50AE7454ED.jpeg

There was a water tank under the frame where the air tanks would normally go, so they were moved to the roof.

Hmmmm... who mentioned plumbing problems...

Light fixtures aren't supposed to drip water are they? Came up from the basement to find a puddle on the table in the breakfast nook under the light. Yep, it's wet, and right in line with the main drain line from the bathroom above.

About a month ago, I noticed a dark spot on the ceiling below the toilet. Yep. previous owners had tiled the bath, and didn't raise the flange to level with the floor. So, I pulled the toilet, and added a spacer. But now the flange sits a little too high, and I had to shim the toilet.

But, today, when the light started dripping, I began dreading the thought of ripping open the ceiling.

After a call to a plumber friend, we've devised a means of attack:
Light has been removed (and mess cleaned up).
Going to use sink and shower as normal. AVOID THAT TOILET
IF we spot more drips, then we need to cut into the ceiling. (Hoping not).
IF, there is no other drips, I didn't do a good job on the flange replacement.

HUH? I'm supposed to let the caulk cure? - yep, we had that discussion, so that's why the toilet is the main suspect.

He does look rather shady...
5B2EFCC6-C2C1-483A-B05A-5381E1799D38.JPG

Good evening gents.

Evening, no post for the last 4 hours. Either everyone is in bed or out partying...... I'll put my money on in bed.😇

Got home around 6:30, dead tired and laid down for a little nap, now 11:30 and I'm awake. These 12 hour workdays are really messing with me, and they will continue until the 23rd. :confused: Thankfully I have the weekend off! Of course that brings with it housecleaning, lawn work, and painting the wood trim around the front door and the garage doors. I l also want to sneak in a little time with the air brush and the new air eraser. Plus fixing the HVAC in my old truck so the stepson can start using it. (16 years old and almost finished drivers ed)

September 11th, I was working at a different dealership. Shortly after the 1st plane hit all work came to a stop as the waiting room TV and the shop radios started broadcasting the news. Soon customers, mechanics, body men, salesmen and department heads were all standing together in the lounge watching the TV. Customer s returned in droves to pick up cars that had not been serviced, or waited until we could get them roadworthy then the shop became a ghost town. By mid-afternoon, everyone had left. Working near BWI airport had grown accustomed to jet airliners overhead at work nearby. The silence was eerie. I lived at the time near a small municipal airport . Mostly small private planes, and the occasional Learjet. That evening I witnessed a pair of F16s landing, and they stayed for a few weeks afterward. I imagine our proximity to D.C. , Camp David, and Baltimore was the reason why.

Good Morning all. It’s finally here the weekend! Flo Biscuits and Gravy. Today I marked a milestone in my life I know it may not be much to some but it is to me. I’m Celebrating 30yrs in the Trucking industry. I’m the 4th generation to drive a truck in my family It’s been fun for me and still is some days but 2 years ago I had to give up running the road and I’m limited to a 8 hour day due to my Arthritis so I’m a city driver now and I enjoy it as well. I’m just thankful I can still drive a truck. I’ve been in the Intermodal Trucking for 23 years now with the same company. The early years I drove over the road and was in dump trucking. I bought my first truck when I was 26 years old a 1979 International Cabover Transtar II later I bought another truck this time for dad and I to restore it was a 1976 Autocar sadly he only went to one Truck Show with me before he passed away. Chet when you post pics around your house and I see the Mountains in the background I really miss running out west. Thanks for letting me pull your ear for a minute. Now let’s get down to business

Willie. Those kits are nice hope they don’t give you much trouble

Alan. That Steamer turned out very nice.

Joe. Nice pic again

Justin. I like those signs and Chessie is one of my favorites

Garry Beautiful pics as always I can’t get over how the layout has so much depth in the background

Curt. Thanks for the update pics your getting closer each day maybe we’ll see some ground cover before long.

Sorry no bench work last night had a rough day and turned in early. Here’s some pics of my old Autocar show truck and a couple of the trucks I drive now. The set back axle Mack getting a container mount on it was my first New truck in 2015 for this Company the set forward Mack is my current truck a 2016 my boss bought both trucks new before then he always bought used trucks.

7A5251F0-0C11-408C-9448-073606CBB615.jpeg
31190811-60A5-4878-927D-94943B90FBEB.jpeg
A7D8BC13-AF1C-40C9-9DD2-C6F680B1D8C7.jpeg
C6B7D2BB-90F2-4919-8696-D9398C20CA3D.jpeg
62DD34F6-40E4-49AA-8625-61079F34DB68.jpeg
2C1235F7-0DFF-405D-8E8A-8E231AB84C2C.jpeg
9890568A-F877-4B7C-8E1C-28812CC29BE5.jpeg
0FBBC9EF-3FD1-4E63-8695-312FB5BBB1A7.jpeg
A5A217B4-98FA-4266-98A4-12BE9B2953E6.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning. It's cloudy and 72.
I just filed a refund claim with Ebay for the missing keyboard. It's still MIA, and repeated messages to the seller have gone unanswered.
I'll probably do the same for the cover on Monday, though that seller did respond, and say they would find out what was going on with USPS.

Not to be outdone, Amazon is currently trying to emulate Ebay.
I had to order a new wireless network chip for my computer, $18 from Amazon, with free two-day shipping. I ordered that last Saturday. Amazon sent it out Monday, using their own delivery service. It should have arrived Wednesday.
They sent it to Michigan.
On Wednesday, they gave it to UPS overnight.
On Thursday morning, it arrived in Winston Salem for afternoon delivery, only a day late.
Then UPS sent it to Charlotte, 100 miles away.
On Friday, they sent it back to Winston Salem.
UPS thinks it will be here Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back