Ricky Sepe

Hello,
I have Bachmann HO B units, GP38-2s, and an S4. They have been running for about 2 weeks and now they are not working. I oiled the motors but some of them still do not work, just the lights turn on. What can I do? Thank you.
Ricky

Are they digitally controlled (do they have decoders aboard), or are they DC? Do you have a multimeter? Dial up speed/voltage and check track voltage. Make sure you use the AC mode if it's DCC, and use the 20v range.

If they have decoders, try resetting one of the locomotives (CV8 set to "08").

Are they digitally controlled (do they have decoders aboard), or are they DC? Do you have a multimeter? Dial up speed/voltage and check track voltage. Make sure you use the AC mode if it's DCC, and use the 20v range.

If they have decoders, try resetting one of the locomotives (CV8 set to "08").
They are DC. Thanks for the tips.

Power pak type ? check the track voltage make sure its about 12 Volts full throttle .

Are none of them running ?

How old are these ? new ? 40 years old ?

As GeeTee said, check the power pak.
Make sure the track in clean as well and there are no deal spots.. Sometimes there's enough voltage coming through to power the lights and not the motor.

After some thought , It sounds like the issue may be with the pack . The diodes may be blown and you may have AC on the track , You need a multimeter set to DC to confirm. The other way to check the locos is stick a 9V battery across the wheels.

If you bought them new you have a year warrantee if you've sent in the card...But it sounds more like you have mismatched DC with DCC or AC and may have damaged one or the other, which would not be Bachmann's fault...

Back