Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1596929710513.png

Happy Saturday all! I went to the club Thursday night and tested what I have completed of the Overland so far. Needs work! Those Athearn coaches all need the McHenry's replaced, and I need to finish the 3/4 dome, and the diner and the coffee shop car, the 10-6 looks good though if I do say so myself! Not as much work (or money!) is going onto this train, as I already had most of the cars, and most of them were painted. This is it so far:

Alan,that Overland looks Awesome. When you get it finished,going to look even cooler. I did not know that giant Santa Fe Brass was one of Thorington"s, he must had wide radius to run that beast. My guess of 30-32 inch radius,was generous to say the least. 36 to 40 inch radius,Wow,a curve straightner indeed. William.

Good evening. Last time I was here, was last Tuesday, 8/4 @ 10:36 PM. I was delighted that our power was back in such short a time frame. Two hours later, something blew, and we were without power until 3:50 PM today, (Saturday), which made the consecutive time without power greater than Sub Tropical Storm SANDY, back in 2012.

Learned a lot without electricity, mainly, that we didn't miss TV, that Radio still worked, that I really should go out and buy a generator, and that keeping a lot of frozen food around doesn't pay. I imagine with a couple of 90° days coming up, by trash day on Tuesday, the garbage is going to smell pretty bad. 🤢 I also learned that the phone is not a substitute for my computer...and that I really should go out and buy a new battery for my lap top. otherwise, life went on, and we still did what we needed to do. I also found out that my old railroad hand lanterns still work, and are very useful in power failures. All I need is to replace the 6v batteries.

This is two Tropical Storms that we have been almost directly hit with this summer alone. This one was more destructive because of cyclonic winds, while the first was mostly heavy rain. This one, rainfall was 0.30". We actually had more rain yesterday, from an unforecasted rain storm.

Enough on Jersey weather, it's good to be back.

CNJ # 8400 in Jersey City mid 1960s.jpg

CNJ SW1 # 8400 works the jersey City car floats, with the then still uncompleted Twin Towers in the background.
CNJ Tug Sound Shore in JC Mid 1960s.jpg

Photo of the CNJ Tug "Sound Shore" with the incomplete Twin Towers and other WTC buildings in the background.

Good Morning All. Absolutely clear and 77°.
08-09-20 004.JPG

Still not getting as warm as the forecast high of 99°, only managing 95° yesterday. No rain in sight.

BLT for me today Flo, double the bacon.

Thanks once again for the reactions and comments regarding the service station (and back porch step) pictures yesterday; Tom O, Jerome, Guy, Phil, Sherrel, Hughie, Chet, Curt, Justin, Louis, Rick, Tom.

I finally got around to the benchwork yesterday.
08-09-20 001.JPG

08-09-20 003.JPG

I still need one additional under layout brace to fully complete it, but I didn't feel like bending underneath the layout any more yesterday. I am pretty sure that this is going to be the final track layout here, so next I will attach some feeders and begin fastening track down.
I was hoping to have the bridge plates on the nearest unloading ramp in the "down" position, while all of the others are "up". But then one of Walther's quirks hit me.
08-09-20 002.JPG

The one supplied with the kit is too short! :mad: I'll have to fabricate another one from some .020" sheet styrene. The one on the flatcar itself is just barely long enough. I might later experiment with a short-shank coupler on this end of the car if it doesn't interfere with tracking on the rails.

Guy - Market is coming along nicely.
Tom O - Yes, the property around Hornsby is going to skyrocket in value very soon. Wimberley is a nice area, just on the inner edge of the Hill Country. Can't blame your son for contemplating a move.
Sherrel - Belated Happy Birthday wishes for Kate. Thanks for the update on her health.
Later folks. I seee LOUIS found the missing "post it" button! LOL
Looks like he hit it with his "repeater" arm!
Curt -
Willie- Very nice. Can you use Bar Mills fencing?
The Bar Mills fencing does not match the Walther's fencing very well. I am already considering using it as an alternative since I have a bit over 75" of it ready to make. I'll re-purpose the Walther's fence to separate the tenements on the other side of the scene from the main line. There should be a sufficient amount for that.
Joe - That's too bad about the freezer full of food.
Terry -
Good morning. It's 72 with magnitude 2.6 earthquakes.
That one hit close by, didn't it?

Forty six years ago today, Gerald Ford became the first and only President who was neither elected to that post or to the Vice President's post.
Everybody have a great day. Come by this evening, as I am putting baby back ribs in the smoker later. Still have plenty of beer left in the fridge.

Alan,that Overland looks Awesome. When you get it finished,going to look even cooler. I did not know that giant Santa Fe Brass was one of Thorington"s, he must had wide radius to run that beast. My guess of 30-32 inch radius,was generous to say the least. 36 to 40 inch radius,Wow,a curve straightner indeed. William.
Glad you like it. Yes, Jim Thorington's layout was awesome. I saw it a few times, but only after he had started taking it down, so I never saw anything run. That was a shame because he had a straight section of track that was a scale mile long; His scenery and structures were as good as Gibson's , probably better in some cases. He had a bridge and a mine that were just about the finest I've ever seen. He's a very private person, and I think we (the Birmingham area modeling community) lost out some by not being able to see that layout more often. I took a few photos the last time I was there. Not enough to do it justice, but I'll share the better ones. Enjoy:

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

Good morning from still nice at 78f degrees with the high. In my So. Central part of Wisconsin to hit 95 real and 105 heat index. Humidity is also increasing and because we have been so spoiled the last 4 days it will feel worst.

The son has been in the Austin area 11 years now. His first house was in the Westlake area of Austin and was a fixer upper, it became a money pit. Put up for sale and 2 days later cash offer for 25% more then list. He made 9 offers on houses on the east side of I35 in Austin and lost them to crazy high offers or cash. Finally 5 years ago found the place he is in at Hornsby Bend another fixer upper and offered cash and more then list. That is one crazy real estate market and the realtors skirts the ethic rules IMO. He has a friend with a 600 acre portion of his ranch he wants to divide in 2. Wimberly is nice and Brian doesn’t feel the need any longer at 35 for the daily night life of Austin, finally the baby of the house is growing up. His interest is drones but loves to see what has been accomplished on the layout when he pops up to Wisconsin. If it wasn’t for the constant humidity we would spend 1/2 the year there instead of the 6 weeks we visit now.

Still not feeling even 90% but better then what I have been. Other then vacations this might be the longest time away from the train room. I told Terry I have to clean up in there today so when the heat hits around noon I will be there. I am posting a picture from Solitude Sunday 8/2/2020 that I posted last week on one of the FB Shelf Layout forums. Enjoy your day. TomO
18ABC072-017A-4171-B8A8-82C39023F333.jpeg

Good Morning, Everyone!
At 50F when I awoke, it seems a bit of a cool one this morning. Supposed to warm up good by the afternoon, though. Right now, it looks cloudless in the sunshine, no wind at all. I'm hearing that is going to change
Willie - Nice sunrise; you were up earlier than me on this fine Sunday. The benchwork is looking good, and I'm looking forward to see what you come up with for a better rendition of the bridge plates.
Alan - That Thorington layout is purely beautiful. I believe I'll save those photos in a file.
TomO - A very nice scene with the log grapple. I like the realistic ground cover.

Thanks for the likes on my overly repetitive Atlas building posts. To avoid the risk of frustrating you, I think I'll wait until it's done before I post it again. I think you've seen the jist of it. No progress will be happening over the next days, as today is busy, and tomorrow we are taking the G-kids to the relatively local corn maze. Tomorrow will be a good family day.

An 1887 sketch by artist Melton Prior, made on the CP coach he was travelling on from eastern Canada to Calgary. I thought this perspective of life on the inside of a passenger coach was rather interesting:
Colonist1887.JPG

Have a great day, everyone.

Good Morning, Everyone!
At 50F when I awoke, it seems a bit of a cool one this morning. Supposed to warm up good by the afternoon, though. Right now, it looks cloudless in the sunshine, no wind at all. I'm hearing that is going to change
Willie - Nice sunrise; you were up earlier than me on this fine Sunday. The benchwork is looking good, and I'm looking forward to see what you come up with for a better rendition of the bridge plates.
Alan - That Thorington layout is purely beautiful. I believe I'll save those photos in a file.
TomO - A very nice scene with the log grapple. I like the realistic ground cover.

Thanks for the likes on my overly repetitive Atlas building posts. To avoid the risk of frustrating you, I think I'll wait until it's done before I post it again. I think you've seen the jist of it. No progress will be happening over the next days, as today is busy, and tomorrow we are taking the G-kids to the relatively local corn maze. Tomorrow will be a good family day.

An 1887 sketch by artist Melton Prior, made on the CP coach he was travelling on from eastern Canada to Calgary. I thought this perspective of life on the inside of a passenger coach was rather interesting:
View attachment 115990

Have a great day, everyone.

I for one enjoy pictures of anything for the layout and especially like build pictures. You never know when new ideas, rekindled old ideas or a technique sparks our light bulbs. Keep posting the build!

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back