Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from much cooled down So. Central Wisconsin. The rain came through yesterday with enthusiasm, my rain gauges say 4.6” from 3 to midnight. Local TV says Madison officially at the airport 12 miles north of us got just under 3. It has cooled down temperature wise, high today may get to 84, but the winds are up, the humidity is +90% and it is a gloomy overcast. Sun returns tomorrow per IPad weather! Have a great day.

Picture: still waiting on my 3 GP38-2’s to get here. I am now a free lance rail line and this is what the locomotives will look like. 2 get stripped and painted for the WRVT RR and the other will get new markings but still in UP color.

1659558B-C546-4D78-9503-CD023AB81886.jpeg

Currently running 2 GP40-2w in CN colors.

2FE9A729-9C80-46B9-93BC-CDFB97C88781.jpeg

Happy Thursday....expecting some Coastal Carolina type weather here tomorrow into Saturday. We can use some rain, but all at once?

Received word today, that First Son, has been awarded the Bronze Star, during his current deployment to Afghanistan.

Ventured out to the grocery store this morning, and got to push around the shopping cart. No problems. Longest time on my feet

Willie: Like the fence. Guy: wow Alberta without snow. Nice yard. Louis and Terry: I can pass it rather well also....especially when they gave me the prune juice, in the hospital...wow!

Might do a decoder in an Atlas Alco RS3 later today. Also have some home therapy exercises. Busy schedule.:rolleyes:

View attachment 115127
Delmore Avenue in Morrisville, PA, across the river from the state Capitol in Trenton. Crew is shoving up the "Old Line" to CP MA past the Dairy Queen on 07-02-2020. So much for social distancing.
I would like to extend my gratitude and congratulations for your sons Bronze Star award. We have to appreciate those who serve in the military.

Good afternoon. Been busy as usual. Had the normal lunch on Tuesday and ran a few errands in town which I hate. Not the errands, but going to town. Wednesday I spent down at the Hot Springs getting some exercise and yesterday beat the crap out of myself mowing the yard. Paying the price today.

AntrakCr74108 - Congrats to your son on that award. They don't just give them away. Appreciate his service.

Garry - Excellent photo as usual. That new addition sure adds a lot of interest.

TomO - Really like the light weathering on the GP-40

Joe - Like the photo of the knee. Artistic. Hope it's getting better.

Louis
- Like the GG-1's running together, The lead unit is my favorite.

Willie - Like your town photos. The fence at the station is a winner.

Greg
- I have had one of the Walthers SW units for years. It wasn't expensive at all and NOT DCC ready. Great pulling little unit for its size and a smooth runner.

Misc trains 005.JPG

Going to get a few things ready for tomorrow night at the club. It sure is nice to get over there and run trains.

Later

Good evening gang!
I've been AWOL for the last 10 days or so. The takeover by the new company at work has, in the words of the new owner, a cluster*#^@. But, at lunch today, he wanted to apologise to our team for it being so. His team fumbled the ball, not us. I almost fell over. Life is starting to return to normal.

Speaking of life, #2 son and his girlfriend eloped Tuesday, so now I have a new daughter-in-law!

I see you all have been busy posting model pics, and Louis is still doing that "thing" with that button. See! Life goes on!

Cameracontents 32010 062.jpg

The working girls are applying a full court press on a potential new customer outside a trackside watering hole.

Walkinonsunshine.jpg

Midland units breaking out of the trees and into the sun on a friends FCSME module.

Lots to catch up on,,,, see yas!

ummmm ok.......

Afternoon All,

Started out running errands that took much longer than expected. In the train room I tested and installed the power supply that a buddy gave me (brand new) for powering the accessory buss (i.e. lighting). After that I ran the first wire for that buss and should finish the buss tomorrow. I was looking at the box of spooled wire I bought months ago to get the reverse loop wire ready to go and discovered that I had ordered 20 ga instead of 14 ga like I wanted to, so I just ordered that. Of course it will be between 1 and 2 weeks to get here. I guess that means the loconet is next up on the agenda. Starting Friday there will probably be no train room time until Tuesday based on family commitments I've been committed to...if you get my drift. :rolleyes:

Thank you all for the likes on my work yesterday.

Dave- Nice acquisition of the 4 Adlake lanterns.

Patrick- I understood immediately the reference although I haven't seen the movie since it came out.

Toot- Nice compilation of a MRL job.

Willie- I really like the background flats. They give a real sense of depth to the scene.

TomO- Very nice scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: I'm curious to know if you designed a new track plsn or going to rebuilding your plan ?

Either way I'm sure it will turn out great !

ummmm ok.......

Looks like he put a lot of work into it. I see aftermarket handrails and a fair amount of detail parts added. If it were me I'd have written a much more detailed description of the modifications I made to justify the price tag, such as what detail parts were added, does the beacon work, is the chassis an old BB or a more modern RTR with the better motor? He may get that price if someone wants that model. The funny part is that based on the hours he probably has into it the price isn't out of line. As a custom painter, pretty much every job I ever did would have shown a loss (or at least a very thin profit margin) if I factored man hours of labor into it and a reasonable rate, and I wasn't cheap. I remember buying a $30-40.00 BB diesel, adding $75.00 worth of detail parts, custom painting, upgrading motors and wheels (NWSL nickle plated or blackened Jay Bee instead of the old sintered iron sets), shaving off grabs and drilling for wire details, adding DCC and light packages. In the end you probably had that much in time and materials into a model. Now we just pay for all that work up front and save a bunch of time! Oh and before the BB devotees get all upset, there's nothing wrong with doing it the old fashioned way if that's what you enjoy, but it is nice to have the choice, isn't it? ;)

I have only been able to check the posts lightly this last week.
My younger brother had a stroke last week and since he lives alone. I have been visiting him in the hospital in downtown Birmingham.
I have also been trying to check his mail and clean up his mobile home some in this 90 degree heat and Alabama humidity. I am no longer able to work outside very long. His home and the hospital are about 25 miles from me, in opposite directions.
He was moved to a rehab facility a couple days ago and seems to be responding well.. He will come stay with us after being released.

McWane Science Center reopened this week to the public with many limitations. A few club members will meet in the club room today with masks and social distancing. We need to continue construction on the On30 swamp logging layout.
I really appreciation all the pictures being posted of trains, layouts, vegetables, sports and family members.
Have a good day and God Bless.

Good morning from the deck in So. Central Wisconsin where it will be mid 80’s. Just had my breakfast and pills. Not sure what today is going to be, no real plans. We do have the grandkids right now as the parents needed grocery shopping in peace. Have a great day.

TomO

the morning run to the Ethanol plant if slowly going through the Paper Mill complex. This is were my efforts be for the next months. Need to finally complete this side of the mill. So much to do, I love it
8480DD4A-1902-477F-ADA5-7E0AA79DA605.jpeg

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone. Clear, sunny and 76° to walk by this morning. I am a bit late this morning as the pool felt too good after walking and I had an extended visit in it. Thunderstorm teased us yesterday afternoon, but stayed 35 miles away in Oklahoma. North wind outflow and clouds from the storm kept yesterday's temperature below 92°. Lots of outdoor tasks yesterday. I almost got all of last weekend's grass clippings removed to the compost/mulch pile. Filled the 1.3 yard garden cart 6 times. A little more left but it's all raked into piles. Just to provide continued exercise, I mowed and raked the south part of the yard before I tackle the much bigger east side today, now that the hayrows are out of the way. I also took advantage of "no wind" to mow around the pool without debris blowing into it. I like our pool, I used it four different times yesterday; after walking, after mowing, after raking, and to relax just prior to supper (after running some trains). Today's chores include another batch of spaghetti sauce.
Tomato picking output dropped to just 18 tomatoes yesterday, the beginning to the end for now. Cannot decide whether I am going to carry the plants over to the fall for additional production. I'll have to provide weekly irrigation if I do. Grasshoppers do not normally eat tomato plants as they are toxic, and by fall they have quit eating and just mate. This has been a moderately bad year for hoppers. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst, this year rates a 7.5; compared to the last four years of <4. On the other hand, 2015 was a 9.5!:mad:

Sausage, biscuits and gravy this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday: Garry, Sherrel, Mopac, Tom O, Patrick, Guy, Jerome, Tom, Chet, Phil.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I vacuumed to railroad ROW through the quarterly cleanup project section. Mainly picked up loose ballast and minute cobwebs, there was a ladybug carcass in there also but no parts that I might have missed. Thus the tour begins.
We start off to the south of the antiques shop where I left off in April, a highway overpass serves as a scenic divider between the outskirts of Graham and the city of Ft Wish. None of the upcoming scenes from Ft Wish are fully completed. The whole area is on a peninsula beneath another cantilevered peninsula and is not easy to work on; so I do it in small sections at a time. Hindsight being what it is!!!:(
07-10-20 003.JPG

Just to the south of it is going to be an "urban creek".
07-10-20 005.JPG

Still working on those embankments. I had misplaced my stash of cut stone walls and stopped trimming them. I have since found them but haven't resumed any construction here.
On the bank is Stone Bakery, a discontinued DPM (or maybe Woodland Scenics) kit. Here is a rear view.
07-10-20 006.JPG

Garbage truck is an ancient Magnuson Models resin kit. Some of the figures came from Woodland Scenics, ole lady Stone is a Preiser figure that I painted
I thought that I took a picture of the front, but I don't see it.
Here's the backside of the street (bakery on the right). Last year I posted when I built, detailed or rehabbed all of these structures.
07-10-20 007.JPG

They are a motley assortment of DPM, ConCor, Walther's, Smalltown and IHC kits.
Another view with Walther's Ashmore Hotel and other structures across the road.
07-10-20 008.JPG

This repeat picture with the Tidy-Track wand in it shows an end view of the peninsula.
07-10-20 023.JPG

Note the vacant spot just to the left of the Auto Parts store; I'll get back to that later.

Greg - The jury's still out on whether or not I ever add exterior lighting to any structures. Buildings are not attached to the benchwork and most roofs are removable, so doing so would not be too much trouble. I am already reconsidering why I have interior lighting in so many, when I do not run trains in the darkness. We'll see though, I may get done with everything else and need a new project!;)
Regarding your question about travel time: it normally takes about 8:30 to travel the 165' on either level at a scale 20 mph.
Good to read that the SD40 gave you no trouble. Keep the fingers crossed.
Tom O - Sure is a nice paint scheme on the WRVT loco.

To those who care, today is 7-11 Day. Free Slurpees for those needing a sugar fix, if they haven't cancelled that this year. I don't believe that I have had one since the early 60's when they were still called Icee's.
Gotta go now and mix up a marinade for the skirt steak that I am grilling for fajitas tonight. Pico de gallo will be made with homegrown jalapenos, onion, cilantro and tomatoes. Kroger is supplying the limes and salt. The accompanying sauteed onions/bell peppers also come from the garden. Sadly I will not be making homemade flour tortillas since I don't have a recipe for Keto-friendly tortillas, but the regular ones are pretty easy to make themselves. Kroger is also supplying the Corona.

Everybody have a great weekend. Stay cool, dry and safe.

Good Morning, Everyone!
It's going to be a scorcher today, with an expected high of 75F... there goes the neighborhood. Right now, this morning, it's a comfortable 53F in the blue, with not a cloud to be seen. My blood can't take the heat that's expected, so you'll find me hiding in the basement today with an electric fan turned on high. Perhaps, this day of heat is our summer, as we've had rain the last days and more rain expected in the coming days. If it's going to be hot as expected, though, I'd ruther the rain.
I'm going for the sliced sausages, tomato and onion on toast, with a healthy layer of mayo. I'll suck down a couple of coffee here, before the heat sets in.

Since I became interested in the train hobby just this past December, I've been selling off a huge amount of the redundant airplane and armor hobby stuff. Last month, I closed in on a $2600.00 payday just by getting rid of the model kits that I know I'll never build. Over the years, I've collected over 300+ R/C and plastic kits, as well as engines and other hobby items not related to trains. The plan is to sell off a lot of this, and redirect the funds to the new train hobby. Weird, how my interests switched so abruptly, just because I bought the g-kids a train set for Christmas.

Just because I can't seem to post without leaving a photo, here is a couple that show the pulp mill along with a saw mill that is one of the main employers in my small town. Gives you something to look at.
WtCrt_Oct9-2019.jpg

WtCrt2019 (7).JPG

You can't really see anything, but, there is a train that runs through it.

Than you to all those who have noticed and liked my past post's. Even though my post's don't seem to as interesting as the guy's who are posting such good modelling efforts. Thank you.

Have a great day!

Good Morning, Everyone!
It's going to be a scorcher today, with an expected high of 75F... there goes the neighborhood. Right now, this morning, it's a comfortable 53F in the blue, with not a cloud to be seen. My blood can't take the heat that's expected, so you'll find me hiding in the basement today with an electric fan turned on high. Perhaps, this day of heat is our summer, as we've had rain the last days and more rain expected in the coming days. If it's going to be hot as expected, though, I'd ruther the rain.
I'm going for the sliced sausages, tomato and onion on toast, with a healthy layer of mayo. I'll suck down a couple of coffee here, before the heat sets in.

Since I became interested in the train hobby just this past December, I've been selling off a huge amount of the redundant airplane and armor hobby stuff. Last month, I closed in on a $2600.00 payday just by getting rid of the model kits that I know I'll never build. Over the years, I've collected over 300+ R/C and plastic kits, as well as engines and other hobby items not related to trains. The plan is to sell off a lot of this, and redirect the funds to the new train hobby. Weird, how my interests switched so abruptly, just because I bought the g-kids a train set for Christmas.

Just because I can't seem to post without leaving a photo, here is a couple that show the pulp mill along with a saw mill that is one of the main employers in my small town. Gives you something to look at.
View attachment 115155
View attachment 115156
You can't really see anything, but, there is a train that runs through it.

Than you to all those who have noticed and liked my past post's. Even though my post's don't seem to as interesting as the guy's who are posting such good modelling efforts. Thank you.

Have a great day!

Never fear, you can alway post a paper mill for me any day. This one below is being closed in Wisconsin Rapids, Wi. this month.
6ABF5791-6EF0-4942-89DE-90311B0388F3.jpeg

Good Morning from the WEST where it is 69 as we speak and on the way to 98 today - which was the high yesterday - but I actually think it will go over a hundred today?

CHET - before I forget... That's a really nice photo of the SW-1 and your layout (or is that at the club)? Two items -- what did you use to make the fence "wire" and that IH tractor trailer is exactly the model that I am looking for to make my 'BERRY PETROLEUM' tanker truck model. I have the tank trailer - just need the tractor.

ALAN - Nice explanation of lots that we forget in out quest for perfection!

on second look ... CHET ... I believe that is your layout. I see several "bug eyed" RS units?

Last edited:
JEEZEECH, GUY, BE careful that you don;t have a heat stroke with those temperatures!
I see lots of lumber stacked there ... What's an IGA building?
I didn't see any of that around when I traversed there in 1962?
IGA is a very large grocery store conglomerate. It was around in 1962; just wasn't as big and pretty. Their main name back then might have been Loblaws. Thanks for liking my post's, Sherrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back