Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Caught up here and with the holiday work stuff.

I did manage to get a brisket smoked on Friday for Saturday. Last brisket I did took 16 hours as I did it at 200*f so it took a while to get it to 200* I set it for 250* this time and it took about 6 hours. The advantage to an electric is that it is consistent and doesn't need all the attention, but you lose the pink smoke ring as you are basically baking the meat. Wife got me the smoker at a post-Christmas sale at Sam's club about 3 years ago. It has the capacity to handle 4 15-20# turkeys. Her only comment to me was that I was only smoking a brisket and could't I smoke additional stuff at the same time so I didn't waste the smoke? I said I didn't have anything else....

Did some weeding Friday in the 'mater patch. I've got some really nice sized GREEN tomatoes but nothing yet thinking about turning color. At least this year I seem to have the blossom end rot under control. I usually have some ready at the 4th, but not sure what's going on this year. I have 10 plants in different varieties in a 9'x9' raised bed.

Willie: I'd be glad to sent your weather back to you. I'm glad I have a basement to hibernate into....20 degrees cooler down there. LOL

Patrick - This is what's left after I made four quarts of spaghetti sauce Saturday and two pints of salsa Sunday.
07-06-20 015.JPG

Lots more out there to pick. I have 36 plants.

I did manage to get a brisket smoked on Friday for Saturday. Last brisket I did took 16 hours as I did it at 200*f so it took a while to get it to 200* I set it for 250* this time and it took about 6 hours. The advantage to an electric is that it is consistent and doesn't need all the attention, but you lose the pink smoke ring as you are basically baking the meat. Wife got me the smoker at a post-Christmas sale at Sam's club about 3 years ago. It has the capacity to handle 4 15-20# turkeys. Her only comment to me was that I was only smoking a brisket and could't I smoke additional stuff at the same time so I didn't waste the smoke? I said I didn't have anything else....

Try cooking it first Sous Vide and then just smoking it for the crust and smoke ring (as the internal is already cooked). Sous Vide is low temp long duration cooking using a water bath (and an inexpensive little device to allow you to set the temp and keep it).

So there was a little excitement on the 4th. After we had retired, a field of dry grass across the state highway (a few hundred yards away) caught fire due to fireworks. No structures were damaged but it shows the dangers. Luckily a fire station is just on the other side of the subdivision where this happened.

We had earlier been up on a hill on the other side (our side, not the fire side) of the state highway directly across from where this happened, watching all the fireworks from across the valley (both the professional shows from various cities as well as all the civilian spontaneous shows... It was quite a sight.

Finally got off the phone. No change, they said they still hadn't gotten the license plate. The person did say it would be the plate, and not my driver's license that would be suspended. Since I already sent it in, the suspension would be moot. My driver's license will need to be renewed next year, so I will need to stay on top of this, so renewal of that doesn't get blocked.

Good morning. Another nice day ahead.

Sherrel - Sorry to hear about the virus situation, but I do believe that you guys made the right decision. Are you having to wear masks according to your wonderful buddy Newsome? Like the photo of the gruesome twosome and Willie's layout.

TomO - Like to see that I'm not the only one with a messy work area.

Alan - Like the trolley photo that both you and Sherrel posted. I was fortunate enough to have ridden on quite a few outstanding trains, but never got to ride on one of out trolleys. The trams I rode on in Europe do NOT count.

Greg - Most of my steamers behave on the layout with the exception of a Bachmann decopod and an Atheran Genisis light mike that have pilot truck problems. That watering hole looks like a good place to visit.

Garry - Like the GT photos.

Willie - Good photos again. Looks like someone is enjoying them self.

Phil - I well know the feeling about not being able to do what we used to. That one reason I am selling off some of my old cars. Getting hard to work on them any more.

Have to get the grill ready for another grilling session. We had a number of friends over last night and today the grand kids will be over. Burgers and hot dogs are a bit easier than the london broil we did last night.

Back to the archive for photos.

View attachment 115008
View attachment 115009
View attachment 115010.
View attachment 115011
View attachment 115012
View attachment 115013

Later

Even though I model modern, 2015, I have been trying to reason why I want a RDC. Whose version did you buy? I love the picture in front of the station.

I am not a neat freak but much better then the pictures showing the sub station. Today, I have been cleaning my work area My wife said, about time, you have too many projects going again at the same time. Yep, she’s right and that is when I get the mess and congestion. These pictures are too clean but give me another 30 minutes, it will change. 95 outside, 68 inthe trainroom and 76 in the cave outside the door of the trainroom. The track above the modeling bench is my program and test track. I also test scenery ideas in this section.
Tom
BF37D9E2-AB55-4C43-9D88-2F6114E1E04A.jpeg
AADB4838-9641-4BC0-A5F9-9B3AE9ADA158.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Trimmed the hedges this morning (that was fun in the humidity) then ran the second main buss wire. I also mounted some brackets on the end of peninsula where the base station will be mounted. I fitted some lightweight plywood for the base of it but it's too thin to be permanent. Tomorrow I'm going to hook up the base station then test the main buss before progressing on. I made the decision to go ahead and purchase the Digitrax 5/8 amp system from my buddy Tom (local friend) after consultation with the boss. It's used and less than half of the new price. The downside is that it will probably be 3 weeks before I can pick it up.

Eldest grandson is 15 today.

Patrick- I'm glad your daughter is doing better. Nice little fire station.

Terry- Sounds like you had a draw with the bureaucracy today.

Willie- Nice looking station. The bases for the fence are huge (used the fence before). I ended up drilling holes for the fence supports.

TomO- Nice weathering on the building.

20200706_122853.jpg

20200706_143325.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. Just finished lunch after spending the morning at the Hot Springs getting some exercise in. The grand kids enjoyed the burgers and hot dogs yesterday and my daughter said that no one wanted to get up this morning. Tuckered out.

TomO - The work bench does look a bit better. Nice photos. The RDC in the photo is a Rapido, the good one. Greg also has on and he, like me, loves it. The sound is excellent. It runs a lot better on DCC than DC that I use at home. I have run it at the club a couple of times and the visitors as well as the other club members really like it.

thumbnail_20190831_075721.jpg

Willie - From your history of outdoor photo, you should keep a boat handy. I know what it's like when you put off mowing for too long. Years ago we couldn't get out to mow it because of constant rain and by the time we did. it looked pretty much like what you had. My neighbor had an old buck rake and I put my son on it and dragged him around the yard to get things cleaned up. Looks like you have 'maters up the bazoo.

Curt - Nice to see you getting some work started on the layout.

Terry - Missed what happened with your license plate.

Here are a couple more photos of the RDC for TomO.

thumbnail_20190831_080318.jpg

thumbnail_20190831_080205.jpg

thumbnail_20190831_080005.jpg

Mt daughter in law brought over a couple of mole traps that I'm gooing to try. I have one that is both apparently stupid as he is digging in the gravel driveway and smart as I have pumped hundreds of gallons of water down into the burrows and he keeps surviving.

Later

Curt, thank you on the weathering.

Chet, thank you for the additional RDC pictures and what brand. Nice job on your ROW too, not too neat but not too messy.
I was hoping for Rapido as I wanted an excuse to buy from them. I have always enjoyed the look but couldn’t figure out how to explain one on my time frame for my layout. Well, a few weeks ago CN gave me the reason and on the section of RR I model. This picture in Wausau, Wi is by Patty Miskar and was on a CN forum group on FB. I hope that’s enough credit for the forum name. Now, the guy on FB who wanted to buy the balance of my WC stuff needs to pay and I will order one. If he doesn’t, well, I will order one anyway. Lol..
76131484-6453-4EAD-9661-CC943FC1B92A.jpeg

Good evening, y'all. Just about 2:50pm, as we left the physical Therapy place, the sky opened up. Not quite as much rain as Willie had, but ¾"+, of rain in about 40", just about overwhelmed the drainage on Highway 9.

It was a busy day, driving out to Monroe for an appointment with the surgeon...everything looked good, but he was concerned with the residual swelling, of the calf and sent me for an Ultrasound. By 12:30pm we were out of the hospital with results (favorable), of the ultrasound. No DVT, no clots, good blood flow. We ad just enough time to grab a sammich and go back for therapy. Needless to say, I'm elated and tired.

I am now OK to drive.

Patrick, hope your daughter doesn't have any more setbacks. Glad she's feeling better. Like your fire station.

Chet: You remind me that I have a Rapido RDC that has never run on DCC, and another that needs a decoder (and sound?).

SAL Centipede.jpg

Hey all, I'm having a bit of a old timers moment about plywood. Can someone suggest a thickness and quality or grade? I think I used 5/8 inch before but I can't remember.
My opinion is that 5/8" is overkill unless you have no cross braces. I use 1/2" BC grade (OK, it's really 15/32") because it's cheaper than AC grade (requires special order for next day pick up as well) and I am going to cover it with roadbed/track/ballast/paint/ground cover anyway. It is also not as heavy as 5/8", which should be a consideration if stairs are involved. I mount it on a box frame of 1" x 4" and I cross brace it with 1" x 4" about every 16". I can stand on it and I weigh a lot more than any layout components.
This is what works for me and I don't have any "cookie-cutter" areas, or grades of any sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back