Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight's sunset is actually east of the setting sun, looking due north towards Lake Ontario and Canada kinda looks like a bomb was dropped. Those thunder heads reflected the sun even when it was just about dark at 10:00 pm. This was about 9:30 pm.
IMG_3418.jpg

WILLIE- My inlaws married at a young age. MOH [DEBBIE] is 15 years six months and a day younger than me.

TOM-Thanks for both sentiments.

Phil
You sound like me. I’m 50 & 10 years younger than my MIL(they got hitched right out of college). MBH(Angela) is 18 & change younger than me. We’ve been together for about 9 years. I moved here from South Jersey about 2 years before we tied the knot, because she was in grad school.

Good evening everyone, it was a hot one today, got up to 100°F an is currently 84°F at 9:43 pm.. Fortunately tomorrow is only supposed to get up to 84°F with an over night low 54°F a welcome relief.

Hi Flo, Francine, How about a Yardman's burger with the works and some fill pickle slices and plenty of fries. Plenty of cold lemonade too !

Here's some eye candy from the Niles Canyon Railroad in the East Bay area of San Francisco.

I guess I can't paste the image of the; 2-4-4-2 Unfortunately !?

Last edited:
Good evening everyone, it was a hot one today, got up to 100°F an is currently 84°F at 9:43 pm.. Fortunately tomorrow is only supposed to get up to 84°F with an over night low 54°F a welcome relief.

Hi Flo, Francine, How about a Yardman's burger with the works and some fill pickle slices and plenty of fries. Plenty of cold lemonade too !

Here's so eye candy from the Gorge Railroad in the Northern San Joaquin valley.

I guess I can't paste the image of the; 2-4-4-2
Unfortunately !?

David- you can keep that heat to yourself. 64* at half past midnight here in NC Wisconsin. Glad to be finally starting my weekend(my days off are Sunday & Monday), even if it’s supposed to ⛈ on Monday.

David- you can keep that heat to yourself. 64* at half past midnight here in NC Wisconsin. Glad to be finally starting my weekend(my days off are Sunday & Monday), even if it’s supposed to ⛈ on Monday.
[/QUOTE

Mike: Hi, nice to meet you
Yes, I know what you mean about the heat, I despise it too ! The next couple of days are supposed to cool down fairly nicely.

It's 69°F at 2:30 Am, no wonder I sit with the fan blowing on me !

Morning all. Been a couple weeks I know, but after the City project I needed to take a break. This week the last car showed up from Brass Trains. I had originally thought I would just be able to put it right in the consist, but, no. Turns out it needed a few things, as often happens when you buy preowned models. The decals were old Champs, and incorrect for the train, so it had to be re-lettered. As you can see from the window configuration, that was a load of fun! I had to go through the whole darned library to find a pic of it with this lettering. When I did, I cut up the letter board decal to match the photo, and it didn't work. Turns out the builder took a bit of liberty with the window spacing. Not much but enough! It was also kind of a PITA to keep all of the pieces lined up with each other. They're not perfect but they'll do for the three foot rule. Thinfilm decals are not easy to work with. They have a tendency to grab the paper when you're sliding them onto the model, and it's not very hard to tear them. Keeps things interesting! The guy who painted it didn't clean the paint off the wheel treads, and the couplers needed shimmed. The last thing it needs is a resistor installed per our club rules. As time passes I'll keep looking for the correct 4-4-2 sleepers to replace the three Wally stand ins, but no hurry there. Some of these cars were made in very low numbers, and I'll have to wait until someone wants to sell one.

Telegraph Hill Final.JPG

Good Morning All. It's 6:00 am, 77° and cloudy. How's that for overnight cooling? Pool felt great after my walk earlier this morning. Forecast is still calling for scattered thunderstorms this afternoon, but I don't see anything that might trigger them coming up. Saharan dust cloud has not made it here yet, but maybe tonight. Wife and family made it safely to South Padre Island yesterday. View from the balcony of her condo, she claimed that there were bikini clad girls in it, but they are hard to see. Looks like social distancing is working there.
Resized_20200627_170214.jpeg

Same view this morning, seems that the dust cloud has hit them.
Resized_20200628_062908(1).jpeg

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the LHS purchases; Guy, Louis, Sherrel, Bob, Chet, Curt, James, Jerome, Garry, Tom.

Good morning Flo, how about a BLT this morning, extra bacon.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I started to make a structure from DPM modular walls. Here they are trimmed and filed.
06-28-20 001.JPG

Some work progressed yesterday.
06-28-20 003.JPG

First up today is some paint touch up on the storefronts. I decided to leave the brick in its natural DPM color since I have no other close by structures in that color. I will attack it with my trademark "mortaring" later after assembling all of the walls and before installing the windows. I am still contemplating what type of business this will be, help me Mikey!
One other item that I purchased was an ATSF caboose. It's an Athearn/Roundhouse product.
06-28-20 004.JPG

06-28-20 005.JPG

My intent is to use it as a display at the railroad museum that is part of the current CUP overhaul. It represents a caboose built in 1927 that did not make it through the '67 - '69 rebuilding blitz, where all cabooses received six digit numbers. These were the first steel cabooses that ATSF used.

Phil -
[DEBBIE] is 15 years six months and a day younger than me.
Robbing the cradle huh? You sly old geezer!;)
Bob - What good is the old refrigerator without the doors?:confused:
James - Great reminiscences about you grandfather. Condolences on losing such a wonderful family member.
Mikey - It is interesting that all of the folks that I met at the physical therapy center had names for their walkers. Herschel Walker would work as a name for Joe's walker also, since he was once a member of the New Jersey Generals football team of the USFL before becoming a Dallas Cowboy.
Joe - Congratulations, you are making excellent progress. You may not need a name for your walker since you're ditching it so quickly. That's determination.

Everyone have a great day. Stay cool and safe.

Good morning y'all. Happy Sunday!

James: Condolences on the loss of your Grandfather.

Alan: Nice to see the 12-5 is finished.

Willie: nice cabin car. your idea for a CUP museum item, resolves the didn't survive 'till 19xx problem. I saw the weather item about the Desert Sand on TV last night...I had no idea...

Howdy .

David .... You said you were having trouble posting a picture. What's up?

Toot .... I'm not familiar with HAL 9000, but I do recall seeing the MILW observation cars in Chicago Union Station several times.

Willie .... That is a very nice model of an ATSF caboose.

Alan .... The sleeper looks outstanding.

I showed the photos of MILW's Hiawatha yesterday. Here is a one of the locomotives used to pull it. It is the Fairbanks Morse passenger locomotive called the "Erie Built" becasue those units were assembled in Erie, PA.

50053703103_d588e0c7c0_z.jpg

Chicago and Northewestern RR also served the Twin Cities and it also had Erie Builts.

50054296236_875fea855c_h.jpg

Good morning. 53 degrees with rain and cooler weather in the forecast. We have been up into the lower 90's a few times.

James - So sorry to hear about your grandfather. I have an idea how it feels ad my grandfather passed away in our home at 99. He had so many interesting stories. When he came here from Europe he joined the army and was chasing Pancho Villa under General Pershing. You have to celebrate the good times.

Garry - Like those Milwaukee Road photos. I can remember riding in one of those Sky Dome cars. I was usually fun off if it started getting crowded because I was only a kid.

Curt - Glad that you were able t get some running time in at a friends house. Looking forward to seeing progress photos of the bench work and track laying.

Joe - Glad to see you getting around. Have to come up with a nick name, how about "Hobble long Cassidy?

Tom - Interesting sunset photo. Nice.

Alan - Good looking sleeper. Nice work.

Willie - You have to get a good telephoto lens for your wife so you can see the girls better. Like the caboose. A little bit of work can make them more interesting. Did a bit of work on this one to make it look different.

IMAG0262.jpg

It was nice to get over to the club last night for a change. Not used to getting home so late though. By the time everything is secured for the night it takes me about an hour to get back home. I do take a bit of a detour and instead of getting off at Bozeman and running through the maze of traffic lights, I get off at Belgrade where it is about a 10 mile straight ride home.

Here's my train pulling the grade out of our east subdivision passing another NP train on a siding.

thumbnail_20200627_193552.jpg

thumbnail_20200627_200532.jpg

thumbnail_20200627_200529.jpg

Here are a pair of BLI NW2's switching the east sub yard. I sold George #105. He already had 104 but it couldn't quite handle some of the longer trains by itself. Sure liked that switcher but I already had a pair of excellent running ones at home and I got what I paid for it.

thumbnail_20200627_200214.jpg

We run what we bring. No particular time period set. We also had one guy bring a nice looking AmTrak passenger train but the photo was too blurry.

thumbnail_20200627_201922.jpg

This photo is on the bypass track showing the fire dept vehicles fighting a fire.Unfortunately the flashing red and blue lights didn't come out well. Other details were added over the winter such as some operating grade crossing signals and a construction site. The next two are climbing up to the summit. The BNSF train is just starting down grade from the top.

thumbnail_20200627_200933.jpg

thumbnail_20200627_201957.jpg

A little blurry as both trains were moving at a fairly good pace.

Later.

Afternoon All,

Today I finished up the peninsula that ended up being 9'6'' instead of 10'6' for the reasons stated before. I'm planning on putting my base station on a bolted shelf to the end of the peninsula (puts it square in the middle). The thing I am concerned about is if my 3 amp digitrax system will be powerful enough for the new layout. I do have access at reduced cost to a Digitrax 8 amp system (used) if I need it. I have one more module to frame then it's on to running wiring :(.

Chet- Thank you. It was fun running trains for awhile. Great club photos.

James- I am sorry for your Grandfather's passing. He sounded like a amazing man.

Garry- Neat looking loco and end car. I like the stainless steel on the front of the FA also.

Tom- Neat clouds. They almost look biblical if you know what I mean.

Alan- Great job on the sleeper.

Willie- Nice ocean scenes. The building should look great when complete.

Terry- Sorry to hear about your LHS.

20200628_105105.jpg

I added a 23" angle brace (on both sides) to ease the 90 degree corner.
20200628_140654.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I am still contemplating what type of business this will be, help me Mikey!
Willie- I have a couple possibilities for you.
I have not noticed a bank building on your layout., see the Central Bank logo.
There was a 1960's and 70's Furniture store that did 95%of their business on credit and installment payments.
See the Big K logo for King Credit Furniture.

Attachments

• Big K King Credit Furniture.jpg
    Big K King Credit Furniture.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Central Bank.jpg
    Central Bank.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 150
Today I finished up the peninsula that ended up being 9'6'' instead of 10'6' for the reasons stated before. I'm planning on putting my base station on a bolted shelf to the end of the peninsula (puts it square in the middle). The thing I am concerned about is if my 3 amp digitrax system will be powerful enough for the new layout. I do have access at reduced cost to a Digitrax 8 amp system (used) if I need it.

If you have things broken up in to blocks you can use boosters for each additional block. And since I assume your Digitrax base station uses Loconet to communicate you should be able to use any Loconet compatible booster.

how about "Hobble long Cassidy?

Chet: Trying not to over think the natural mechanical process of mastering the use of the cane :rolleyes: I keep thinking of this as "Peg Legged Pete". but Hoppi would work fine. Think Dennis Weaver's character in Gunsmoke. Seriously, I'm beginning to loose patience with the swelling, and stiffness. Otherwise things are good. Today, is the first day, so far, without Oxy.

3 amp digitrax system will be powerful enough for the new layout.
Curt: Based on my limited experience, it should be enough. My MRC Progidy Advance² is a 3 Amp system, and I have an additional 3 Amp booster, but that has not been connected yet. (May be overkill, but the entire layout isn't finished yet).
Best advice, if the Digitrax 8 can be had for a deal, then make the deal and be done with it. Sell off the 3. If not go with the 3 and add a 3A booster if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back