Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Everyone ... supposed to be 82 today - was 88 yesterday down from 96 the day prior. Looking for more variable and breezy. Personally I think it will be warmer than the guessers today - after all it is the hot season.

JOE - Welcome back ... your picture made me cringe! I had much better see a nice G-5, F-unit, or something along those lines, LOL.
Take it easy and don't over do it on the robotic knee. Congratulations!

Willie - There you go again - getting me all excited with your photo album this morning!

Back later - need more coffee!

IBKEN ... Nice B&O units there in the photo!

Good morning .

Boris .... Good to see you are posting here. Best wishes to you as you recover from surgery .

Willie ..... You do great work bringing your scenes to life.

KEn ... Your Atlas GP40 that you painted and lettered looks great.

I just completed building a Mack dump truck from a Sylvan Models kit. I painted it orange and weathered it . There are two older dump truck models behind it in this photo.

50043374908_a5fc68e1d3_h.jpg

Joe: Glad to see you're on the mend. 10 years ago, it was staples and stitches and a huge wrap. One thing you may notice for a while is the knee feels hot. I'm not sure why that is (maybe the metal reflecting heat back), but it is normal. Be sure to keep it iced down as much as possible.

Don't ask me why, but with my moderate sized layout I have six Digitrax throttles, two UT-2, two UT-4, one DT300 and one DT402 throttle. I guess that as my DCC skills improved, I moved up the line with throttles and didn't like some of the features of the UT-2 and UT-4 throttles especially the size of the small dials to change settings. The DT300 and DT402 were sort intimating until I read the instructions. UT-2 are no longer supported by Digitrax and the UT-4 do not have any programming abilities.

Now, I mainly use the DT402 and find it easy to use and operate two trains at the same time. One bad feature is that the 400 series throttles can go asleep and many users think when this occurs that the throttle(s) has gone bad. Waking back up the critter is easy using Digitrax's instructions and becomes second hand when using the 400 series.

I've used the Zephyr and found it easy to operate with its symbolic operating keypad buttons and controls which are copied on the new 602 throttles. I may purchase one of the 602 throttles for operators that are not familiar with the Digitrax throttles systems.

1593100133504.png

1593100169173.png

I think Digitrax is coming in line with the new throttlesfeatures and ease of use like the NCE products and other DCC manufactures. Digitrax has a loyal following, but think Digtrax is believed by many to be too complicated for many DCC users entering the world of DCC model railroading. This new throtttle may solve that problem.

Enough Digtrax reviews.....bye for now.

Greg

Lunch and then down to the basement and the train room.

Last edited:
I had to look over the executive order very carefully, but on page 8 I found the loophole I need:
If wearing a mask hinder me being able to operate equipment or machinery, I don't have to wear it. Since wearing a mask fogs up my glasses and I can't see what I'm doing, I can't wear a mask for that reason. It's sad I had to work that hard, and read so much crap, in order to keep from having to do something I shouldn't have to do to begin with, which is wear a mask when I'm working outdoors by myself.

YAY for you, Terry!
When I was waiting to pick up the RV at the dealer yesterday for the auto-steps repair - all the employees had on masks which they promptly removed when going out the door and putting back on when they re-entered.
BIG SIGNS on the doors stating that masks were required inside, but at least 50-60 people came and went without masks -- no sign enforcement at all!
The motor and control module were replaced at a cost of $427.oo of which my portion was $50.oo. First bargain I have had ... the warranty company drug their feet forever coughing up the money!

GREG - The vascular surgery you mentioned, the loss of toes, the lyme disease, and ...
god knows what else? You really need to buy a lotto ticket!

Sherrel: This weekend I'll purchase a couple of lotto tickets.

Among these misfortunes you listed, add PEA which is Pulse-Less Electric Activity and I was DOA in the wagon and at the Hospital and later revived after 6+ minutes (hospital bill alone was over 300k), a golf ball sized gall stone and then I aspirated and ended up on a Vent and there was little hope and then for many years uncontrollable blood pressure. Other than a few other concerns I'm dealing with I'm healthy and happy!

Maybe I'll purchase a 12 pack of tickets on second thought.

Those tape stitches are neat. I had over 400 wire staples for the vas surgery and it took two surgeons an half hour to disconnect me from the staples. The tape just washed off.

Greg

##############################

Good Afternoon All,

Thank you for the likes.

We were supposed to go to lunch with daughter and grandsons, then go bowling but as daughter said they were acting like buttheads, so no go. You gotta love the teenage years. Anyway so after lunch I built the first of 2 peninsula modules. It is 5' long and 39" wide as compared to the 30" for the wall units. The second unit is supposed to be the same size but I'm cutting it back a foot to give more room at the end. There is 27" walking space on both sides. The plan is this will be my yard.

Terry- I totally understand about working in the mask outside.

Ken- Beautiful looking locos.

Willie- Nice details. It' a woman's world. :D

Joe- I also cringed when I saw the picture. I was wondering what was keeping the site together...now I know. I'm glad you are doing OK post surgery.

Garry- Great looking dump truck and scene.

Greg- I have the DCS51 and 2 DT402D throttles (1 is my Dad's that he never uses). This set up worked well on my last layout but I will have more and longer runs so I hope the DCS51 continues to have enough power for my needs.

20200625_145511.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

GUY- Did not forget you. Family medical problem M-I-L passed early this a.m.
Eliott [BIGBOY 4005] started the diner April of 2004 on the MR Mag. It took hold and has been going strong. Met GARRY there years ago. Left that diner for this one for reasons left unsaid
Been lucky here. Met CURT-formed a friendship Also staying in E-Mail touch with a few others This is a swell place so, a belated welcome .
Phil

GUY- Did not forget you. Family medical problem M-I-L passed early this a.m.
Eliott [BIGBOY 4005] started the diner April of 2004 on the MR Mag. It took hold and has been going strong. Met GARRY there years ago. Left that diner for this one for reasons left unsaid
Been lucky here. Met CURT-formed a friendship Also staying in E-Mail touch with a few others This is a swell place so, a belated welcome .
Phil
Sad to hear that, Phil. Right out of the blue, huh. Canuck condolences to you and the family.

Hi guys, many thanks for the "likes" and kind comments - Phil, Patrick, Jerome, Karl, Garry, Guy, Sherrell, David, Willie, Curt , and anyone else I might have missed!

Phil - Condolences to your wife & everyone close to your late MIL.

Joe - glad you got thru the surgery, hope the pain meds kick in soon!

This has to be a drive-by post, since I'm supposed to be at Daughter #1's house @ 6:30 for a belated Fathers Day supper. She's ordering carryout from Outback Steakhouse - filet mignon. Gotta get there on time so it will still be warm. Adios!

Bruette, was this picture of the B&O F unit taken at The Streamliners at Spencer event in 2014 by chance? The reason I ask,I was there and was just wondering, also I don't remember a B&O F unit,but I could be wrong. William.
I do not know where that picture was taken, sorry.

Thank you Everybody for your kind words concerning my wife and her employees. My wife seldom ever works the overnight shift and was not working the night of the robbery, although that is where she is right now. Since the robbery she has had more than the usual number of callouts on the overnight shift. This is the first one she had to cover herself. The two that most often step up to cover the shift were already working.

Despite the high unemployment numbers my wife is having trouble finding new employees. She has only had one applicant that passed the online prescreening in the last 2 weeks. She offers $2-$5 ($13-$18) or even more above minimum wage, depending on experience with full time hours and benefits. She even offers a good chance for advancement, but that does not help if you have nobody to offer it to. Convenience stores are gold mines, but like most things you must earn every penny.

It is amazing to me how many employees only want part-time hours. It seems to me they know exactly how many hours to work and keep their government assistance. My wife knows the ones because she fills out the forms for social services. The government needs to ask, “did the employee refuse additional hours?” If they did, they would probably all be full time!

I have been AWOL from the forum because my sleep schedule is out of whack. The one thing that most diminishes my productivity is getting off my sleep schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back