Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Worked on the next module (6 ft.) and attached it. Of course I have 3 more cuts/scrapes from the power tools :(. I decided that I'm going to do the peninsula before completing the left side because I will have more room to work. Tomorrow were taking the grandkids bowling as a day trip.

I have 2 of the Digitrax DT402D throttles that are working so can't justify the added expense to myself.

Joe- I hope you're doing OK and not in a lot of pain.

Louis- Nice picture.

Guy- Nice start to the yard.

Ken- It sounds like you found what you needed. Does it leave the shells smooth?

Jerome- Sorry, I don't know anything new to help you out.

Willie- Nice brickwork.

20200624_133843.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Guys, I need some help here. I have this light housing from a 70 ton switcher. The openings are exactly 7" wide. Where would I find a couple of clear lenses for it? Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 114709
Do not know if this will help but I had to replace 2 headlight lens on a 1930 fire truck and I went to a local glass dealer and they were able to replicate them in a round configuration out of shower glass.

It appears to me that Digitrax is making its 600 series throttles more user friendly and geared towards a new comer to DCC. The design of the control buttons make using the 600 series something that was needed in the Digitrax line of throttles. Much more simplier than a DT 400 series throttle.

Greg

Yup you are correct. They followed up with this after they discontinued the ZEPHYR DCS50, DCS51 and now we have the new DCS52 https://www.digitrax.com/products/starter-sets/dcs52/ which you can see they made all those changes on the buttons etc and carried it over to the handhelds.

Good Morning Everyone. 70° and thunderstorms again this morning. OK, this is enough, four days in a row that I have gotten up to thunder, lightning and rain. The sound of grass growing is almost as loud as the thunder. Flash flood warning has returned.

How about a non-traditional breakfast this morning Flo. A sliced brisket sandwich and some potato salad should hit the spot.

Thanks for the reactions and likes yesterday regarding the layout progress; Guy, Chad, Jerome, Garry, James, Sherrel, Patrick, Phil, Curt, Tom, David.

I started cleaning up the used car lot yesterday. When I built it, I added an interior to it.
View attachment 114678
View attachment 114679
I put a new billboard on the roof to replace the old one that had completely faded and fallen off.
View attachment 114680
View attachment 114681
This structure will be getting interior lighting.

Curt - My pond normally doesn't have any mosquitoes. They breed in stagnant water. My pond doesn't fit into that category. Between the bullfrogs, turtles and occasional ducks, they remove all of the eggs, as well as the algae that the larvae need to feed on. Cannot say the same for the standing water in the ditches along the road though.
David -

Spillway on the opposite side usually takes care of that. Very occasionally the runoff from my hayfield and neighbor's pasture uphill will cause everything to be overwhelmed and the water might (only happened twice) run over the top of the surrounding levee, but it channels itself away from the train shed and house.
Here are a couple of shots of that happening in June 2019. Compare this picture with the one posted yesterday to see the difference.
View attachment 114675
View attachment 114674
Here was some of the water running into the pond that day, going through the drainage sluice. The levee on the left is normally about 18" high
View attachment 114676
That was the day that I posted this picture of part of the front yard where all of that overflow was going by.
View attachment 114677

Mikey - You're right that activity here has been pretty minimal recently.

It appears that the thunderstorm has moved on and there is just a light rain now. Only 0.35" in the gauge so I may not have to pump water out of the pool this morning.
Have a great and safe day.

Willie: That's one heck of a lot of muddy water ! Glad to know you're house aand Train Shed are safe ! 😨

Good Morning All. Clear and 67°. I was tired of getting up to the sound of rain on the roof. Didn't even make 80° yesterday, forecast is for maybe 90° for the next ten days, kinda cool for this time of year here. Collected an additional 0.75" of rain yesterday, for a five day total of just over 6".

How about a couple of sausage, egg and cheese breakfast biscuits this morning Flo. Large OJ to wash it down.

Thanks for yesterday's likes and comments guys; Jerome, Phil, James, Patrick, Guy, Garry, Louis, Tom O, Curt, Sherrel, Tom, Karl.

Another day of odds and ends in the train shed yesterday. I revisited a past project when I uncovered a sign that I had printed a few months ago for Mikey's Mattress Manufacturing; in response to a suggestion from Mikey regarding a rail-served background structure that I built for another scene.
View attachment 114711
I mounted it to a piece of .020" styrene before mounting it to the building. Since this was new track in this area, I am still in the "test it out" stage, hence no scenery yet.
Thanks again for the suggestion Mikey.
I also started assembly of some Walther's modular walls to use as a simple background structure in the CUP scene that I am presently working on. This I painted a different color that the above structure.
View attachment 114713
After weathering and window installation.
View attachment 114714
Today I'll install the clear glass. It will just be a generic background building with no particular purpose. I'll be making another with DPM walls for variety.
I am at a pausing point in the current project, the Charlottesville Urbanization Project (CUP), while I contemplate what I am going to do there next. I have a couple more background buildings that I have printed to add to the scene, but I have run out of suitable structures to use for the rest. I have a planned visit to the LHS Friday as well as a pending purchase of some surplus kits from a fellow modeler that should take care of some of my needs. Meanwhile I will spruce up Honest Sam's Used Cars and continue with ground cover where I can.
Then of course, sometime in July, I will start on the next quarterly layout cleaning segment, which may include some major stuff.

Guy - No catfish in the front yard. Most years that pond actually dries up completely (or soaks into the surrounding ground) and I have just a big empty crater out there. Don't know where the frogs and turtles go while that happens, but they always return.
Garry - I too met Jeffrey on a different forum, I think it was the original Gauge. He was a prolific poster on a lot of other forums including his own "Rails of the World", which he started about six months before his death. On our vacation trips to Gulf Shores AL, we passed about 25 miles east of his home near Alexandria LA and we had a side trip planned to visit when he abruptly stopped answering my E-Mails. Found out here about his passing a few weeks later. He had apparently gotten worse and entered the hospital and stopped communicating. This was late 2014 if I remember correctly. I still miss him.
Louis - Glad to read that Angela is safe.

Everybody have a great day.

Willlie: Jeffrey was indeed very interesting and creative guy. Very Patriotic too !!

I'm going to start breaking the law on Friday, unless I get fired before then. I am NOT wearing a cloth face mask in 100 degree heat while working outside on an asphalt parking lot.

Mask use outside in the sun and heat is not that necessary of an idea. Are they really making you do it in that condition? I understand indoors or really crowded areas outside (like mass transit and downtown crowds etc) but not otherwise.

Good morning rail gang, looks as though the hot weather is starting

68° F going to 97° F, weather app is calling for a slight but doubt it will materialize ?
Yesterday morning about 10:30 I felt two bumps from an earthquake, 5.8M that was centered not too far from Lone Pine, Calif., which is not too far from Keeler and Laws and the narrow gauge railroad that ran in that area. That is on the Eastern side of the Sierra Nevada Mountain range that is near the boarder of Nevada.

Hi Flo, Francine, how about some scrambled eggs, some Hickory smoked Ham, lost of hash browns and black coffee. Good to you both again after my long absence.

Hope everyone is safe and well.

The Sum Light/heat kills the Covid 19 virus so no need to wear any mask unless you're around many others.

Just make sure you get enough Vitamin A, 10,000 units of D3 if not out in the sunlight as well as plenty of vitamin C !

If you have other pre-existing conditions take appropriate cautions.

Have a good day all.
Oh, whoever gets here next, breakfast is on me !

Last edited:
Mask use outside in the sun and heat is not that necessary of an idea. Are they really making you do it in that condition? I understand indoors or really crowded areas outside (like mass transit and downtown crowds etc) but not otherwise.
Per the executive order, all employees of a business are to wear cloth face masks at all times, period. And the business is subject to a hefty fine if an employee is caught not wearing one. I can imagine the misery of a roofer or lawn service guy trying to do his job in the middle of Summer while wearing a face mask. Construction workers are also required to wear masks.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear and 72°. Weather Underground is showing wind gusts out of the east at 0 mph. Wonder how they know that they are out of the east?
Picked about 10 pounds of tomatoes again yesterday, along with some more jalapenos and bell peppers. Grasshoppers are starting to be a problem this year, eating leaves off the squash and pepper plants. They are also going after my redbud trees in the yard. Spent the morning and early afternoon making spaghetti sauce out of the many tomatoes, onions and garlic that the garden produced this year. I did four pints of salsa last weekend and made four quarts of marinara sauce yesterday. By Saturday I will have to process close to thirty pounds of tomatoes, most likely just blanching and freezing them as that is easier for now.
Later I resumed my second favorite pastime of mowing the yard. I managed to get about 3/4 acre done before a cold beer and the pool called me for a break. I'll get back to it after lunch/nap later today as the weekly grocery/beer trek is this morning. I do have a new set of blades (3) to install on the tractor, but the ground is still a bit too wet for me to be crawling around on it to remove the mower deck. Gravel driveway is not very friendly.

Thanks for breakfast this morning David. I'll have a Mexican omelet with plenty of sausage.

Thanks for the many likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Jerome, Sherrel, James, Guy, Patrick, Ken, Karl, Phil, Curt, Louis, Tom, David.

Absolutely nothing to report from the train shed yesterday. I did no modeling, but ran some various trains for about 90 minutes. No incidents to report except a sticking coupler on a box car. Then I broke some of the underbody brake rigging when it was over on the workbench.
So how about some more girlie pictures from the layout.

06-14-20 003.JPG

06-14-20 005.JPG

06-14-20 006.JPG

06-14-20 007.JPG

And finally a mom.
06-14-20 008.JPG

Another slow day here in the Coffee Shop yesterday. I can't add anything to the discussion regarding the headlights for Jerome and I will steer clear of any discussion of the pandemic, because I might get political.

Hope that we hear from Joe this morning with good news regarding his knee replacement. He will be in pain for a few days.

Everybody have an awesome day.

Morning all,

69* and partly sunny this morning (not yet up but the sky is clear) with expected high of 96*.

Nothing on the train side yesterday, but I did locate a cutting mat. I don't usually go into the fabric department at H.L..where these are located. I have an appointment with the orthopedics DR. this afternoon. It the postponed 10 year check on the knee replacement and a separate check on what I've done to the "good" knee. I'm pretty sure it's a torn meniscus, just not sure what else. Another reason I wasn't supposed to live past 40! ;)

Good morning y'all. I survived. ;)

I am in a moderate amount of pain with the affected knee. Still have to go through the girations connected with getting the Oxi Rx filled. I'm walking with a walker and getting around quite well. I met all the initial PT goals and got caught taking myself to the potty without a babysitter. :eek:

June 23 2020 Left Knee.jpg

Congrats

I am in a moderate amount of pain with the affected knee. Still have to go through the girations connected with getting the Oxi Rx filled. I'm walking with a walker and getting around quite well. I met all the initial PT goals and got caught taking myself to the potty without a babysitter. :eek:

View attachment 114743

View attachment 114743

Boris:. Hard to keep a good man down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back