3D Printing

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Does anyone do 3D printing on here. I have a job that is way to many for me to scratch build. I need about 100 of these braces made.

20200326_175903.jpg

100_1463.JPG

Interesting. I have been researching 3D printers. May get one next fall. I have yet read up more on them. Especially the type of plastic to use. Don't want have junk plastic like that one order you had on the roof top antennas.

I thought there was someonne on here that had a 3D printer. Right now there is a mad rush on 3D printers on the market because of making parts for ventilators.....imagine that.

it wouldn't be real easy to do, the first photo shows that it's a I beam, would be a lot easier to do flat as a C channel beam in a 3d printer... just sayin'

Last edited:
Understood, then I'm back to gluing cutting shaping. It took me hours just to make those 5.
Not necessarily. At HO scale, many printers will be able to print an I beam without supports. That said, a couple of bits of info about 3D printers. The most common affordable hobbyist printers are FFF / FDM (Fused FiIament Fabrication or Fused Deposition Modeling, two names for the same thing) and SLA (Stereo Lithography Apparatus or resin printing). FDM uses a roll of filament, most commonly PLA (Poly Lactic Acid) or ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), though there are many other types. The detail of FDM prints is okay in many applications, but may not be the best for your use. Here is a picture of "Benchy", a 3d test print. Notice the horizontal striations. They are part and parcel of FDM printing.

Benchy.jpg

SLA printing yields much finer detail, but is somewhat more complicated to use and is more messy.

Prop.jpg

Hopes this helps. If you don't plan on getting your own 3D printer, there is always Shapeways. They will print your designs for a reasonable fee.

Back