Creating a wheel painting tool

NYC_George

One of the thongs on my wheel painting tool broke off the other day so I decided to buy a new one but at $19.00 I decided to create my own tool.
I noticed an O ring I had fit perfectly over a 33 inch wheel so I reworked a clothespin to hold the wheels securely and then put on the O ring. I hand painted the wheels with some earth red Model Master acrylic paint. The clothespin makes it very easy to hold and paint.

George

wheel_painting_tool.jpg

How long/how many sets of wheels did the original tool last for?

I'm not sure Ian but the wheels get stuck if you don't remove them before the paint dries. My new tool works better because it's easier to move the wheels in the right painting position. The O rings don't get stuck. They slide right off no matter how long you wait before removing them.

Hadn't thought about that. Good info as I was looking into that tool. I like your approach much better.

One thought on your old tool since it's broken now. Could you cut of one of the fingers and use that to "mask" the wheel while your painting, then take it to the next wheel. You don't have to leave it there until it dries.

One thought on your old tool since it's broken now. Could you cut of one of the fingers and use that to "mask" the wheel while your painting, then take it to the next wheel. You don't have to leave it there until it dries.

The old tool still works but only does 3 wheel sets at a time. The main problem is they get stuck in there. I paint them go on to another project come back later and there stuck. That tool needs rubber O rings.
George

I have a pile of scrap acrylic from other projects on my laser cutter and was thinking of cutting a bunch of 4 wheelset painting fixtures for the members here. NYC-George: do you know the ID number for the O ring you are using. I could easily redesign the wheelset holder to fit with the O ring. If anyone wants a fixture just post or PM me. And let me know with or without O rings.

George: do you know the ID number for the O ring you are using.

I had a few kicking around here Kevin. I thought I must have bought them at Ace Hardware so I went down to Ace and bought 8 of them a $.33 cents each. I'll have to get back to you on the ID number I know it said, 1/2 inch.

O rings are about the only thing I don't have an assortment of. I have a few in a bag for repairing faucets, but have no idea what sizes they are. I do know that there are IDs and ODs and thicknesses galore. Just curious what size you used so I could pickup a few when I'm out and about shopping tomorrow.

Back