Recent content by x-craft

1. X

Need help Installing decoder in proto (walters) GP38-2

Being new to DCC I'm seeking some advice. I have two proto (walthers) GP38-2's #920-75008. Both run excellent and are DCC ready but there do not appear to be drop in decoders available for them. The only ones I can find that are suggested are the digitrax dz143 or the dz125. Both of these...
  2. X

Help wiring atlas turnouts for dcc

I have much of my track layed and have been running trains looking for troubles and fixing before soldering as you suggest. What you suggest for soldering the rails makes sense, if I understand correctly only solder one of the rails on each joint but alternate them as I go. I will do just that...
  3. X

Thanks Ian, I have my answer now and thank you. One more quick question though, would you solder all your rail joints? I was going to do just that but I've started soldering on my feeder wires and have added them so each section of flex track has it's own power. I was thinking the only reason to...
  4. X

Toyguy, thanks for the reply and what your saying is exactly as I suspected. It's just contradictory to what I've found including the DCC wiring book I have. The book I have doesn't make any distinction between insulated and non insulated turnouts nor does what I've found online which just makes...
  5. X

I posted this elsewhere on the site and have not gotten a response. Don't ask why I didn't post it in this catagory to start with but here I am now. I'm really hoping somebody can help me out with this relatively simple probably stupid question. I'm new to model Railroading aside from playing...
  6. X

vacuum forming

Shop vacs are used commonly but you need to have one that's really high powered or the forming will not work well. Edges will not be crisp and will be round instead leaving you with a poor looking piece. :-( I've never tried stretch forming
  7. X

insulating turnouts

Hello, I'm new to model Railroading aside from playing with toys when I was a kid and have a question here. I'm running DCC and am working on getting my track layed out, with that nearly done I'm getting close to wiring and have run into a question. Probably a stupid one but one that I can't...
  8. X

vacuum forming

I'm an avid giant scale RC Airplane nut whose taking a break due to a new baby and needed something to do around the house.....thus model railroading is something I've always wanted to do so here I am. That being said, I do a lot of detail stuff on my airplanes and built my own vacuformer and it...

Back