Recent content by weekendrailroader

1. weekendrailroader

Minecraft Traincraft

Model Railroading rule #2: No matter what creative endeavor you are about to undertake, it is possible to put a train in it. I saw a few videos about this on Youtube not too long ago. Very cool, for sure. Keep up the good work, looks like fun. :) Now, when ya going to build the D&RGW in...
  2. weekendrailroader

Issues in restarting Hobby, Old Euro stuff

I looked around on the web a bit and found this thread: http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?17297-Pizza-Cutters-Can-Anything-Be-Done It seems someone else had the same problem with pizza cutter flanges and solved the problem with a dremel and some sandpaper.
  3. weekendrailroader

Trouble with Engines Running Smoothly

Could you post or link to some photos of your engines? Maintenance and disassembly techniques are a bit different for each manufacturer and era. Some engines aren't worth putting DCC into (e.g. 1980's and 1990's train set engines), some older motors can't take DCC, and others will work just fine...
  4. weekendrailroader

Issues in restarting Hobby, Old Euro stuff

I'm fairly new to N scale, but here's a couple ideas I have which may get those trains on the right track, literally. 1). I know that their HO counterparts have received bad reviews, but have you experimented with a Bachmann N scale EZ Track turnout? That track is generally meant for...
  5. weekendrailroader

Running HO outside...

I thought about doing HO outside for awhile as well. Honestly, whilem it could work, you'd probably end up replacing a lot of track due to corrossion in the rain and buckling in the sun. The little HO pieces just aren't meant for such use and abuse. If you do want to get a start in a larger...
  6. weekendrailroader

Life-Like just got cheaper.

(I posted this over at the Tycoforums. Just thought some here might find this interesting too). Alright, so i enjoy messing around with cheap battery powered toy trains, just to see what semblance of quality they retain, and to see what I can kitbash and rebuild them into. Echo, New Bright...
  7. weekendrailroader

HELP Needing inexpensive 1/87 scale cars

Model Train Shows/expos Yard sales, and sometimes thrift stores. You're going to have to look for older rolling stock, perhaps even older Tyco and Life-Like cars and modify and detail them to make them look more like models. It sounds difficult, but there's loads of old Model Railroad...
  8. weekendrailroader

Larry

Happy Birthday to you The ballast needs glue That car needs new wheels And that car there too Pour water in the bay Send the express on its way Got to get those trains runnin' Cause today's your Birthday! Happy Birthday Larry! :)
  9. weekendrailroader

A lesson about what model railroading is...

I recently joined the tycoforums, where most of the members enjoy collecting the vintage "toy-grade" equipment that was produced by Bachmann, Lionel, Tyco, Life-Like, as well as the vintage model kits like Ambroid and Mantua. There's one guy on the forum who has the phrase "Heck with...
  10. weekendrailroader

In the Tooter Style: Weekendrailroader's New Railroad

I'm staying in a dorm. Fortunately, it's single-occupancy and I'll have a loft bed, so there should be some leftover space for the layout. :) The Black and White shot is the result of playing around with a not-so-great photo in Gimp. It's fun to see what you can do with free software tools.
  11. weekendrailroader

In the Tooter Style: Weekendrailroader's New Railroad

Hi all. :) Long story short, I'm moving to college and I wasn't going without my model trains. I've got two years at Washington State University ahead of me, and after that I'll likley be finding my own place, so it doesn't make much sense to work on my home layout. Instead, I've been working...
  12. weekendrailroader

HO anhydrous ammonia tanks

How about using the tank off of one of these 1/64th models? I had a few of the tanks and they seemed to be pretty close to HO scale. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ANHYDROUS-AMMONIA-TANK-TRAILER-1-64-SCALE-/270870580072?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item3f11250b68#ht_500wt_715
  13. weekendrailroader

Palouse Empire Rail Society?

Does anyone know if the Palouse Empire Rail Society in Pullman, WA still exists? Their website hasn't been updated since 2010, and my the email I sent them has just come back undeliverable. Does/did anyone on this board belong to the club or live in the area that knows the scoop? Thanks. :)...
  14. weekendrailroader

Weekendrailroader's latest 'bash.

Hi all. :) So, I needed a motorized truck to fit an old critter shell I had lying around, since a new HO layout I'm building has very sharp curves due to space limitations. However, I wasn't going to spend $100 for one motorized truck. So, within the space of two days, I found that spare...
  15. weekendrailroader

I know it's June but I need some Polar Express help

It looks like the font used for the Polar Express, both in the movie and the book, is Times New Roman bold. Have you considered making the decals in Microsoft Word and then printing them out with an inkjet printer onto decal paper? It might take a little experimentation to figure out what font...

Back