Recent content by Veristek

1. V

Looking for help with freight cars

I'm looking to model the Empire Builder route, with a bit of fantasy here and there. I've traveled between Chicago and Seattle by Amtrak numerous times, and I've seen BNSF tanker consists, intermodal consists, and the brown hopper consists. I've also seen coal hoppers. I'm also looking on...
  2. V

Looking for help with freight cars

Hi all, I'm looking for some help with expanding my freight rolling stock in N scale. I've spent nearly two decades building a collection of KATO models since I was in high school. I've collected passenger rolling stock (Amtrak, Eurostar, Nozomi 500, Orient Express, Morning Daylight), a bunch...
  3. V

Two track problems I'd like advice on.

How do you create 4 pairs of feeders for the crossover? I mean, how do I change one feeder pair from a KATO feeder track piece into two pairs of feeders for that track as it goes through the crossover? I apologize if that question may sound newbie-ish. I have no experience with electrical work...
  4. V

Video of fast N train

This is the train I'm referring to, flux capacitor included. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AtE54HpXBM
  5. V

A couple of questions about tracks (N-scale)

I was a bit confused by the diagrams because it had 3 different heights. The small height at the bottom, the middle height, and the other small height at the top. Again, I'm new to NMRA resources, so please bear with me as I learn the nuances of it. I tend to round up to the nearest 1/8 inch...
  6. V

Video of fast N train

Whoa, that was pretty fast! You know what you need? Add in a flux capacitor and Mr. Fusion. ;)
  7. V

Two track problems I'd like advice on.

Hi all, Newcomer here to the forums. I just noticed this N scale subforum and thought I'd repost my questions I asked over in the general discussion. I have a rather large N-scale layout, along 2 and 1/2 walls. One wall is 14 feet, the other is 12 feet, and the 1/2 wall is 5 feet. My layout is...
  8. V

I tooka look at the NMRA clearances on the S-7 PDF and the "Modern" portal is about 1 3/4". What the PDF doesn't say is whether that 1 3/4" height counts the track height or only counts the maximum train car height without the track? I ask because I'm not sure if the proper clearance using NMRA...
  9. V

When to do what when building your layout

I don't think I've ever seen a steam locomotive double-head before. That's new! I'm curious. What scale are you using? It looks like HO scale. Also, how large is your layout?
  10. V

Thanks for the suggestion, Waltr. As I'm a newcomer to these forums (signed up yesterday) and I don't know anyone else in real life who is a model railroader or has experience doing it. You guys can teach me a lot, and can help with suggestions and tips, and help me optimize my layout. I...
  11. V

Thanks for clearing up the scale question, Waltr. What's the recommended grade % for prototypical freight consists? Considering that I have 100 feet of continuous mainline track, and I read somewhere that a normal 1 mile long freight train would be approximately 33 feet long in N scale, and I'm...
  12. V

Thanks, Waltr. Is that grade the same for G, O, HO, N, and Z scales, or does the model scale change the grade, considering HO is half the size of O, and N is half the size of HO? Is a 4% grade for a O train across the same distance equal a 2% grade for a HO, and 1% grade for a N train? That is...
  13. V

How does 2% grade translate into feet / inches? Is 1 inch every 2 feet a 2% grade, or is it 5%? I could never figure out how to calculate grades correctly, especially with model railroading.
  14. V

A newcomer to the forums

I've since then corrected that problem. There was a straight track section between the diamond crossing and the 180 curve beyond. I moved the diamond crossing right up to the curve, along with the underground yard turnout, and moved that straight section to right after the turnout. The turnout...
  15. V

A newcomer to the forums

Thanks for the welcome, guys. Here's a few pics of my ongoing layout project to give you guys a better picture of it. Should be more fun than reading a wall of text, eh? ;) Much easier to see how I'm doing the double track double loop. Once it's all done, I should have about 100 feet of...

Back