Recent content by Tuna

1. Tuna

How did you get started in the hobby?

I'm a car and airplane guy but I like trains also. After getting out on my own and getting married, I always liked the idea of having a model train around the Christmas tree. Nothing more than that. Usually a plastic "G" scale kit. Somewhere along the way I noticed that there was an "Alton...
  2. Tuna

Do you lke what you do for a living?

Generally, I've enjoyed my careers but each have had good times and bad times - more good than bad for me. I'm in technical support and computer systems software development with the federal government right now. Good pay, good hours. Over the last few years, my job description has changed to...
  3. Tuna

Big Boy - DONE DEAL

Yea haaa!!!!
  4. Tuna

Athearns New Challenger

Sometimes called "elephant ears."
  5. Tuna

U.P bigboys/challengers

From a prototype view, the BigBoys and Challengers were fast articulated locomotives. Prior the them, most articulated were slow but powerful - designed to haul a lot up steep grades and around tight turns. UP needed/wanted big locomotives that could handle the turns and hills of their...
  6. Tuna

Bachmann EZ Track vs Peco

Bachmann's web site / on-line store says this switch has an 18-inch radius. I checked Kato's web site and they show their #4 turn out as being a 21 5/8 inch radius. I'm not sure what Peco's radius values are - might want to research that a bit.
  7. Tuna

Hello

I'm a steam fan like you. All my HO model locos are steam. I've chased UPs 844 a couple of times when it passed through Oklahoma and I check out steamers in museums whenever I can. It is too bad that none of the Big Boys are running. Then again I understand the cost of rebuilding and...
  8. Tuna

Coupler types

There are different sizes of "knuckle" couplers also. The smaller, closer to scale size knuckle couplers are a little more critical about height. I personally like the slightly larger "original" style knuckle couplers. I prefer Kadee but I also use McHenry couplers. I toss all horn-hook...
  9. Tuna

Metal wheels

My first choice also. Buy in bulk for future use.
  10. Tuna

Howdy From Oklahoma

Howdy - from another Okie --- Mustang, OK I've been into HO for about 12 years now and I still don't have a layout of my own. One day. I work weekends at the Oklahoma Railway Museum on full size stuff - mostly in the shop fixing them. The ORM lets me move switches some times and I flag...
  11. Tuna

Bachman 3 to 2 axle truck conversion ?

I wonder if grinding off the flanges on one axle on each end would provide the tracking wanted yet still look like it has 3 axles on each truck?
  12. Tuna

metal wheels. which is better?

I've been real happy with "Intermountain" wheels on my HO stuff.
  13. Tuna

New Member in Oklahoma City

Howdy from close by - Mustang, OK Don't forget to mark your calendar for the OKC Model Train Show the first weekend of December - Fair grounds.
  14. Tuna

Steam era Heavyweight Pullman cars

I've tried the Walther's cars on 24", 26" and 28" - they definitely like the 28" radius better. The diaphragms seem to be the issue for me especially where a #6 switch transitions to a 26" or smaller radius turn. I also think I'll remove or do something about the electrical connectors for car...
  15. Tuna

Hello from Australia.

Welcome! Are you planning to run steam, diesel or a mix?

Back