Recent content by Toyguy

1. T

Bachmann EZ Command DCC

Do yourself a favor too and look at TCS decoders. I love the ones I have and they have a simply outstanding warranty.
  2. T

Bachmann 4-8-4 Niagara help...

I had a very similar situation and on closer inspection found there was still a small piece of packing foam tucked into the front and rear trucks.
  3. T

I need local help

When the PowerCab keeps re-initializing like that, it generally means you have a short, not a lack of power.
  4. T

understanding couplers

Think of it this way. Kadee makes 3 different coupler head configurations - one where the centerline of the head and shank line up, one where the head centerline is below the shank centerline, and one where the head centerline is above the shank centerline. Those last two are the underset and...
  5. T

Switchlist Generators

If you ever feel the need to take Operations further, check out ProTrak. It's on the expensive side, but it works beautifully and the tech support is the best of any software I have ever owned, bar none.
  6. T

Bachmann Decoder Question

Probably :) Seriously, though, the board itself isn't the problem. Since you are DCC already, the motor is properly isolated. You'd simply unplug/unsolder the other decoder and replace it with the new one. The big problem, as it usually is, is where to put the speaker and which speaker to...
  7. T

what system do you run.

Each has their strengths and weaknesses so yes, it's very much personal preference. For me, I run both. I chose an NCE PowerCab for my Z-scale switching puzzle layout, that I take to shows, because it's easier to move around, very compact, and will handle any number of Z locos I might ever ask...
  8. T

Bachmann Decoder Question

Typically, you'll be hard pressed to find the space for two individual boards - not impossible, just tougher, depending on scale. I'd probably just look to replace the built-in one with a Tsunami or QSI.
  9. T

Decoder questions

The main PowerCab handheld must remain plugged in. You can freely move a second throttle around though.
  10. T

Decoder questions

You might also want to look into TCS decoders. They have a great selection and an awesome warranty. This is a direct quote from their website: We will repair/replace the decoder even if you accidentally damage it. If you fry it during installation, they will replace it. Although they...
  11. T

good cheap dcc starter unit

The two top contenders are probably the Digitrax Zephyr Xtra and the NCE PowerCab. You may want to try and see if you can get some hands-on time with each of them. Straight from the box, the NCE is a walk-around unit with a tethered throttle, where the Zephyr is a fixed-place unit. Both can...
  12. T

Digitrax Zephyr or NCE Power Cab

I have both a Digitrax Super Chief Extra and an NCE PowerCab. Both are fine systems and each have their own quirks. I went Digitrax for my HO layout as I intend to automate that with Railroad & Co TrainController software and Loconet has NCE beat hands down in that area in my opinion. The NCE...
  13. T

what do you use to uncouple?

I was having a lot of problems with the Kadee magnetic uncouplers until I did two things: Upgrade every car with genuine Kadee couplers and make use of the Kadee coupler height gauge to ensure that couplers are on center and the trip pin heights are correct. One of the best little tools you...
  14. T

MRC Prodigy Express

The most significant reply made here was the one about interfacing with JMRI. Last I knew, MRC refused to release the necessary information to allow interfacing with JMRI, for one. If you have any intention of using DecodePro to manage your loco fleet decoders, or have any interest in JMRI for...
  15. T

Stripping wires

With the really small decoder-type wires I can usually do it with my fingernails.

Back