Recent content by thaddeusthudpucker

1. thaddeusthudpucker

NCE decoders for RTR quickplug locos

Since he is in Australia, I think it may be a bit difficult... Unless his profile info is old.
  2. thaddeusthudpucker

NCE decoders for RTR quickplug locos

There really is not a guaranteed one-size-fits-all for either thing. For the decoders, NCE D13SRP is the 8-pin version and D13SRJ is the 9-pin version. I like getting the J's and using the included wiring harness to get rid of the stock manufacturer board. On LED's I like Miniatronics Yeloglo...
  3. thaddeusthudpucker

HO Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern Greyhound

Can I send you mine to get this treatment done to it? =P Nice work, especially that backhead. I am impressed.
  4. thaddeusthudpucker

I have a small dilemma.

Nice track plan, I am just reading this thread for the first time tonight. If I might suggest a couple of things: Where the lower peninsula Industrial district is, put a tail track to enable switching without fouling the main. I like to leave one train running while working another. Same for...
  5. thaddeusthudpucker

Diaphragms on HO passenger cars

I have used three of these cars to make an approximation of the cars used at Mount Rainier Scenic Railroad (681, 901, 902). I have to agree, out of the box the spacing was horrendous. I used Sergent compatible shank couplers in Kadee boxes to shorten the gap way up. I eyeballed the position of...
  6. thaddeusthudpucker

Does anyone share my view of not needing scenery?

Your layout is whatever you want it to be. Do not let anyone tell you it is not good enough because you didn't do X or should have done Y. Having fun with it is what counts.
  7. thaddeusthudpucker

HO scale speedometer

Just put JMRI on an old desktop you have, it works pretty well with Windows XP, of which there are a bout a gajillion surplus machines all over the place. I am unsure of why you need to spend $400 for a JMRI machine, and JMRI itself is free.
  8. thaddeusthudpucker

Looking for 10x16 ft. HO layout feedback

Soldering to the rails provides a more reliable connection. With a little practice it is easily done.
  9. thaddeusthudpucker

Looking for 10x16 ft. HO layout feedback

I do believe the conventional way is to solder the feeders after the track is laid, lest you wind up with a feeder right on top of a cross member. Once the track is down a quick zap with a 1/8" drill bit right between the ties on the outside of the rail gets you the hole, I like to come around...
  10. thaddeusthudpucker

TT scale railroad project

Oh Oh Oh My mistake I thought we were talking about 1:450 T gauge not 1:120 TT scale... I knew a British TT modeler who said that the advantage was the presence of HO scale in the compactness of N.
  11. thaddeusthudpucker

TT scale railroad project

Have you considered a 3D printed town? At 1:450 stuff is tiny and does not eat up a ton of material which is how 3D printing is charged.
  12. thaddeusthudpucker

Locomotive keeps loosing power dcc

It's okay, my track is on the carpet at the moment too. Not everyone can have an actual layout all the time... Being that it is EZ track, it actually isn't that hard to make a terminal piece out of any hunk of track. Drill a 1/16" hole next to the outside of the rail and solder on a bit of...
  13. thaddeusthudpucker

Locomotive keeps loosing power dcc

Try adding another set of feeder wires at the furthest point away from your command station. Also try cleaning the wheels of your locomotives and your track, they do still oxidize when not running. Run a bright boy around the layout. Put a few drops of light oil onto a paper towel and run the...
  14. thaddeusthudpucker

Milwaukee Road Passenger F-units

What was the nature of the Proto breakdowns?
  15. thaddeusthudpucker

Critique my layout

What size steam locomotives are you planning on running? You will be able to run small to medium sized power, buy anything larger than a 4-6-4 is going to look too large for this layout, especially with 22" radius and #6 turnouts. Try rethinking with a minimum of 30. You will not have a lot of...

Back