Recent content by swhalen

1. S

NCE Power Cab Amnesia

I feel dumb -- but also enlightened. Thanks!!
  2. S

NCE Power Cab Amnesia

Hi there, I've been using my NCE Power Cab starter set for a while now on my Twin Peaks HO scale layout, and I've only gotten around now to posting about this despite it being so annoying. The gist of the annoyance is that if I have two locos that I want to run, say loco A and loco B, and if I...
  3. S

Ballasting Problem: Scenic Express N Scale Blended Ballast Clumps up When Gluing No Matter What I Try

Thanks to every one of you who replied with suggestions. I figured it out thanks to your help. The solution (pun intended): 1) The biggest issue: I wasn't wetting the ballast nearly enough. 2) There's no point in waiting two minutes before gluing, since the alcohol will just evaporate. While I...
  4. S

Ballasting Problem: Scenic Express N Scale Blended Ballast Clumps up When Gluing No Matter What I Try

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, so please let me know if this isn't the right place to post this. I am in the finishing stages of my first HO scale layout, but when ballasting a section of my track with Scenic Express's N scale blended ballast I ran into a major issue despite following my...
  5. S

Which Speaker to Upgrade an HO Scale Rapido F40PH "Cabbage" from DC to DCC with Sound?

Hi everyone, I have two beautiful HO Scale Rapido F40 NPCUs that are currently only wired for DC operation. I'd love to add DCC sound and lighting functionality, and saw that Rapido suggests the ESU #59529 - LokPilot 5 DCC with 21MTC decoder in their manual for the locomotive, but here's my...
  6. S

Can I Legally Count My Trains as Capital Investments For Tax Purposes in the US?

Thank you guys so much for your thoughtful and thorough replies. I had the opportunity to speak with a tax attorney in the meantime and he was able to confirm what a lot of you had said: that to be able to declare model trains as capital assets, I would have to start a company and keep rigorous...
  7. S

Can I Legally Count My Trains as Capital Investments For Tax Purposes in the US?

Hi there, I'm very new to this forum, so please let me know if I'm unwittingly breaking any rules by posting this. I recently moved into an apartment with enough space to build my first HO scale layout. As soon as I realized that I could build a layout, I began a buying spree on eBay of any...

Back