Recent content by skillman

1. S

Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Good to know you pulled through. I'll need someone to talk with when I retire. 4 months away. Stay healthy.
  2. S

Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Yea Jim, I got the same notice. Free turns to Pay Me Now!!! Simple blackmale but what you gonna do. Several forums I'm on are going to get hit again. Not the first time. Seems like it was the plan all along.
  3. S

Wpf 7-21-15 - 7-28-15

Love it. The markers and lighting really add to it. Now for a little weathering.
  4. S

Are model trains a good investment

Short answer-----NO!
  5. S

Rebuilt reefer

Great idea. Something to do with junk mail besides light the fire. Steve
  6. S

Painted backdrop

I love the second picture. A time machine into my youth. Steve
  7. S

Getting Started--how?

I've been out of it for some time but never got rid of my stuff because I plan on getting back into it. I was and am a builder. I made a lot of my stuff. Kits, kitbash, or from scratch. Probably more parts and kits available in HO than any scale but if you build then any scale is ok. I've always...
  8. S

Models are never finished

Some of my most treasured items are or were castoffs picked up at swapmeets and rebuilt or used to rebuild others into what I wanted at that time. Imagination and a little creativity are the most valuable tools. Steve
  9. S

Layout video using I-pad

I'm impressed. I wonder if I could do the same thing with my laptop. Yours has a very good effect. I also love the lumber loads. Steve
  10. S

Turnouts explained please

FWIW. Tortoise switch machines are called that because of their slow movement. They have been around much longer than DCC. Steve
  11. S

Boxcar rebuild

I used to love coming home from the swap meets with basket case projects and making jewels out of them. The old craftsman kits were the best. So many possibilities. Nice work. Steve
  12. S

Lumber loads

Those do look very good. I have similar loads on old Athearn flats. I'm always amused when I see loads that are supposedly on pre-60s trains that are strapped down or wrapped. Lumber bracing was almost free and labor was cheap. I grew up in a family in the logging/milling business in the Olympia...
  13. S

Is Your Layout DC or DCC

I have never had a layout with DCC because when I was active, it was just starting to come in. I'm sure it has lots to recommend it and If I were starting again I would probably set up with it. This debate reminds me of Kadee couplers many years ago. They were more realistic, worked better, and...
  14. S

Diorama finished!

Very nice. I find that even with my digital camera, natural light gives me the best result. Nothing looks more like sunlight than sunlight. FWIW, if you put curved corners in your backdrop it will look more realistic. No corners showing up. Steve
  15. S

Sometimes less is more

I like the lumber loads. I have several very similar. The nice thing about small trains is that you can have very well detailed cars in it and all will be noticed. Long trains are kind of overwhelming. Steve

Back