Recent content by robjacox

1. 1st completed project in a long time: BNSF 7695

1st completed project in a long time: BNSF 7695

Pretty excited to finally be finished with my first major project in many years. This is a friend's Tower 55 ES44DC that I repainted from NP "fantasty" colors to BNSF H3/Swoosh. We chose the experimental yellow-lettered 7695 since we figured T55 would be releasing the standard...
  2. R

Athearn RTR SW1500 headlights

I just got a screaming deal on a new/unused Athearn RTR SW1500 complete shell to upgrade an older Blue-Box SW1500. The upgraded detailing is OUTSTANDING, I am more than impressed. But with all the grinding and filing I had to do on the old chassis to make the new shell fit, I should have just...
  3. R

Question about using airbrush & floquil paint

That answers that... I like Floquil for painting anything unless I'm putting decals on it. Since it dries flat, you either have to add gloss to it, or spray it with a gloss coat. I've never gotten good results putting a gloss coat over a dull coat. It always ends up "satin" and I have a head...
  4. R

Question about using airbrush & floquil paint

Are you referring to Floquil's Pollyscale acrylics or their old-school lacquers? (Is lacquer the same as enamel?) For the old stuff, which I still have a large collection of, I thin it 25% with hardware store lacquer thinner, and can spray on plastic with no ill effects. I use a...
  5. R

Brewery/Bottling plant?

I have a small 2x10 shelf railroad under construction. A small brewery complex is planned for one end along the backdrop. I was planning on having a warehouse for outbound loads of beer - room for two or three insulated box cars. Then on an adjacent track I would have an unloading area for...
  6. R

Athearn 50' flat car brakewheel upgrade

My cars will be all be carrying lumber. How is the shaft mounted? Is there a housing on the end sill of the car?
  7. R

walthers trainline, quality of units?

I was only referring to their exquisite detailing & fragile parts. Things don't run too smoothly on our club layout, and derailments and other mishaps happen not 1/87 as often as the prototype, but at least 87 times more often. I just don't worry as much as about the Walthers units as I would...
  8. R

Athearn 50' flat car brakewheel upgrade

I've got a few older Athearn 50' flat cars that I'm working on getting upgradedd and "loaded". They have a strange brakewheel mounting on a housing sticking up from the side of the car. I think the brakewheel should be mounted near the end, with the shaft verticle. I've been unable to find...
  9. R

walthers trainline, quality of units?

I just picked up three B40-8/W's from a friend in a trade. He is upgrading to Atlas units, which offer FAR better detailing, hands-down. However, they are incredibly smooth running units. They are perfect "club runners", I've got no problem runnning them around the club layout, whereas my...
  10. R

BNSF Orange

Like the old-school Floquil, not Pollyscale (which some guys refer to in my parts as "Floquil"?)
  11. R

BNSF Orange

I am in the process of repainting a Tower 55 ES44DC into BNSF's current swoosh/power-bar for a friend. I've always used Scalecoat I or II paint, I love how it sprays and covers, and has always had accurate colors. However, myself, my son, the owner of the loco, and even my wife think the...
  12. R

Atlas dual-mode lights in analog mode

I have an Atlas GP40 with factory dual-mode decoder. I don't have DCC, but once on a friend's layout we ran it on DCC and "played around" a little with it. I don't like directional lighting, so I think we programmed it to be selectable for forward/reverse. That was 18 months ago. I noticed last...
  13. NP 5002

NP 5002

1-1/2" scale Northern Pacific "Yellowstone" 2-8-8-4 #5002. Just completed this year by a member of the Central Oregon Area Live Steamers (COALS) in Bend, OR.
  14. R

Athearn SD40-2 - old vs. new

Thanks for the info. Looks like a good upgrade for my old SD40-2's! I never liked the old style shell mounting anyway.
  15. R

Athearn SD40-2 - old vs. new

How different are the "new" Athearn SD40-2 shells from the old? I know they don't have the "pin" style mounting lugs. There are a bunch of new-style shells available on eBay, I'd like to update some of my old-style chassis. What is involved here?

Back