Recent content by RJasonB

1. R

anybody got 2k i can borrow

In all fairness to the seller, I think it reasonable to call the loco 'rare.' The 4014 (listed), 4004, 4006, 4012, and 4017 were the cab numbers produced in the first release. I have no idea how many of these locos MTH produced, but I do know that they are hard to come by. Just watch eBay or...
  2. R

another sad MTH TALE

If you have 45+ minutes to burn, watch both videos and listen carefully to the things he did, both after initial set up in the first video, and after MTH support in the second half of the second video. This is all about operator error. "Tweaking" this and "programming" that. You simply cannot...
  3. R

another sad MTH TALE

DCS is not DCC. Simple as that. MTH doesn't force anything on anyone. They are very up front that DCS is not DCC. To purchase a $600+ MTH loco is a choice and there is plenty of information available both from MTH and the modeling community to help one make the choice. MTH entered the HO...
  4. R

MTH New release for 2014

I experienced a similar disappointment when building my Walther's modern roundhouse. I wanted a total of six extended stalls, so over a period of one year, I bought six separate kits. The last two kits I received were packaged differently... smaller box, different graphics, etc. I figured the...
  5. R

MTH New release for 2014

I have four of the first release Big Boys (4005, 4006, 4014, 4017) and Challenger 3985. Still on the hunt for 4012. I've always been happy with them and never felt I paid too much... although I won't admit how much 3985 cost me. To my eyes, they look great. To my ears, they sound far better...
  6. R

Converting Bachmann Spectrum Heavyweights to LED lights

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I've considered the Easy Peezy's, but I'm not so sure I want to be physically handling (disassembling) my coaches every time I need a battery replacement. Could be the best option in the end, though. I suppose it would be a fairly simple mod to mash up a...
  7. R

Converting Bachmann Spectrum Heavyweights to LED lights

Anyone have experience doing this? I have a set of Bachmann Spectrum Heavyweight passenger cars (7 total). My layout is DCC-powered and I operate using NCE Power Cab... 2 amp maximum. I want to convert the passenger car lights from incandescent to LED. Rather than reinvent the proverbial...
  8. R

MTH DCS Remote Commander (newbie question)

Have you tried "adding" the locomotive? Once added, you should then be able to select it and send commands.
  9. R

My Big Boy

black with graphite smoke box and fire box
  10. R

Removing solder

For my current project, this will be to remove drop down feeders. I want the solder completely removed so that I can reuse the flex track. I want the rails as smooth as possible sot that the spikes do not bind up on the rails. Thanks for the solder wick solution. I knew here had to be...
  11. R

Removing solder

Any tips for removing solder from nickel-silver rails? It seems obvious that an application of heat is neccessary, but i'm wondering if anyone has discovered a slick way to coerce the solder off the rail once it is in a fluid state. Thanks and happy MRR'ing.
  12. R

Rotary Switch for Roundhouse Stalls

Thanks for the replies! John P, the switch listed in the link looks like what I am after, but I am concerned about the 0.3 amp contact rating. My DCC locos with sound draw about 0.46 amps each when running. I typically run only two locos on the line, but have times when other locos will also...
  13. R

Rotary Switch for Roundhouse Stalls

Any suggestions for a rotary switch that would be appropriate for directing rail power to a 12-stall roundhouse? I presently have six DCC locos parked in the roundhouse. All of the stall tracks are live when there is power to the layout. It appears that, even when idle/off, the DCC locos draw...
  14. R

Lets do it again Favorite photo

3985 rolling onto the turntable.
  15. R

stop the press!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My speculative $0.02 would do little to further this thread. Much has been said. Much will be said. Much is known. Much is unknown but to a few. Suffice to say, I'm... Stoked!

Back