Recent content by riogrande5761

1. R

Women in model railroading

My wife and I took a trip out to Utah and stopped at the Greely Museum. She was there. We also saw her at Timonium a year later.
  2. R

Jim's Layout Progress

Have laid quite a bit of plaster gauze - into my 3rd 5lb roll now which I hope is enough but have a 4th roll if need be: Pretty soon it will be time to start buttering on plaster - I need to pick up some Quikcrete color to color the plaster. Most recently have been putting in a thin...
  3. R

Jim's Layout Progress

Helix is up on risers and I've leveled it. The sheet shown is how I calculated the thickness of the level supports as they go around at the same grade as the helix 1.73% Bottom track is now connected to the end of the staging yard. Also cut in more turnouts at this end of the yard.
  4. R

Jim's Layout Progress

Main yard going in. First thing was to get the centerlines marked based on the geometry of the turnouts, which include a Walthers #6 double slip, a Walthers #8 curved and the rest are #6 Peco code 83 turnouts. Most of the track centers are 2 inches but a couple are a bit more. I plan to use...
  5. R

Jim's Layout Progress

Laid Peco code 83 track on the mainline cork cut and test hung two parts of vinyl flashing the curved area's: I"m using cardboard strips and hot glue again to form the basic scenery base.
  6. R

Jim's Layout Progress

All the mainline cork is down Added hardboard for backdrops and finished cork Finally getting the odd day here and there to work on the layout. Mostly I've been working on the backdrops and fascia. The strips in the background is to support a vinyl flashing that will curve around and...
  7. R

Jim's Layout Progress

I'll try to get this thread up to the present. Here is some more in the chronological progress: The mainline has reached a point that I am having to get the main yard supports in. This time around I'm using threaded rods to support the outer edge of the upper level. Upper yard supports...
  8. R

Jim's Layout Progress

Profile Messages Welcome riogrande. Logout The Atlas Rescue Forum ... Jim's layout topic/blog Edit Post Edit Post Subject: Add Attachment Jim's layout topic/blog
  9. R

Jim's Layout Progress

Next the staging yard was put in with Homasote and code 100 flex with Peco large turnouts. I saved all my track from my last layout and thought I might have nearly enough code 100 flex for this staging yard but other than a bundle used on curves (one rail shorter), I just ran out of...
  10. R

Jim's Layout Progress

I began erecting benchwork at the end of 2019 after I finished the basement DIHY and it had passed inspection. Here are the first pieces going up. The rest photos here follow the main benchwork construction. I re-used two 2x8' sections from an old layout and will be adding on. I've lowered...
  11. R

Benchwork Construction - My Lessons Learned

I live in northern Virginia and the Home Depot stores here carry Homasote.
  12. R

Helix from Trackside Scenery

That's it basically. If you build the helix and the put it on the floor it would lean like the leaning tower of Pizza. So you need to "level it" per Joey of Trackside Scenery. To level it, you need to put supports under each riser. Basically you need a minimum of 11 supports, even though...
  13. R

When it came time to build it it made no sense that the risers all had the same base, that's when Joey said I needed to level it. I was able to figure it out but it might be confusing to some. I agree, it would be good if he could put a figure on the website showing the bottom of the risers...
  14. R

I'm guessing DJ is wondering about why the risers don't go up a bit each time. Basically, the risers only separate the levels of the helix based on standard or extended (extended give a bit more head room if you use a base or subroadbed. In my case I used 2 2/3 circles of Atlas code 100 flex...
  15. R

Benchwork Construction - My Lessons Learned

I haven't posted any updates for a while. I put up hardboard for scene dividers and also hardboard fascia. And then added cardboard strips with hot glue to fill in basic scenery sub-base. Then after that covering it with plaster gauze. Next will be colored plaster. Main yard going in...

Back