Recent content by RickVS

1. R

Loco spinning its wheels

If it were a simple traction problem, then wouldn't it make sense that that engine would have similarly poor performance on curves around the track and not just in one area? I would add that it does at times hesitate at different areas of the track but it doesn't stall at those places.
  2. R

Loco spinning its wheels

These locos are only a couple of months old, so I can't see that there would be wear or technical issues with them.
  3. R

Loco spinning its wheels

Hi. No I don't think so. Just on the first loco.
  4. R

Loco spinning its wheels

I have an oval in my office where I run an N scale train. I have 27 cars and 2 identical Bachmann GP40 locos running back to back. It's been running mostly fine for a while but today the lead loco started stalling and spinning its wheels when it came to one curved section of the flat track. So I...
  5. R

Irregular running of my locos

Thanks. When both locos stop, it doesn't seem that all the wheels on both locos hit dirt all at the same time. If the lead loco stops, I still don't see why the second loco doesn't either keep pushing the first loco or spin its wheels trying as it would still be powered.
  6. R

Thanks. I have the gray NS EZ track. I can use progressively finer sandpaper as you say. I've read that you put the goop on the track and run the locos around for a while. I've also read that you put the goop on the track and leave it for 24 hours then wipe it off with a clean cloth. How did you...
  7. R

Hi everyone. I have a simple N scale RR on my desk in my office. I have two GP-40 locos with a 23 car train running on E-Z Track. I run my train for a few hours a day. On Friday I cleaned the track with 1,000 grit sandpaper and cleaned the loco wheels with alcohol on a rag. The train ran...
  8. R

Newbie Coupling Problems

Thanks everyone. I got rid of the elevated pier system and went to an oval flat track which eliminated 98% of my problems. I do have other issues that I'll start a new post with.
  9. R

6 axle vs 4 axle locos

Thanks for all of the good feedback. Sorry for the long post. I think for Christmas I'm going to treat myself to a couple 6 wheel locos to replace my 4 axles, but really just because it looks better and may help prevent stalling, not because I'm having problems getting up my grade. So some...
  10. R

Newbie Coupling Problems

Hi everyone. I thought it would be fun to buy a small Bachmann N scale train set and set it up in my office. I keep having some issues however that are frustrating, one of which is my cars and engines decouple for no reason. I bought a bunch of knuckle coupler cars on eBay, and added a second...
  11. R

6 axle vs 4 axle locos

Bachmann GP40s. They are identical. Do track cleaning cars work? People with larger layouts can’t be having these issues I would think
  12. R

6 axle vs 4 axle locos

The problem resolves itself if I clean the wheels but it seems that I have to clean them every day. I wasn’t anticipating this much maintenance. Not an issue if the train is moving at a decent clip but my desire is for a steady really slow speed.
  13. R

6 axle vs 4 axle locos

Thanks. It does seem if the rails and loco wheels are pristine, my two GP40 locos can pull my train up my grade. What seems to stop things are the smallest amount of accumulating dirt. If one loco loses electrical contact, then the other loco isn't powerful enough to pull the train and the...
  14. R

6 axle vs 4 axle locos

Good thoughts. The train is 18 cars long and goes up 48" of track to a height of 2". I did have an issue with the 2 axle engine not being firmly on the track at the high point of the grade, but I lowered the top piers and it fixed the problem. It's a 2.1 % grade.
  15. R

6 axle vs 4 axle locos

Oh, okay. I guess I could just go with two AC6000CWs. It's only money, right? :) Unfortunately I don't have $300 at the moment. The other thing I am finding is that my RR is really susceptible to start and stop operation. It seems that the tracks and wheels get dirty really quickly. I didn't...

Back