Recent content by Mixed Freight

1. M

Rerailers?

Yep. Trip pin length & radius variations are quite normal, even when new. They all need to be checked, whether a brand new car already comes equipped with them, or you install them yourself. That's just the way it is. Some folks, who don't do magnetic uncoupling, will simply cut the trip...
  2. M

Rerailers?

Actually, Kadee trip pin clearance recommendations are really only necessary for optimal performance if you plan on using their uncoupling magnets. If you are not planning on using magnetic uncoupling, you might consider even more clearance yet to really avoid snagging on rerailers, turnouts...
  3. M

Anyone want to make certain areas of your railroad invisible?

I keep trying to open the links, but they keep disappearing.
  4. M

Rerailers?

I got into the habit of using rerailers on my N-scale layouts, even though I am fully capable of doing proper track laying. I work them in as vehicle crossing pads, whether paved or gravel roads. Just extra insurance when running the trains. It seems like no matter how good your track work...
  5. M

Techniques for Painting/weathering Wooden Loading Dock

I've used old, dirty, enamel paint thinner as a stain before. Such as small bottles of Testors and Pactra enamel paint thinner, dirty from cleaning paint brushes of blacks, grays, browns, red oxides, whites, and any other flat, earthy colors. Shake the bottle up, apply the "stain", and enjoy.
  6. M

This has a John Allen feeling to it.....

I can almost imagine Emma the organic switcher rumbling out of the engine house.
  7. M

Atlas #56 turnout switch

I kinda' figured that is what you had in mind. I might have done the same thing.
  8. M

Atlas #56 turnout switch

You are correct. You can bypass the electrical switch and take the common wire straight to the center terminal of the turnout solenoids. Then run the hot wire to the electrical switches, and two hot wires from each switch to a turnout solenoid outer terminals, one for each direction of throw...
  9. M

Smaller engines

Yeah, I know. Disgusting, ain't I? 🤪
  10. M

Smaller engines

I have no problem with companies producing giant articulated locomotives and other massive behemoths that need fairly large minimum radius curves in order to be able to run them. I just don't buy them. No problem. :)👍 (And I have a whole 1,500+ sqr. ft. basement darned near all to myself, my...
  11. M

Model RR mags

Well, to be right honest, Bachmann EZ-Track isn't necessarily the greatest track system out there, in my opinion. For beginners and intermediates, Atlas N-scale Code 80 track would be a better choice, especially if you want to try ballasting your own track. Or if you prefer built-in roadbed...
  12. M

plywood vs OSB

I have a 4' x 8' N-scale layout that I built over 20 years ago with a cheap plywood top on 1 x 4 framing. And fully scenic'd with all water-based scenery supplies. It has held up just fine, even without sealing the substrate. Our local N-scale and HO-scale modular train clubs have modules...
  13. M

plywood vs OSB

Sorry, but I disagree with this. This wood is too hard, too heavy, and too expensive. Furniture grade plywoods are not necessary for model railroad benchwork, in my opinion. Regular ol' plywood with one side sanded is more than adequate enough for model railroad use. Heck, for larger scales...
  14. M

The 395 Floodlight Tower

Looks great!👍 Something to keep in mind as far as light bulbs go................ Don't pay extra for a 14 volt bulbs if you can find 12 volt automotive bulbs cheaper that will fit. Reason being: Automotive charging systems normally operate at right around 14+ volts anyway, the whole time the...

Back