Recent content by jfugate

1. jfugate

Model Railroad Hobbiest

Just discovered this thread Just discovered this thread and wanted to say thanks for the feedback. While kudos are nice, it's the critical feedback that will help us make a better free magazine for all. Wanted to mention we're going monthly as of January, if you haven't heard.
  2. jfugate

Model Railroad Hobbyist: A Threat to MR?

Yep, nothing like competition I guess Well, for what it's worth, I don't intend to censor posts over on the MRH site. Of course there's the issue of flame wars and such, but as long as people play nice, links to other magazines don't bother me.
  3. jfugate

Just out of curiousity, I wonder what MR would do if you posted a link to the RMC web site?
  4. jfugate

Just something to ponder ... Roughly 70% of Americans are online (that is browse the web or read emails at home or at work at least once a week). Over 85% of those under 55 are online. About 30% of those 55 or older are online. Based on statistics I've seen, I would estimate well over half of...
  5. jfugate

Interesting thread, guys. There's no question the web used properly to distribute railroad and model railroad-related content that's been professionally edited is a powerful new medium. The Railway Herald numbers certainly prove that. The MRH site is not yet two months old and has had over...
  6. jfugate

Model Railroad publications

Just a quick post to say that things have changed a lot since this thread started up 6 months ago ... Model Railroading and Mainline modeler have ceased publication, and word is Railmodel Journal is next ... So that puts us back to what, MR, RMC, and Model Railroad News -- and maybe a few...
  7. jfugate

Anyone seen the Pic on P43 of the May Model Railroader?

Agreed. A very invigorating discussion. I've been enjoying it imensely, and I appreciate the contrary views presented. Good grist for the old thought mill. :D
  8. jfugate

Grande: Yes, that's the root of it for me ... if you can combine prototype and modeling elements digitally in the same image and they result in a seamless impressive image, that has to say the most about the modeling skill. The digital part isn't really the big factor when the integration looks...
  9. jfugate

Mark: Your point about being able to actually see the "fakery" in person is well taken. As to my use of the terms art and artist, I wasn't thinking in the high-browed sense you reference. I was thinking more in the sense of what looks "cool" to the eye as opposed to what takes a lot of...
  10. jfugate

Hmmm ... putting digitally enhanced photos in a magazine is enough to make you drop the magazine? What about layout videos that dub in prototype sounds? Boycott the video producer for doing such a thing? While I can understand this viewpoint if the images are passed off as real, but digital...
  11. jfugate

Spline Roadbed

I never found the need to "spend considerable time smoothing the tops of the spline" when I did the solid masonite spline on my Ho Siskiyou Line. I just took a reasonable amount of care when gluing the spline and then a quick pass (couple minutes) with a sureform plane did the trick. I lay...
  12. jfugate

Buss Wiring - Examples

http://www.trains.com/community/forum/topic.asp?page=1&TOPIC_ID=36389 I'd like to post an updated version in the clinics section on here when I get time.
  13. jfugate

Magazines I was almost in.....

I guess I fail to see what all the flap is about. They aren't going to publish you in Model Railroad Planning but instead publish you in MR? That's how I took the "future" part. I'd rather be in MR to MRP -- MR has at least double the circulation of MRP. I doubt the black helicopters over...
  14. jfugate

At what height should I build?

That's fine, but make sure you mock it up at various heights for a few days each just to make sure. A lot easier to change your mind now than after you build it only to find out you would rather it be a different height. I did several height mockups on my Siskiyou Line before settling on the...
  15. jfugate

At what height should I build?

Years ago, the Layout Design Special Interest Group did a survey of layout owners, many of them well known (like Allen McClelland of the V&O fame) and asked them what their layout height was, and if they were to rebuild, would they go higher, lower, or the same? The layouts were in the 40" -...

Back