Recent content by jackn2mpu

1. J

steel mill pics

Linder1: Like the pics; ex-steel worker myself at the mostly gone US Steel Fairless Works in Pennsylvania. I know you said you're freelancing and that's cool. Something I would like to mention though is to have some way for the coal that gets dumped at the rotary to get to the towers at the...
  2. J

Am I the only one....

You're not alone; at least one big time modeler did just what you did. David Barrow when he tore down his Cat Mountain & Santa Fe he just built a Plywood Prairie in modules of his own design with Atlas code 100 rail IIRC. Don't know if he still has that one or not.
  3. J

Dremel cut off wheels for cutting track

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I started this thread is I have to cut several gaps in existing track so I needed some ideas of what I could use that would allow me to do the job safely. Safety glasses with sideshields always at the ready.
  4. J

I was only astonished as I remember using the old hand Zona saws for cutting track. I'd imagine the teeth are finer on a saw wheel than the Zona making it easier to use and you don't get any chatter from the blade?
  5. J

Train carrying cases?

Haven't purchased a Genesis in years when they came out with the hO Light Mikes; the ones I have have foam inserts for inside the cardboard boxes. Looks like these take a different tack and store the rolling stock and engines upright instead of on their sides which will help in not having the...
  6. J

You use a saw blade in your Dremel tool? Don't think I've seen one they say can be used on metal although I may well be wrong.
  7. J

Train carrying cases?

I have read the whole thread. If you had said exactly which box you were referring to then that would have been better but you didn't. I was referring specifically to the Axian products of which I have 10 from quite a few years ago and the foam they used causes the problem I'm talking about...
  8. J

Just checked out that Dremel 545 diamond wheel - expensive but there's one other problem - it's not recommended for use on metal. And I thought I'd found something that would work. Looks like it's back to fiberglass disks.
  9. J

Thanks for the link - looks like just what I need. I always use safety glasses when working with my Dremel as you never know where stuff will fly, especially if you catch an edge of something and bing there go pieces of shrapnel.
  10. J

Train carrying cases?

What are you talking about? I'm talking about the type of foam that's in the cardboard boxes meant for carrying HO trains - I've had that stuff stick to some of my rolling stock. Makes the cars look like hell. The ones I have came from an outfit in Arizona years back that advertised in the model...
  11. J

Looking for a good recommendation on cutoff wheels for a Dremel rotary tool for cutting gaps in track. Some of the ones I've tried have broken apart with the first touch to a rail - granted they were thin ones but thicker ones would give too big of a gap to my way of thinking. Online source if...
  12. J

Train carrying cases?

Something to think about that most people don't is with the foam lined boxes/cases detail parts can stick to the foam and get pulled off the models. That and the bodies of some models like boxcars can stick to the foam and some of the foam comes off stuck to the body; have had that happen on...
  13. J

The Construction of the Ashland Iron & Steel Blast Furnace

Just to let you know I doubt you'll find new bottles of Tenax or stuff that hasn't gone stale. I think it was taken off the market a couple of years ago. But if you can get it it does work quick and don't work with it unless you have a supply of fresh air. And don't work with it in a room where...
  14. J

Carstens Publishing and RMC

Update: Just got the January issue of RMC today. Something someone mentioned about why worry when one get's an issue: how about all the show notices and time-limited sales or club events? It's the pits when I see an event I would have liked to have known about and I don't get wind of it until...
  15. J

Carstens Publishing and RMC

Not really. It's about consistency of product delivery which speaks volumes about the care going into a product. Also it's about whether stuff gets lost in transport as well.

Back