Recent content by J.Albert

1. J.Albert

P2k gear issue. No not that one, completely different

I'm look at the pic in reply 19 above. Look CAREFULLY at the truck. Look at the right-hand side frame. It's not "in" all the way. There's where you side-play is coming in. Take the truck OFF the locomotive -- all the way. You'll have to disconnect some wiring, too. Take it fully apart, then...
  2. J.Albert

Quite the beast!!!!!!!!!

If you want an engine that will last ... get an EMD. That thing must be approaching 70 years old...!
  3. J.Albert

Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Jaz wrote above in #985: "We wish, why do you think trains derail on helix…" You could use the superelevated Kato Unitrack curved sections ... :cool:
  4. J.Albert

Re the BNSF storage video in #502 above... Lots of gensets (a design and operational failure) and GE's. EMD's? Not very many. Why is that?
  5. J.Albert

If you were to work for a railroad, which one would it be and what position?

"what does a "fireman" do after 1959?" On the commuter trains from Danbury (CT) to New York City, the fireman kept the steam heat going in the winter. I must have lost a little bit of hearing going back in those FL-9's to check the boilers a few times each trip. In winter, there was also a...
  6. J.Albert

Troy - Congrats on the new MacBook Pro. You may already know about MacRumors.com, but if you don't, that's the place to go for Mac questions. Forums are at forums.macrumors.com
  7. J.Albert

New DCC layout, command station opinion requested.

Freesco... I know that the z21 apps (both the new and old ones) support the Roco z21 hardware (of course), and also: - Digikeijs DR5000 (now out of production, but still show up now and then second-hand) - YaMoRC "YD7100" (not released yet, delayed in production due to chip shortage) - ZIMO (I...
  8. J.Albert

What happened .

Something tells me you ordered from a dodgy (fake?) site. Just be glad you get your $$$ back...
  9. J.Albert

If you were to work for a railroad, which one would it be and what position?

I hired out in 1979, one of the last to start out as a "fireman" on Conrail before they stopped hiring firemen in 1980 (and the craft largely disappeared). Got promoted, ran trains for Conrail, Amtrak, even a little on Metro-North (I also was one of the now-gone "forever firemen" on MN in 1983...
  10. J.Albert

Here's what the z21 app (the older one) looks like on a tablet, with 2 engine controls side-by-side:
  11. J.Albert

OP wrote: "I guess my intentions are to run the system via my iPad Pro or iPhone 14 with a suitably good app." Well, in that case, you should consider what is absolutely the best "app" out there: The FREE Roco z21 app. You can try this right now "in demo mode". Go to Apple's App Store Search...
  12. J.Albert

What is the best locomotive

Actually, for medium duty road and switching, "the best" engine in the Conrail era was the GP-38. Smooth runners, good pullers, reliable -- the epitome of "a good horse". I ran plenty of them in my years there (along with almost everything else they had). GP-40s were more often found on faster...
  13. J.Albert

Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

RE Old 97's graphic above in #972... It was 1983 or 84. I was on a Conrail job that used to run from Danbury, Connecticut, up the Harlem line to Wassaic, New York, back before Metro-North bought and rebuilt the line. A nice job that ran once or twice a week. I recall the conductor that day was...
  14. J.Albert

Is DCC sound really required?

My preference is dcc withOUT sound. I even have a couple of sound-equipped engines on which I turn the sound OFF when running them.
  15. J.Albert

Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

NorthBrit wrote: "I have a damn hacking cough. A PITA. Kept me awake the best part of the night." This works for me: I get Hall's or Ludens sugar-free cough drops. Don't know if they have them over there, but I'm sure there are equivalents. Then, I put one into my cheek at bedtime. Just let it...

Back