Recent content by IshkaBibble

1. I

Is 18 gauge wire sufficient for N scale layout?

Maybe we're beating a dead horse here, but keep in mind that an under-the-table bus with #12 solid wire won't cost much more than a #18 stranded and is much easier to strip and solder taps. A drop of .3 volts doesn't sound like much from a 17 volt supply, but you have to consider real operating...
  2. I

Sure, 18 AWG is fine. By the rule of thumb, 22 AWG would only be .016 ohms for a pair of 6 inch feeders. My choice would be 20 AWG stranded. Don't use mechanical connectors, the become resistive over time. Soldering is the only way to go and be sure that all the strands are soldered.
  3. I

Here's more than you want to know: A rule of thumb is that the resistance of #10 AWG copper wire is about 1 ohm per 1000 ft. and doubles every 3 wire sizes. A #19 AWG wire would therefore be around 8 ohms per 1000 ft. A 13x6 layout would add up to almost 40 feet of wire and a round trip of...
  4. I

simple flasher for crossbucks & lights...

Hi New... I'll probably get slammed for advertising a commercial product, but that's really not fair. My partner set out to give the model railroaders a break by designing a superior product at an affordable price. We've been working with HO, but we can probably adapt to N, (we've...
  5. I

Grade crossing flasher detection unit - recommendations needed

Infrared Crossing Sensor/Flasher You're welcome to visit my web-page, www.railroadmicro.com and consider my flasher kit. It's a real build-it-yourself kit at a mere fraction of the price of others while quite likely outperforming them. Other similarly priced kits are waiting in the wings...
  6. I

RR Crossing Flasher/Bell/Gate kits

I resurrected my old web-page and posted the .doc file for the RR Flasher kit. I hope you'll find it understandable, I haven't had any help with a critique of it. http://ballroom.home.mchsi.com/ Rich
  7. I

Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

I resurrected my old web-page and posted the .doc file for the RR Flasher kit. I hope you'll find it understandable, I haven't had any help with a critique of it. http://ballroom.home.mchsi.com/ Rich
  8. I

Power Transformer Recommendation for Atlas turnouts

Sorry, but most turnouts require several amps to operate. Their coil resistance is only several ohms, a 5 ohm coil will draw 3 amps at 15 volts. Although it's only for a short duration, an 800 mA transformer won't deliver the current needed. It could be rectified and used to charge a fat...
  9. I

RR Crossing Flasher/Bell/Gate kits

Is there any interest in a flashing RR Crossing sign with track detectors that I've developed and that you can put together real cheap. I have a bell module working but not perfected and have a motorized gate in development for limited quantities. All are planned to be under $20. So...
  10. I

Hi and thanks for responding! It's auto-compensated transmissive IR. (Not reflective). It'll easily detect across several feet.
  11. I

RR Crossing Flasher/Bell/Gate kits I'm new here and haven't figured this thing out yet. Can someone steer me in the right direction? I've developed a flashing RR Crossing sign with track detectors that you can put together real cheap. The only forums that I see are pretty much dead and I...

Back