Recent content by IowaFarmBoy

1. IowaFarmBoy

Do you lke what you do for a living?

I'm also one of the retired and I like my job. I'm much too familiar with MRSA, Carey. And I am definitely familiar with the iv machine screaming its' unhappiness because there are air bubbles in the line and the vancomycin can't get through. Treatment for it was long term enough that a PICC...
  2. IowaFarmBoy

Coffee grounds and sawdust?

Sawdust can be all different sizes. Sifted sawdust depends on the size of the screen. If it looks too coarse then get a finer screen. I have a sieve from Walmart that gives me the equivalent of sander dust. That is about as fine as white flour and finer that Woodland Scenics Fine Turf.
  3. IowaFarmBoy

Looking for a low-run, not too costly, custom decal mfr

If you cannot find a cheap source I could print them for you. I have CorelDRAW X5 to manipulate the graphics. However, and NSacler will probably agree with me, not only is making your own easy but also you can get hooked on making unique items because it is so easy.
  4. IowaFarmBoy

Engine House 1950 and Earlier

Back in the 1950s my 2 local grain elevators each used a farm tractor with a loader to move things around. They even pushed empty boxcars for grain loading. The full cars required the car pullers that they had. A regular tractor gives you another option on what you could use. As to wood...
  5. IowaFarmBoy

X-Acto #11 blades: sharpener or replacements?

If you have used the whetstone enough to wear it out then get another one. I suspect that sharpening is almost second nature to you.
  6. IowaFarmBoy

Scrap Yard Crane

See if you can fit the rubber tires on the excavator. If you can then put it back on ebay. Maybe you can break even or better. :)
  7. IowaFarmBoy

Ancient N Scale: Atlas C-liners

I know that this is replying to an old thread. The next time you need to hide scratches on a windshield or any clear styrene try a trick from aircraft modelers do the best you can and then dip the entire windshield in Pledge with Future Finish and let it dry. Voila! No scratches or fogging...
  8. IowaFarmBoy

Kato SD-40 keeps jumping track

If you run it long hood first does the same truck derail? If so I would certainly suspect a problem with that truck and not the other one or the track.
  9. IowaFarmBoy

Manual Turnout Throws from Fascia - Ideas wanted

A few months ago Model Railroader magazine had an article about fascia mounted switch controls which use 3-way light switches (mine were $1.39 each from Walmart in a shallow electrical box which was $0.59 at Lowe's) as the mechanism which also can be wired for routing power to a metal frog.
  10. IowaFarmBoy

Simulating ground leaves

Sawdust does clump badly if colored. I sift my sawdust with a kitchen sieve before coloring and throw the really coarse stuff away. That's probably 1/4 to 1/2 of it. Then I dump some of it in "My" blender and not "Her" blender. I add some acrylic craft paint for color and then enough water...
  11. IowaFarmBoy

Annoying Ads...

Of the last 12 ads I just checked one was duplicated and none of the rest have anything to do with what I browse. Part of them were for CNC mills which I have no interest in at all. :D There is probably a pool of ads that you get no matter what you do. I don't use any ad blocker but don't...
  12. IowaFarmBoy

Annoying Ads...

Of the last 12 ads I just checked one was duplicated and none of the rest have anything to do with what I browse. Part of them were for CNC mills which I have no interest in at all. :D There is probably a pool of ads that you get no matter what you do. I don't use any ad blocker but don't...
  13. IowaFarmBoy

Annoying Ads...

My experiences tell me that if you happen to be a farmer and have a decent policy then shopping around for another insurance company is not a good idea. Very few insurance companies know anything about coverage for an actual working farm.= and you find out that "No, that isn't covered." is a...
  14. IowaFarmBoy

Is it necessary to seal Mixed Lichen

One thing about air fern for me at least was that I did nothing to it after making the Campbell trees and in a few years it dried out and crumbled to dust. That may not happen to others.
  15. IowaFarmBoy

Another "returnee" question. What kind of glue? I'm running out.

I'm another MEK and lacquer thinner user for styrene. I have some Slater's Plastikard patterned sheets and Slater's liquid glue for styrene is MEK. Additionally a quart of MEK from a big box store is about $5.00 to $7.00.I am 65 and I doubt that I will model enough more years to use up the...

Back