Recent content by iomalley

1. iomalley

Atlas' GP40-2w pics are up...

Sure, it's 0.91 on the Atlas, 0.95 on the CPRep...I wish I had a Railflyer to compare...:( Atlas did fix that dimensional error from the pre-production, it was way out originally...
  2. iomalley

You are right, but there was a change in the window rubber made some time in the late 80's. the original rubber was replaced with a gasket sandwiched between aluminum frames like your pics. Here's the as built smaller gasketted windows... My dad used to work in the shops, and the old...
  3. iomalley

You just have to look at the cab, analyze it and you can see the Atlas errors... I worked for CN for 4 years, spent many hours staring thru widecab windows, they are too small on the Atlas... putting a tape measure to the real thing will solidify the Atlas error...
  4. iomalley

Not quite, the nose still has beaucoup errors. I tool a vernier caliper to it using a Canadian Prototype Replica cab (which is THE benchmark cab, and aside from the slider windows is the same as the railflyer cab) The top of the nose is 0.050" (4.4") too narrow The nose isn't tall enough by...
  5. iomalley

Why doesn't Atlas make more GP7s and GP9s?

I had heard that the GP7 moulds were just plain worn out and Atlas (because of competition) didn't feel like making new ones or fixing the old ones...I had heard that from my LHS when I bought one of the last runs, a D&TS painted one...
  6. iomalley

Amtrak NCPU's

Here's the NPCU I did using the MBE end plates. they are solid as a rock and no need to splice in styrene to fill the hole. You just need to salvage the Amtrak style MU/HEP plugs off the LL ends... here's a link to the part(s) http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/itm00157.htm
  7. iomalley

Amtrak NCPU's

Minatures by Eric makes brass pilots with coupler pockets, for the VIA units mind you, but the end plates are the same.
  8. iomalley

RR based songs.... change of pace....

Doobie Bros. - Long Train Runnin'
  9. iomalley

Kaslo shell

Detail is excellent for a resin kit. Photoetched details like fans and rads... http://www.customtrains-canada.com/resinkits.html
  10. iomalley

Gmd f59ph

email John Whitmore directly... info(AT)kasloshops.com be patient with the response, he commutes 1000 mi to work each week....
  11. iomalley

Does all lichen harden over time?

glycerine will bring it back... http://www.pomfret.com/user/railroad/tips/lichen/
  12. iomalley

LBF Cars - Old, or Just Cheap?

I have a LBF Cotton Belt 50' hicube and while it was a bit of a chore to build, once it was assembled, extra detail and decals added, WmKW trucks w/ NWSL wheels, details west coupler pockets, underframe brake rigging added and weathered, it turned out to be a mighty fine model...but it took some...
  13. iomalley

GP9 screens

Kaslo also makes photoetched sets for their CN GP9rms, CP GP9s and IC GP10s...rad grilles, fan tops, lift rings, drop steps, footboards etc...their rad grilles look especially awesome! they may be available from them separately from their kits...(they usually make extras)
  14. iomalley

Old brass caboose

so you gave up on 1974?
  15. iomalley

Frateschi

Ok, all of you are speculating... I have both a Frateschi G12 BB and G12 A1A as they are the only source of these models (that I know of) to build a CNR G12. Unfortunately they are OO scale models, with HO scale wheelsets for whatever reason. I obtained them for GMD1 trucks which are...

Back