Recent content by inflammable

1. I

Prototype for Everything

Does it look like the hill was put there, solely so that the railroad could have a cut through it? Imagine if it were a tunnel... James
  2. I

Clever little switcher

They made using the handbrake look easy. I bet there's a slight incline there just off the crossing. With the car going as fast as it was when the forklift let off, the brakeman would have made it to the next town even on a level grade! James
  3. I

Aerial Photo Tour: RJ Corman Sand Train

Sand Train There is a link to a slide show from Kentucky.com. It has some good photos. James
  4. I

Speaking of Henry Ford...

One of the Ford SW1500's seems to be in Kansas: Railpictures James
  5. I

Untreated Crosstie Handling

Trees to Track Videos Here are some videos showing the basic sawing process of wooden ties. Gross and Janes Co. James
  6. I

Strasburg vs. Real Short Lines

I'm not sure I agree that a long hood forward diesel counts as 'Backwards'. I'm a natural Southern Railway fan, and a learned Norfolk and Western Railroad fan, and I feel that Long Hood Forward is a fine way to run! For modern railroading, I feel that using a 'Shoving Platform' counts as...
  7. I

Speaking of Henry Ford...

Here is a partial list:Fallen Flags. Ford is about halfway down the page. I've seen a photo of the centercab GE, but it evidently wasn't on the above site. Here's a photo of the Ford Centercab: Wellsville, Addison, and Galeton. The Ford section is near the top. Scroll down just a little...
  8. I

2nd Anual How Many Contest????

Jerome, thanks for making the contest! James
  9. I

Prototype for Everything

http://www.nolancompany.com/Main/Rerailers/Rerailers.asp Permanent Rerailer. Though, this could also be filed under 'The Model Came First'. James
  10. I

2nd Anual How Many Contest????

156. The black Sandersville Railroad #400. James
  11. I

I'm not 100% sure that they're rebuilt. I think I read it in the article in Trains a few years ago. I'd have to figure which issue, then dig through my shelves. Rebuilt could easily mean the original sill and framework, and a completely new body. James
  12. I

There's some interesting things in this photo, too. The truck scale, presumably for the departing sand trucks. The dump truck near it is RJ Corman, so it's probably there for the construction. Look at how the engine house is built. Those are containers stacked up for the sides. I haven't...
  13. I

There's been a lot of work down at the Water St yard, where the sand trains are unloaded. A new overpass has been built, and it has a nice wide sidewalk for looking at trains. The sand yard. The dump truck is there for the construction going on, I don't think it's used for transporting sand...
  14. I

3 foot gauge dimensions

Thank you Harold. That's what I was looking for! James
  15. I

3 foot gauge dimensions

Not anything in particular, I was hoping for some 'common' information. Or possibly the word that I disdain when reading model railroading magazines 'Typical'. I guess if I had to pick something, then I'd choose Colorado narrow gauges. D&RGW, C&S, C&T. I've never visited out there, so even a...

Back