Recent content by hunslet040

1. H

Marklin HO Flying Scotsman!

Looked on the UK certain website earlier and there are plenty of Trix versions - Gaugemaster has 12+ and Jadlam 11 and there are a few Marklin versions at low prices ( not so popular in the UK) I don't like the shiny copper tubing and lubricators around the front of the loco. Surely the real...
  2. H

Organizing desk/workbench

This is part of my workbench with the most useful item on it. Just a cheap office type organizer which holds all my most used tools, Screwdrivers, strippers, pliers & cutters, pencils pens Etc. Very useful and time saving not having to hunt for the tool required.
  3. H

Can oval layouts bring enough satisfaction?

As my main H0 and my narrow gauge and Trolleybus layouts are inaccessible at the moment I have to make do with running 9mm and 12mm gauge trains around ovals on a display board ! This gives some satisfaction just running the trains even in such a small space.
  4. H

CV values (NCE Powercab)

Hi. According to the manual for The Athearn Genesis GP7 and 9 the bell type cannot be changed ( unlike the horn) but there are a couple of sound parameters that can be changed. These are from my manual which came with my GP9B G62911 so check that this is the series that you are looking at. The...
  5. H

Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

A couple of French wagons arrived recently . Open wagon with mineral load by Roco and a Fourgon ( Luggage van) from REE.
  6. H

The 60/40 Layout And Other Railway Related Things

This loco is by Trix and was also sold under the Liliput ( UK ) brand. It was based on the German Trix Express/International DB BR18 pacific and was available in 2 or 3 rail hence the tender arrangements. Also available with tender drive ( From the earlier A4 model) with drive gears and shafts...
  7. H

They look to me like representation of Disk brake rotors which are fitted to many modern rolling stock.
  8. H

So what are you listening to right NOW?

Fairy tale of New York by the Pogues with Kirsty McColl. In Memory of Shane MacGowan of the Pogues who passed away last week
  9. H

Lets do it again Favorite photo

This was taken in 2012 and shows the Festiniog and Welsh Highland trains in Porthmadog station North Wales. Festiniog loco is a "Fairlie" double ender while the WH loco is a Garratt from South Africa. This shot is not possible now because of changes to the track layout ( Note the Haul road in...
  10. H

Marklin Steamers

According to a 1965 Marklin Catalog I have they recommend screws for "M" or Metal track base . They do not give a size but a countersunk screw with length to suit the baseboard should do. I have had a look for my 2-6-0 loco to examine the axles for any sign of keying but the box is at the...
  11. H

Marklin Steamers

The motor is small enough to fit on the truck while the reverser mechanism is on the chassis. This is my V200 original Kit which explains. r Marklin locos with the spur gear mechanism suffer from what is called " Hard Oil Syndrome" where over time the oil hardens to a solid and jams up the...
  12. H

While on the subject of axles, wheels and trucks I picked these wheels up recently for a 5" gauge wagon I am building. A little larger than usually shown on here but still a model. I have machined the axles to length but they need to be turned down to fit the wheels and bearings. It is to...
  13. H

I had a set of Marklin PFE ( Pacific Fruit Express ) cars which I converted to 2-rail by changing the wheel sets. I found that the usual U.S. wheel set axles were wider than the Marklin and therefore stressed the truck side frames. I got replacements from a company in Germany who unfortunately...
  14. H

I found a couple of French coaches by the "France Trains" company. This firm closed in 1981 so they are quite old but are very good with full interiors. Here they are hauled by my 232 U1 ( 4-6-4 Hudson) which is one of the few locos made by Jouef that I have. The full size loco is in the French...
  15. H

Switching Saturday

The couplers are just a smaller version of the "Loop and Peg" type used by the majority of European H0 manufacturers since the 1940s. The train in the top photo is an original Eggerbahn set from 1963 so is 60 years old and works perfectly although with only one axle driven it's haulage capacity...

Back