Recent content by HOGrandTrunk

1. HOGrandTrunk

Beginning a new layout (HO Scale, circa 1920s)

I just had a "duh" moment. I didn't think about the ballast and its concrete effect on the roadbed. No worries. See, this is why the forum is so great! <grin> I'll keep all y'all posted on the progress, of course. Thanks
  2. HOGrandTrunk

First new project in years

Do you remember what issue had the water and sponge technique? I'm returning to modeling after 25 years, so I'm playing some catchup <grin>. Good Luck with the plan, I'd love to hear about how the building is going and any new tricks that you discover.
  3. HOGrandTrunk

Maine railroads

We'll assume it was a typo. We wouldn't want to offend any Mainers. :-)
  4. HOGrandTrunk

BTW, thanks for all the welcomes! I glued the split cork to the plywood, then nailed it with 5/8 wire nails to keep it in place until it dried, then nailed the track with black track nails - which are only 5/8, too, hence the worry about the track coming up. I'm thinking homosote or foam for...
  5. HOGrandTrunk

Road bed While I'm in the process of designing my own, I've been doing some work on my kids (making mistakes there :o ), and I've run into something that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm using the cork road bed, which is nice enough to work with, but the seam is in the middle of hte...
  6. HOGrandTrunk

I measured the dimensions this past weekend (I just got in from Philly flight), I have 12.5 feet across the back wall, I can come out five feet (or more), so I'm thinking either duck-under or peninsula. Also, I figured out I could go through the wall and have a shelf layout on the other side of...
  7. HOGrandTrunk

HAha, I thought about doing both and haven't dismissed it, but it sounds daunting. As for the four feet, I think I can get away with more and create a walk in or duck under to the depth isn't more than 24 inches or so in any direction. I lost a lot of geography, but it makes it more...
  8. HOGrandTrunk

I haven't built anything for over 25 years, I'm getting back into it. My kids saw my old trains in a box and went ga-ga. I guess the bug gets passed to the next generation. When i did my last layout, DCC was just an idea! I have three old engines, probably won't use them on my layout, will...

Back